Using An Anti-Static Brush Causes More Clicks & Pops?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rivcuban, Jan 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fish

fish Senior Member

2. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

3. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Most get a week airplay when its their turn, but the SL1210MK5 is pretty hard to beat, at least the way I have it set up. Most of my tables have been modified by myself in one way or another. This one has had its interconnects removed and replaced with quality RCA jacks and a separate ground made from copper ground strapping. The cartridge is a hybrid, using the Audio Technica AT440MLa body with an AT150Sa shibata stylus assembly. The platter mat is in a sandwich configuration and it is fed into one of my 3 Audio by Van Alstine VisionQ phono preamps.

The Empire is also interesting. I bought it when I was around 19 years old. It looks and runs pretty much as the day I bought it, doing only some slight mods to it like a polarized power cord, a hole in the back to relieve pressure on the interconnect, and I removed the "Dynalift" feature as I rarely used it and found it to be just in the way many times. its cartridge is almost the perfect mate, featuring the Shure M95He using the Jico SAS N95HE stylus.

The other interesting combo is the AR-XA, which has been modded as well. It's most noteworty mode is in the headshell, which has had the internal cartridge mounting bosses removed, slots installed into the top of the headshell and a slanted front end so that the cartridge and stylus can actually be seen when placing the arm on a record. It is in a Baerwald alignment. It has also had its interconnects removed, replaced with RCA jacks, and power cord has been intersected with an IEC power receptacle. The cartridge is a wood bodied Grado, the Reference Master (or vice versa, I forget), at least the one that sells for $1k, and a slight trick to the tonearm that makes the table a great performer with its almost stock tonearm. Original Haydon motor is also still working great. This table used to be Frank Van Alstine's. We traded each other, he got a Sony PS-X5.

So there are 4 tables hooked up at all times, one location is for "visiting turntables". A fifth short table is sometimes brought in when I feel lazy (like this weekend).

Marcev likes this.
  4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Thanks for the summary, Wayne.

I think I remember you posting pictures of that beautiful Empire.

5. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

But effective when it is followed by the igniter?

6. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

That thing was a lint dropper!

7. fish

fish Senior Member

I use it to remove static. Works better than a carbon brush for me.
    Its been one of the best gadgets ive used over the years.

The Avatar is a Bugatti type 35 from the mid 20's. 2.0L overhead cam, 24v, straight 8. 95hp at 6000rpm's. 118mph top speed.

8. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I'm sure. What bothers me is the sparks heard while rolling it over the record...,like pulling clothes apart from the dryer. Unlike CF brushes, the roller does actually pick up dust, but it's use should be kept to a minimum. Actually, the sticky roller is ideal for cleaning the dust brush as well as the record, but it picks up so much that it soon becomes less effective and needs to be cleaned for continued effectiveness.

superstar19 likes this.
  9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yes, I like sticky roller especially for new vinyl in paper inner sleeves that shed, but the cons of the roller are the static and the need to be cleaned regularly. But I'm curious to try this igniter with it.

10. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Also won more Grand Prix races from '27 - '29 than all the competition combined....or so I've read.

If that roller reduces static the record must be pretty heavily charged to begin with. Do you roll it in your hand or on the platter? Not that it makes a whole lot of difference....

11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I concur, works nice, doesn't remove static electricity really, but at least it doesn't cause it either - in contrast to a few other carbon fibre brushed I've had.

In contrast to most other generic brushes, it's actually conductive, measured it about a year ago:
    [​IMG]

The generic brushes, like this one has nothing that conducts as the metal handle is mounted onto plastic, but rely on static discharge via air instead:
    [​IMG]

There also are other brushes that have the option to attach it to a grounding cable - that might be even better than the AudioQuest brush.

eddiel and patient_ot like this.
  12. 69sound

69sound Member

Hi I am new to site - I was very interested in
    Anti-Static Carbon Fiber vs Soft Velvet LP Brush or both
    I currently use the Big Fudge velvet but just bought a Fluance RT85 and they have a combo - the anti static bristols scare me on my invested vinyl - thoughts for newbie?

