Uriah Heep - Their greatest album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks to the album by album thread (all voters should take a look...and participate. It’s a lot of fun) I just changed my vote (from LAY to D&W). Maybe it’ll change again!

2. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Salisbury (UK) has been my favorite forever. But between …Very ‘Eavy … Very ‘Umble, Look At Yourself, Firefly (UK), Demons and Wizards, Live and Magician’s Birthday I don’t have 2nd favorite, they are all wonderful.

As far as to why, there is simply nothing like Salisbury (track) in their catalog, I’m never tired of Lady In Black, and The Park always captivates me. Add Come Away Melinda to the list and you have all unique songs of theirs that stand taller than the rest for me, recorded early on.

Zeki likes this.
  3. TimmyTantrum

TimmyTantrum Well-Known Member

Objective best? Demons and Wizards. Like Close to the Edge is Yes' best, or Paranoid is Sabbath's, or Machine Head is Purple's, etc. But none of those are my favorite albums from their respective bands.

My favorite UH album, for now anyway, is Abominog. I really, really dig the Goalby era, and I thought Heep did well to take a break from Hensley's dominance and increasingly burnt-out songwriting. I know it's half covers to make up for Hensley's absence, but the songs are well-chosen and it works as a cohesive album. Excellent melodies, performance, a band reborn. Great album to just put on and go for a drive.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  4. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I liked Abominog too, it's a very very good album & I saw them live sometime around 85 with Pete as the lead singer. It was a really good show!
    However, D&W is my favourite Heep album. I think its hard to beat.

The MEZ and TimmyTantrum like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Abominog is good for what it is but it is Heep in name only. It is Uriah Heep as a hair metal/AOR band rather than old school Heep.

6. TimmyTantrum

TimmyTantrum Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, D&W is far and away my favorite Heep album from the '70s. It's an absolute classic, definitely top-3 of all Heep for me. Plus, how cool is that Roger Dean cover? I just reach for Abominog the most. Chalk it up to questionable taste in music, I guess. :wiggle:

Speaking of "in name only," my favorite album by Yes is Drama, so... Maybe I was destined to like Abominog the most!

Slim Zooms and John Fell like this.
  7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

You're right. I enjoyed it at the time though. Certainly enjoyed Goalby's vocals more than John Sloman's.

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.