USPS Media Mail

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The_Shocker, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Quakerism

Quakerism Monk

The Postal Service can’t cut costs enough to cover their unfunded liability for retirees health benefits. That results in reduced efficiency and what people are complaining about now.

A pay -as-you-go system for dealing with retirees health care benefits clearly covers up real costs that are accruing and shifts them to a later time which is not prudent and was highlighted during the 2009 recession and shift from revenue producing demand to other methods not served by postal workers. In fact, The Postal Service has defaulted on the payment of statutory funding requirements for many years and still does not bring in enough revenue.

A taxpayer bailout is an option. And shifting the retirees health care benefits to a mandatory enrollment in Medicare for future retirees is another. Neither popular. Especially since the Medicare program itself is facing challenges going forward.

riverrat likes this.
  2. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

3. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I paid for a service and that service obligation isn't being met. I have my own job to do.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Again, start thinking like a citizen instead of a consumer. If you can't get your job done because the system needs help, you should probably take your tie off and roll up your sleeves.

5. Francophile50

I wish that we could treat postal workers like we do veterans. And I mean that in a positive way. They have a thankless job and we depend on them so much we should treat them like they deserve to be treated with respect and care.

6. Myke

Myke Listening

Then they wouldn't be treated like veterans, would they ? This country treats vets like crap.

ScramMan2 and Gregalor like this.
  7. Francophile50

I thought they were reforming the VA. I heard we fired 9000 unproductive employees out of the VA. I heard wait times are now more reasonable instead of people dying before they saw a doctor. Was that all just a big lie?

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

These protests are not meant to intimidate customers,rather just the opposite by encouraging and assuring that the USPS can be trusted today and tomorrow. I would expect no problems doing business tomorrow. Damage by removing equipment,screwing around worker's hours,etc. have already happened and PM DeJoy says what is done is done. He will not right the wrong and expects to continue changes after the election,just in time for Christmas. Fruitcakes and fruit baskets,beware! If there is a change in leadership in the White House,he still will have almost 3 months till 1/20/21 to wreck havoc before his hopeful resignation happens.

905 likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

I just hope he spends it packing for an inevitable move to Irkutsk.

10. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I was at the local PO making a drop at 8:30 this morning. Long before the ralliers and/or protesters got there. It was nice and quiet, and no long lines of mask wearing customers.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A taxpayer bailout to pay for pensions that no mortals in the real world economy get?

I guarantee you that doesn't sit right with a lot of people.

12. angelo73

angelo73 ⬚⿻⬚⿻⬚

13. visolo

visolo New Member

I sell on ebay, and I give the buyer the option of Media Mail, or First Class. All my buyers choose Media Mail because it's cheaper. So if it takes long and they complain, I will tell them that's the shipping option they chose.

G L Tirebiter and Francophile50 like this.