Uriah Heep Album By Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Dec 19, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

All the years, drugs, alcohol, biases etc etc ... hard to get accurate info :)

ILoveMyDogs and Zeki like this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Except it was relatively big news in the music industry when David Byron got the sack!

ILoveMyDogs and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Final Solution
    This starts off very much like something Heep would do, with the held tone, and the organ coming in somewhat ominously, then we break into a kind of rock type track.
    Structurally it has a bit of an eighties feel, but the sounds don't get hampered by that.
    I think here Ken gets back into a strong melodic writing style, and I think the song works on that level.
    The harmonised instrumental section is really nice, and the drop out solo vocal in there works well also.
    I reckon this is a good track.

ILoveMyDogs and serj like this.
  4. ILoveMyDogs

ILoveMyDogs Forum Resident

Another solid track showing that Hensley seemingly enjoys recording again.

Five songs into the new album, Out Of My Control still remains my favourite track so far (up until the in my view superb songs Finney's Tale and A Little Piece Of Me arrive).

PS: Agreeing to everything Mark said.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Final Solution: I guess I’ll be the grumpy old guy, but I don’t like this at all. Other than the very short bridge. Sounds like 80s MTV, composition by numbers.

6. ILoveMyDogs

"composition by numbers" isn't far off, I agree.
    This mirrors somehow what I meant with "solid" in case of You've Got It and Final Solution.

I guess I am just so pro-Hensley and happy that he came back after his 20 year hiatus.
    Plus there is enough good material on this album that I don't mind.

mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  7. mark winstanley

It's Up To You
    This starts out as a moderate rock song, with a steady beat, some organ to accent the beat. some power chords come in to bulk it up .... underneath we have what seems like a horn line, but .... is it a guitar effected, or a synth?
    Anyway, the arrangement is nice.
    We drop out for the vocal and then the riff section comes back.
    The chorus delivers a bit of power, and the song actually seems pretty good. I would like more clarity on the main riff.... That makes me think it's a synth, and they are sort of hiding it a bit, but it works effectively enough.
    I do like the chorus here though.

ILoveMyDogs likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Finney's Tale
    This track is kind of interesting, it kind of kicks in like a folk track, but we get some strings , or pretty decent pretend strings, I can't tell at the moment.
    Anyway, this comes across as a straight ballad, and rolls along nicely.
    I like the fact that keeps the verses pretty straight with the acoustic, it gives us a much needed organic kind of sound and feel. Underneath we have the organ, and it's playing a support role, not stealing too much attention, but adding to the general sound and feel.
    I think the song works really quite well.... I don't mind the strings, but in this instance I wonder if it would have been more successful without them.

ILoveMyDogs likes this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It’s Up To You: poppy, hook laden (filled?), pleasant enough but not what I seek out in a Hensley song. I wouldn’t put it on one of my patented :)D ) playlists.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Finney’s Tale: I vote that we keep this one off of @Kingsley Fats radar. His heart might not be able to take it. :D

Lyrically, Jim Croce-ish.

11. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

or pretty decent pretend strings. Surely an oxymoron.

I'm trying to get back to this thread but I keep getting dragged away by a number of unrelated things.

The little bits & pieces that I am hearing are not lifting my enthusiasm.

ILoveMyDogs, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  12. ILoveMyDogs

It's Up To You

Opening track on AGOG and already discussed on page 223 (#5569 onwards).

Even Zeki liked it.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D

14. ILoveMyDogs

Finney's Tale

Hensley was ~31 when the Byron-era of classic Heep ended and ~35 when he left Uriah Heep.
    At the relase of Running Blind he was approaching 60.

Unlike some of his peers at his age (and beyond his age) Hensley does not pretend to still be a 'wild' rock star.

I quite like Finney's Tale.
    Both, musically and lyrically.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Earlier: “not bad though not, to be honest, that interesting, either.”
    Now: “pleasant enough.”
    :)

mark winstanley and ILoveMyDogs like this.
  16. ILoveMyDogs

Is this a good or a bad thing? I am not familiar with this artist other than that he died young and wrote Bad, Bad Leroy Brown which got a rather bad review on Stereogum The Number Ones: Jim Croce’s “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown” [That column by Tom Breihan is great btw]

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  17. ILoveMyDogs

You also wrote "Pretty good." :D

18. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Listen to "Operator" "Time In A Bottle" or "I Got A Name." Great artist that died way too young at the peak of his career.

Zeki, mark winstanley and ILoveMyDogs like this.
  19. ILoveMyDogs

Thanks for the info!

20. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I forgot to mention "Lover's Cross" Powerful song. Jim had a knack for writing novelty type songs like Leroy Brown,
    but he could get really deep also, as displayed in this song. Yes, I'm a fan. :D

ILoveMyDogs, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Sorry, just following the order. When I looked I thought you had done the first three or four .... oh dopey me (in my best Mork from Orc impression)

ILoveMyDogs likes this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I liked Jim Croce. Haven’t listened to him since ...Hmm? The seventies? I don’t think it’s a bad thing. I was just saying it as a description.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Okay, okay! :D (You are correct.)

24. ILoveMyDogs

This is getting slightly confusing ( = I am confused now :D )

It's Up To You is track #6 on Running Blind (2002) and was also track #1 on AGOG (1999) [but taken-off from the revised version of AGOG (2003)]
    So it's all good. I just wanted to mention that this track had been discussed already during AGOG.

And yes, I had done the 2 instrumental opening tracks on Running Blind: #1 Overture: La Tristeza Secreta De Un Corazon Gitano as well as #2 Prelude: A Minor Life
    I further continued with track #3 Out Of My Control, a song nobody picked up so far (even it's a good one (well at least I think so)).
    Then you took over again (thankfully).

PS: I'm proud to say I remember Mork from Ork and Mindy as well as shazbut and the na-nu na-nu greeting quite well - that show was great fun!

25. mark winstanley

Hahaha .... I thought you meant you had posted it for this album lol.

I'm running around so much at the moment, I had to think what agog even was lol

ILoveMyDogs likes this.