Using PS3 as an SACD player, voice cancellation issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry B, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member Thread Starter

I just read in another thread that the 1st gen PS3's read SACD's so I gave it a shot. It worked! However, the SACD's that I tried (Billy Joel "The Stranger" and James Taylor "JT"- both having dedicated center channel vocals) both have the vocals missing.... as if they were phase cancelled. Only a slight whispy echo of their voices remained. It is like a Beach Boys outtake CD.

I then played them on my universal DVD player and all was fine.

My lowly system: Yamaha HTR-5660 Rcvr, PS3, Pioneer 563A DVD, Braun L-810 Fronts, Energy Take 5.1 Satellites, Energy 10.3 Sub.

The PS3 audio to the rcvr is via digital audio cable and to the TV is via HDMI. The DVD player is connected via analog 5.1. I checked the stereo signal that the PS3 sends to the TV and in it, too, the voice is cancelled out.

Since the center channel only is just one speaker it can't be a speaker phase issue. I am stumped. Hopefully, I am not the only person to have ever used their PS3 as an SACD player and someone might have a suggestion.

Yes, I could just forget the PS3 and stick to the Pioneer but this issue may indicate that a larger issue exists.

Thanks, Lar

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You are connecting the PS3 to your Yamaha via optical? You are only getting 2.0 over optical (when playing SACD), and you probably have the 5.1 layer of "The Stranger" selected.

If you want to listen to multi-channel SACD via a PS3, you must use HDMI to receiver.

3. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi Sam, thanks for your reply.

A Sony thing, right. Like SACD 5.1 only over analog outputs on most DVD players.

You are saying that I am getting L and R only (processed via the Yamaha's DTS Neo), not a fold down 2.0, so it therefore has none of the center channel vocals mixed into it.

I looked around and, yes, there is choice btn SACD 5.1 and SACD 2.0. That is the answer other than starting the hunt for a new receiver.

Thanks a lot, Lar

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep, sounds right.

Remember, these new HDMI receivers pack in the features, but often skimp on the amp section (sound) in order to win the 'bells and whistles' game. Good luck in your search!

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

A related question, if anyone knows. With digital optical out from the PS3, the available sound settings are Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1, and 2 channel PCM 44.1, 88.2, and 176.4. If I am playing a 2-channel SACD with the PS3, and have all those options selected, what is being output to the receiver? 176.4 kHz PCM? Is the PS3 "converting" the DSD signal to PCM?

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The PS3 always converts to PCM. You can get up to 24/176 out of the HDMI output.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.