Used vinyl store recommendations for Brussels, Cologne, and Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Jgirar01, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all- spending the Christmas holiday in Brussels, Cologne, and Amsterdam. Planning on getting to Concerto in Amsterdam. Any other recommendations for used vinyl in these three cities. Mostly interested in classic rock collectibles, blues, and jazz. Thank you.

Jim

2. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Hello Jim,

Amsterdam:
    Instead of looking up some record store names and adresses in Amsterdam for you (okay, here's one: "Record Friend") here's a suggestion: in many of the second hand record stores in Amsterdam you will find a leaflet with names / adresses / map location of a whole bunch of second hand vinyl / cd stores in Amsterdam. Maybe they are ven available at the Tourist Information offices (?). For new stuff (and a small second hand section) i would also strongly suggest the only music "megastore" left in Amsterdam: Fame / Mediamarkt. When uou leave the front entrance / exit of the main (Centraal) train station immediately turn left and walk for (300 - 400 metres (?). It's in a large modern building. Just tell people "Mediamarkt" if asking for directions.

Brussels:
    Brussels for vinyl fans
    (english language information)
    Personal recommendation: "The Collector - Record & Movie Gallery" which is mentioned on that website. If having difficulties in regard to asking directions you might want to add "it's near the Brussels Stock Exchange".

Cologne:
    Maybe this can be of help:
    Discogs Groups - Cologne | Köln Record Stores

Jgirar01 likes this.
  3. Jgirar01

Thank you very much for the information, ABBDutchfan. It is very appreciated!! I will read the links.

4. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

For jazz in Amsterdam you might want to check out Back Beat in the Jordaan (they even have a Blue Note sign outside the shop!), it's also a great neighborhood just to have a stroll. A couple of other places I liked when I was there was Recordfriend and Waxwell, you're probably not going to find a lot of bargains but the selection is really top notch.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  5. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

RecordFriend for sure. Much better than Concerto IMO.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  6. Jgirar01

Had a fun trip. Amsterdam was a good place to find used vinyl but not cheap. Found nothing at Concerto but did find several things at RecordFriend including a UK plum label CSNY 4 Way Street. One of the better finds was Amstel Antiques and they had many good collector items there but again not cheap. Amsterdam seemed to have a lot of rare collectibles in every store I went to. Veals and Geeks was amazing in Brussels and had a lot of rare psych from around the world. Hard to understand which pressings to get but I did grab several Kraftwerk German pressings, a Led Zep Physical Graffitti German 1st pressing, and a few others here. There was a lot of jazz in stock but I am not too informed on which pressings to get when it comes to German or Euopean pressings of jazz so I didn't get any of these. Fun shops and a great time. And boy, does Amsterdam love to blow stuff up on New Years- quite a fireworks show that went on for hours and hours- the whole city gets involved!!

Jim

zphage, Phishman and nancybrooke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.