User Names and Real Names

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MMM, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hello all,

I get the impression that the use of usernames is sometimes frowned upon by some in this and other forums. It's not my intention to criticize anyone for having a username that is different from their actual name - how could I , since I use one. From now own, I will have my real name shown as my "signature". I don't want to change my username since people already know me as MMM and I don't want to cause any confusion. My actual name is Martin Melucci.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Pleased to meet you.

My name is Scott Sena. I'm 33 and live in Cape Cod. Stay away from the seagulls!

The only reason I use "Sckott" was because in the late 80's, when the Internet was a bit young, I used IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and had to use a simple one-word name for my identity. Now, it's like that wherever you go. "Got user name and password? Hmm?"

So, wherever I am, "Sckott" is almost never used, so it's MINE! It doesn't provide a phony fantasy name like "Zeus" or "Mr. Audio". Sckott sounds like Scott, the K is there for individual identity.

For instance, Luke uses 'lukpac' because it's a simple way to hyphenate his first and last name.

The Internet can never be short and sweet, but your user name and ID/Password usually is. Cuts down on confusion. Anyone remember the Visa commercial for "Emmett Smith"? Hey, my name's Emmett Smith too! Oops! We got you confused with Emmett Smith (sp)

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hello Scott,

When I first came to this forum I was new to this whole kind of internet forum thing. It seemed to me that having a username was for the most part, expected of people - like part of a culture, so I used my initials as my username. It was never intended to cover up my identity.

4. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I'd like to shorten my username because my real one's too long!

Only problem is there doesn't appear to be anyway to do it except by re-registering and losing my current member status etc.

Holy Zoo and Claviusb, can you help?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not hyphenate, but, you get the idea. When we first got a computer we were trying to find a username to use on AOL (10 free hours :rolleyes: ). For some reason, everything we tried was taken. Then somehow my dad came up with "lukpac". Needless to say, it stuck.

I know the old DCC board had an option to enter your real name in. As I've mentioned before, I'd like to see that feature here too, if possible.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, and for some people the immediate "user name" concept helps to hide the shy. There's no problem with pet names. Like Peter. PetCast? Nah, sounds like Internet radio for dogs.

I'm kinda tired of people using fake names too, but if you were famous, how to you participate without getting hassled? What if Peter Mew wanted to join here? He'd have to create his own umbrella :winkgrin:

I'd love to see real names too. Chances are, most just aren't gonna.

7. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

User names can be fun but I do like it when members sign with their real name. Hi Martin, Scott, Peter and Luke.:)

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Hi all! I am Gary! Really!

Not, as one may think, Compression Depression.... no one has called me Mr. Depression (well, recently, at least...) :D

9. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Peter, no problem! Just let me know what you want to change it to, and I'll take care of it.

A PM or email ([email protected]) is best.

thanks,

HZ, err.... Jeff

10. Holy Zoo

Yeah, that's one of the few feature that UBB has that vBulletin doesn't. Unfotunatly, it would entail adding code that would add a field to the mySQL database, and I'm uncomfortable doing that. If I screw up, I could really muck the board up. The changes I've done to date have been easy and well tested elsewhere already.

Maybe we'll be lucky and it'll be added to the next major rev of vbulletin (3.0), which is due out end of summer.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Could you contact the developers and ask them about adding that in? That would be great.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Until then, if you use the "signature" function by clicking on "user cp" and then "edit profile", you can add your real name to the bottom of your posts automatically.

For the record, I'm used to the internet now, and why people use "handles". Doesn't bother me, but since I feel like I know all of you so darn well, I'd like to learn your real name as well as your handle. So use the autograph feature for now!

Thanks.

13. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Just try getting the username "Michael".

-Michael

14. Holy Zoo

Hey Luke,

I just checked, and it's in fact already on their list of features being considered for V3.

HZ

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Soooo.... is Steve Hoffman the "handle" while your real name is SH?

G

(sorry - couldn't resist!):D

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There is a LONG story about my original handle that I will not go into (again) here.

I'll just say that when I started using the internet message boards I was always advised NEVER to use your real name. Inexperienced and OLDER people are also not comfortable with using handles. Women typically do not use their real names out of concern for their privacy and safety. In a web enviornment of men, they want to be taken seriously without being prejudged, ignored, or hit on.

Anyway, because of my experience with using a handle, I have used my handles as my signature on this forum from time to time. Steve, or "sgb" likes to refer to me as my original handle anyway.

Hmmmm, I think i'll change it back now...

17. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Use of Real Names

Friends,

As you are probably aware, I favor the use of real names because I believe the use of real names professionalizes and personalizes relationships between Forum members. When we use our real identities, we are held more highly personally accountable for our behavior and actions in this setting.

A larger issue is at play here as well. I want to see each Forum member as a real live human being versus just as a "handle" or a cool avatar. I respect that some members may be unconfortable using their full first and last names so they may choose to use a handle and only their first name as a signature. I am comfortable with that, although I would like to believe that this Forum is more professional and trustworthy as a venue than some ordinary "chat room".

Martin, a pleasure to meet you as....Martin.

Bob :agree:

18. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, sure I'll uncloak...hadn't really thought about it before.

I'm Rich Firestone, late 30's, former radio guy in central Pennsylvania.

"Reechie" is a nickname some of my fellow DJ's dubbed me back in the 80's, for whatever reason. You know, one of those you don't really care for at first, but as you get used to it, you come to embrace it? I've used it since I first got online back in '93 (back in the days of BBS systems and Prodigy), and even my wife calls me Reechie to this day.

I've added my real name to the signature file for future reference, it's basically the same line I use on my e-mail messages. Oh, and that |8#/ thing? It's supposed to be Groucho Marx.

19. Bob Lovely

All,

I can confirm that Gary's real name is in fact...Gary! :agree:

Boib

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahhhh, Bob, don't forget that there are lurkers reading this and perhaps past banned members who may not be enamoured with some present members. And if you live in a small town or have a unique name, who knows what may happen?

Or am I paraniod? :eek:

21. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

My name is Todd Fredericks and I'm an actor, musician, etc. I live in New York City and I'm pleased to know all of you...

Todd

22. Bob Lovely

Gary,

I do not worry about such things and I cannot live my life in that manner. I trust that I can step up to any issue in my life that comes my way. I would, rather, extend my trust to other Forum members. Ultimately, as Forum members, we have a responsibility to each other. It is a risk that I am comfortable with. But, that is just me.

Bob

23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, I really am Tim Neely, not tim_neely. Some of you know me from my Goldmine price guides and articles.

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Bob, I agree! But my reasons (for a little bit of 'secrecy' ) are not for myself but I have other reasons which I prefer not go into at this time.

It's just me, I guess.... :(

25. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

For the record, my real name is Alex, and the Uncle Al thing has followed me since Alan Suess (sp?) did that drunken kiddie show host routine on laugh-in.

I am wary of the use of real last names due to..... well due to some stuff that went down a few years ago on the BSN board involving a member in good standing of this very board who was getting harassment which exceeded nasty e-mails. If your last name is DISTINCTIVE (ie - not Smith or Jones or even Schwartz), you might just be giving access to the undeniably small fraction of a percentage of people who just can't TOLERATE your stand on Van Halen, or Mingus in Mono or Eugene Normandy or... (you get the picture).

Whenever I e-mail someone I always include my real name, just as a reminder that I am a real people, just like I'm sure all of you are. However, if you know my name - and as little about my location as I already offer here, you will find me by the third try - in a worst case scenario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.