13. I just ordered the Audioquest brush from Amazon and am anxious to see if it really works. I'll have it by Wednesday. Here's a link: Amazon.com: AudioQuest Anti-Static Record Brush, Black
    Other than wet-cleaning a record on an RCM, with a vacuum, I haven't found any other way to remove static from a record. My Milty anti-static gun takes at least 5-10 shots to remove most of the static. On my VPI RCM, one wet cleaning revolution and 3 revolutions vacuuming removes all static. Any other brushes, including the carbon fiber generic one that everyone puts there name on, instantly puts static into a record.
    I have found that when a brand new record comes out of it's sleeve, and they usually are dusty, especially from a lined inner sleeve, I just put it on the TT and blow canned air on it as it rotates. This removes all the dust and doesn't add static to the new record.

14. Oelewapper

Okay that’s big enough to read without glasses;)

csgreene likes this.
  15. 69sound

69sound Member

so your help is with FONT? so sorry

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

17. 69sound

69sound Member

can someone pls help with answering if the anti static brushes leave marks on vinyl? I use the Big Fudge velvet and it's great but when I bought my new turntable I got offered to buy an anti static that looks like bristles and it threw me for a loop

18. Oelewapper

Anti-static carbon brushes are just fine.
    Proper felt pads like that big fudge one probably clean more thoroughly, but also built up more static electricity.

69sound likes this.
  19. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I think all brushes leave marks but they don't necessarily affect sound. The old records I've cleaned hundreds of times with a Discwasher have a haze on them but they still sound pretty good.

69sound likes this.
  20. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Records are noise free, much like the reel to reel tapes I use to make when doing live recordings with my old Revox. I have only been at the "brush only" routine for a short period of time, but I think I'm totally convinced that the brush is doing its job, perhaps it takes a few plays to get the job done.

69sound likes this.
  21. 69sound

69sound Member

thank you all

22. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

So I have one of the Boundless carbon fiber brushes.

In fact, I have two. The original one was damaged, so I set it aside and ordered a replacement.

Now, when I found that thing via Amazon, the description said there was conductivity between the handle and the bristles. And I tested mine, and there was conductivity, I can't remember the exact resistance but you don't exactly need very low resistant to drain static.

Anyway, that one was damaged, set aside, and I got a new one. I never tested the new one, I figured it would be the same.

But last night when I was working on my spindle/platter ground ideas and had the meter sitting right there, I figured, "let's check this brush."

And it failed. Even two points on the finished metal handle seem fairly high resistance.

So I have ordered one of the AudioQuest brushes and will perform some more testing.

superstar19 likes this.
  23. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

The igniter/“candle lighter” works like a charm. Instantly. So ritual you have to perform like with the zerostat gun. Very impressed got a brand new Herbie Hancock record delivered to me that was in a paper sleeve. I always cut the record out of paper sleeves. I took a piece of the paper sleeve and tossed it at the record. It’s stuck to it like it was magnetized. I then Took off the piece of paper, and did one circular motion with the igniter, not more static attraction!

Awesome discovery @Phil Thien

superstar19 and patient_ot like this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Tip: when you use these carbon fiber brushes, be careful not to apply any pressure. That can not only scratch your records but also make static problems worse in some cases...

eddiel and radioalien like this.
  25. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Mofi brush has it's place, but routine maintenance cleaning is not one of them. It requires a lot of solution to get wet enough to be useful, then subsequently leaves a lot of solution on your records. When used dry, it's a static factory.

I use my Mofi brush for deep cleaning used records I buy that sound like campfires. It works well for this as the felt pads get into the grooves and you can apply decent pressure. I use about 30% Iso 99% for this. I'm sometimes shocked at how quiet they get. I have a Monarch Zeppelin Physical Graffiti that came out incredible.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.