Urgent Speaker Help...ok, it's not exactly urgent

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulieTunes, Mar 21, 2023.

1. PaulieTunes

PaulieTunes Member Thread Starter

I really could use some help and suggestions for speakers. First, I'll tell you what I have right now.

Dedicated listening room about 11.5' x 17' x 8'
    Speakers are on the short wall about a foot and a half from the sides and about 2.5' from front wall to front baffle. Speakers are about 8' apart and I sit about 9' away. Large rug covers most of the room along with some other acoustic treatments including first reflection.

Focal Chora 826 with REL t/5x sub
    Primaluna Dialogue Premium integrated amp
    Aesthetix Rhea Signature phono stage
    Modified Rega P3 with vintage Koetsu Rosewood
    I love listening to jazz, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Amy Winehouse, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd....

Overall, this system was working pretty darn well and I love the extended soundstage of the Focals. The REL was certainly needed but turned down to a very modest level versus what the sub is capable of. The improvement I'm looking for is more around the top end. I'm looking for something slightly less forward in the treble than the 826 tends to provide.

Enter the Arias. About a week ago I received a pair of new Focal Aria 936. This was going to be it. A smoother top end but keeping all the wonderful aspects (soundstage) that Focal is known for. I realize, of course, that new speakers need some breaking in.

As soon as I start playing them, I'm overwhelmed by the bass. There's so much, way too much. I immediately remove the REL. Still too much. I order a set of ISO Acoustic Gaia II feet. They help overall, but still a lot of bass. I play around with speaker placement but overall the bass is still overwhelming and I'm not getting that smooth midrange nor the wonderful soundstage that I was with the Choras.

Yes, I'll give it some more time to break in the Arias but...
    Is it possible the 936 are simply too much speaker for this modestly sized room?
    Would the 926 be a better choice?
    Based on the gear I already have and the room size, what speakers would you recommend to for someone looking for a great soundstage and beautiful midrange? Happy to look at either floor standing, stand mounts, new or used under $5k US.

Thanks for your help!

2. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

Have you moved the Aria's further out into your listening room? If not, I would try that first. I have a smaller room than you with speakers that are rated to go lower than the Aria's and I use a REL 212/SX sub that is a monster but I don't have overwhelming bass like you are describing. My speakers are away from the corners of the room and further out from the front wall than yours and it sounds great!

3. PaulieTunes

Thanks for chiming in, Chazz. I have done that and it helped just a smidge but not nearly enough.

4. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

I agree with @Chazz
    Try bringing the speakers forward- start with the rear of the speaker about 4’ from the front wall. Also try starting with little to no toe in. Leave the sub out of the picture. When you get the bass to sound properly from your listening position then start adjusting for imaging.

5. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

Also, do you have any bass traps or room treatment? I have bass traps in my corners to help tame the boom.

C10 likes this.
  6. PaulieTunes

I don't have bass traps as of yet and realize they might help. And yes, I will pull them forward significantly more to see if there are significant SQ changes but....as mentioned, the room is already tight and more importantly, this strategy will NOT pass the WAF.

7. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Probably you have room modes and the new speakers put out too much energy in the low frecuencies so that those modes really get going. Maybe you should try a dsd or an Equalizer.

8. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

WAF is a real struggle.......trust me, I know. That being said, I think you either need to try the 926's or add some bass traps to help with the excessive bass you are experiencing now. I wish you luck!

9. PaulieTunes

An equalizer isn't a bad idea although I think it would feel like cheating just a little bit.

Boltman92124 and lobo like this.
  10. PaulieTunes

Thank you, Chazz!

11. Bagan

Bagan Forum Resident

Perhaps a bit more of a break in period is necessary?

My experience has been that all aspects of speakers improve once given sufficient time for break in.

12. PaulieTunes

I agree that it does still need more break-in time, Bagan. But it would have to break into an entirely different sounding speaker at this point. I feel like I need a ton more room treatment or a different set of speakers.

Any suggestions for a set of speakers as described in my original post?

13. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

@PaulieTunes
    Your room is just about 1-1.5’ larger than the space I have my setup in and it sounds great. I’m not familiar with your speakers but I’m running Dynaudio Sapphire floor standing spkrs with an ARC setup. I use no bass traps- only absorption panels one the walls and ceiling just forward of the speakers.
    If you haven’t used/purchased acoustic treatment before hold off until you’ve performed as much adjustment as you can with critical listening in between- you don’t want to add other influencing factors into the mix prematurely.
    Also- it may be helpful to move your listening position forward by about a foot. This will increase the time it takes for reflections from the rear walls to make it back to you as well as put you more into focus based on your speaker spacing.

14. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Move....buy her a new house that includes a larger media room so you can put the speakers where u want.
    WAF Free Zone....

15. PaulieTunes

LOL - if only

16. PaulieTunes

Any thoughts on alternative speakers? Great soundstage, luscious mids, not much bass needed as I have the REL.

17. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Get rid of the REL?

18. PaulieTunes

Not sure how that will help me as I've already pulled it out of the room.

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Try plugging the ports. Start with one and if that doesn't do it plug both. Fill in the bottom with the REL.

The Pinhead and mattsob1 like this.
  20. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

That's what I'd try too.

I think it's got both front and down ports, ya?

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If you try out one of the analog EQ's, the Schiit Lokius has the 125hz control the Loki doesn't.

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. PaulieTunes

Thanks for the recommendation, Boltman. I'll check it out.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  23. PaulieTunes

It does have both front and down ports. Didn't come with port plugs but I'll plug em up with some foam.

24. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Yep plug the ports. I'd try pulling them ridiculously far from the back wall just to see if they can work in the room at all bass-wise. Then start moving them back until you find the bass tuned to your liking. Bass traps are probably next option. Is it possible to re-arrange the room so that the speakers are not on the short wall?

It's possible your speakers are just too big for your room. Getting the right size speakers for your room is really important. Too small and they won't fill the room and sound anemic. Too big and they overwhelm or become difficult to image correctly or too much bass as you are experiencing.

The Pinhead, jeffrey75 and Toneh like this.
  25. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

You can tune the sound some with interconnects, speaker cables, and preamp tubes. But I'd start with plugs and placement.