US CD sales (2024)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Retro Music Man, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the US so far this year (as of 8 Feb):
    • CD: 2.5m units (same time last year: 3.7m units)
    • Vinyl: 2.8m units (same time last year: 5.3m units)
    Now, sales of both formats have decreased (a lack of top new releases?). But something to note is that vinyl sales are down by over 46% from last year, but CD sales have only reduced by 31%.

The takeaway from this is: there was a gap of 1.6m units between CD and vinyl at this time last year, but now it's only 300, 000. And yet they say that CD is dead.....

Music Streams, Sales in the U.S.: Weekly Totals for February 8, 2024

bluesbro, bmh5879, Dave112 and 35 others like this.
  2. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

Maybe when Taylor Swift releases her new album the numbers will become more even with last year?

3. Interesting, all it will take is a dispute between Spotify, Amazon and Apple, etc., over streaming payments to the labels, a hiccup and the hard copy formats will have renewed value. Never say never as we are living in a time of post never, so anything can happen.

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I find it interesting that with both vinyl and CDs selling as niche products that many Forumites first thought is to start a fraticidal war against the other niche format, now based on weekly figures. Before at least it was 6 months..

Radical thought: How about people who like CDs or vinyl support the format to a greater extent themselves.

5. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it's great - incredible, actually - that both vinyl and CD are still selling so well. And I hope that both formats continue to do well in the future.

I just wanted to provide some data to counteract the commonly held belief amongst music journalists, forum posters and others that the modern music landscape is just streaming + vinyl. There's space and demand for another format.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's still down.

ARK likes this.
  7. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Interesting, I think one main factor is that LPs have gotten too expensive. The industry is killing itself. On purpose?

8. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Physical product is general is still declining. The music industry revenue comes mostly from streaming l.

Witchy Woman and Pianoman99 like this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If Taylor's CD sales shoot through the roof, are disgruntled football fans going to have to go out and buy old Toby Keith discs en masse in protest? Wal-Mart wins either way.

bmh5879, Michael S, Davmoco and 9 others like this.
  10. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

So basically what I am seeing here is that physical formats are being crushed by streaming services as usual.

bmh5879, RiRiIII, Anaplian and 6 others like this.
  11. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

This is like having a discussion about whether more people bought manual typewriters or electric typewriters last year.

12. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Yeah last year everyone was (still) buying SZA's SOS album for the first 3 months of the year and Shania Twain released a new one for the first time in forever. Late 2023/early 2024's album releases have not moved the masses.

The Trinity and ghoulsurgery like this.
  13. Warand Pain

Warand Pain Forum Resident

These threads will not stop until the last hipster shut the lights and close the door.

14. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I think what would be more interesting would be to see who is selling & at what volume in the respective formats.
    Also the demography of the purchasers.
    For me my interests have seldom ever resided amongst the huge sellers.

Marty T, EwaWoowa, Joel Zerns and 2 others like this.
  15. parman

parman Music Junkie

I can only speak for me but I have backed off of buying vinyl because of the cost. Go ahead, blame me for the down turn

16. Jimmy Chop

Jimmy Chop Forum Resident

CDs only for me. And not many, because I am putting twin daughters through college. (The last two to get out the door!)
    No vinyl and no streaming/downloads at all.
    In fact, I just sold off my deceased uncle's jazz vinyl collection and gave my parent's vinyl collection to my son.
    Couldn't be happier.
    Now need to sell my uncle's two turntables, extra needles, receiver/amplifier, and two sets of speakers.
    We shall see how it goes.
    Enjoy the music!

17. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

How do we explain the massive drop in vinyl? I mean it’s like a 47% drop??
    This sounds fishy to me…

Murph and ODShowtime like this.
  18. Jimmy Chop

Jimmy Chop Forum Resident

$$$
    Enjoy the music!

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I think Streaming and Purchased Downloads are speaking up...

20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

My interpretation:

- CD's have sold less units in 2024 than medium they replaced in the 1980's; Vinyl
    - CD's sales have reduced 31% compared to last year for same time frame. That is a huge decrease, can't see how that is in any way positive.
    - Vinyl has decreased 46% since last year - OK, but just because it's lost a higher percentage does not make the horrid numbers for CD's anymore telling.
    - Vinyl is a much higher average selling price and profit per unit. Thus higher business tolerance for lower numbers than CD.

I really am not sure of the message of this thread...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Northwind, pinkrudy and subzro like this.
  21. My guess is
    1-Fewer high profile new releases.Remember for a lot of titles now the biggest sales are preorders and Week 1.
    2-The Great Vinyl Price Gouge is beginning to bite.Even on this site which is hardly representative of the market many people have been posting they are giving up or cutting down on buying new vinyl because of price.The greed of the industry is killing another niche.

22. Not purchased downloads.They are only a small fraction of CD and Vinyl sales and have been for a few years.Not much above cassettes.

23. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I find it strange that there are lots of articles claiming that CDs are going away and that CDs are making a comeback. Same goes for vinyl and cassettes. So which is it? Are they coming back or going away?

24. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Have to agree big time on No. 2. Sunzabiches can't leave a good enough thing alone.

Sneaky Pete and idledreamer like this.
  25. Dyland

Dyland Forum Resident

Down, but not out. ;)

Although I find the sales comparison interesting, now (Jan, Feb) is hardly the peak market timeframe. I'd say summer & the holidays probably see the highest sales numbers. Markets fluctuate. Who's to say if this downturn will continue, or will we see a retracement a la the vinyl revival a decade+ ago.

In the words of Yoda: "Hard to see, the future is."