Van Morrison - Best 80s Album Poll!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I voted Common One but not an easy choice.
    Not many of these albums are still in print on either cd, vinyl or high resolution download. Thanks to a friend I have the downloads of CO, BV and Inarticulate etc (Into the Music was also done as a high res) and those 3 were also done on vinyl in the USA but not the UK.

2. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Gosh! I must be getting old. Initially I didn't remember Irish Heartbeat from the album list, then I remembered that it was the album with the Chieftains, and now I've just remembered that I saw Van and the Chieftains at the Royal Albert Hall on that tour, and of course it was a great gig. Needless to say it's been a while since I listened to the album, but it's a good one.

dee and mishima's dog like this.
  3. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I always felt there was something "wrong" about this song, and some others on the album (e.g. Northern Muse). I think you're right. To me the cymbal sound feels too rigid and precise (and upfront) for the mood of the lyrics. I just got the remastered CD to replace the previous issue and it's even more pronounced. Van goes disco??

However I still like the album - great songs of course - I've kind of got used to how it sounds, and it's not like this on all the tracks. Perhaps some of them come over better live - although on Grand Opera House, Dweller is taken much faster - when you go back to the studio version it sounds slow!

Rukiki likes this.
  4. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

It's good to see that No Guru, No Method, No Teacher is getting lots of love. I still think Beautiful Vision is the better album though (dominant hi-hats, notwithstanding): stronger songs and wholey consistant (IMO) with no flagging of energy. No Guru..., as great as it is, gets a litte 'flabby' and out of puff on Side 2.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  5. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Van's got Neil Young (seriously did anybody have a worse decade ?), Stones, The Who well & truly covered. Clapton started the decade well & then got Phil Collinsed (Yuk).
    Dylan may give him a run for his money.
    I was never one to listen to Macca & I lost interest in The Kinks once the 70's started.

Billy 1957 likes this.
  6. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

No Guru has really pulled out there. I do like a lot of that album, particularly In The Garden, Go To Go Back and Oh The Warm Feeling.

dee, CrawdaddySim1 and Solace like this.
  7. Kingsley Fats

I'm running on memory as many of these albums I haven't listened to for quite a while but I do remember that No Guru No Method.. at the time was a daily listen for a fair stretch & that it took me to another place each time I listened to it. That's why it got my vote.

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

There are some terrific songs on there, and it's all incredibly well recorded as well.

dee, sekaer and Rockford & Roll like this.
  9. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

I own the vinyl plus 3 cd versions (Warner, 1990s Polydor & 1998 remaster...) and this "issue" is present in all of them. At least on my gear (my profile is updated)

Still, it has many of my favourite Van tracks (She Gives Me Religion, Cleaning Windows, Vanlose Stairway)

dee and newelectricmuse like this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

No. He was extremely consistent in the 80s, at least as much as he was in the 70s.

sekaer likes this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Believe me, I’ve tried.

:shake:

12. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Looking down the list it's interesting how many of Van's albums here have their own "mood". Common One definitely does (the cover suits the album), Beautiful Vision/Inarticulate Speech do (they almost could have been a double album), No Guru does (especially with the Cor Anglais/Oboe), Irish Heartbeat (because of the Chieftains, obviously), and Poetic Champions (with its instrumentals and a lot of saxophone).

dee and Billy 1957 like this.
  13. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I picked Guru. He was better before and he would be better later in my opinion, but he was solid in the 80's.

14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Avalon Sunset

dee, petercl and Rockford & Roll like this.
  15. Christian Söderholm

Christian Söderholm Well-Known Member

Really hard to choose only one, but went with Inarticulate as I love the spiritual sound of it, and I think it was the 1st of his 80s albums I fell in love with. But they’re all good!

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Common One. The last great Van record, IMO.

17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Beautiful Vision squeeks out over Inarticulate Speech.

18. Kingsley Fats

The last great Van Morrison IMO currently is Three Chords & The Truth. His next might even be better. We shall wait & see.

Ernest T and Rockford & Roll like this.
  19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Beautiful Vision.

I saw Van twice in this period in 82 and 84 and they were both wonderful shows.

But there are great moments on all the albums here - "Carrickfurgus" from Irish Heartbeat and "Rave On John Donne / Rave On part Two" from the Grand Opera House - I love the transition in the middle.

Having checked out the voting I need to go back and listen to some of the others again - haven't played these for years...

20. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I saw him live on the No Guru tour (complete with a string quartet) , so the album is special for me.

Could have picked Beautiful Vision or Poetic Champions Compose, but I like this whole run of albums a lot.

dee and JeffMo like this.
  21. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

This one's easier than the 90's poll... Guru is the clear winner for me, although I've enjoyed most of the albums on this list, at different times, under different circumstances.

At one point I played Inarticulate Speech of the Heart once a night, for 7 nights straight!

Clarkophile likes this.
  22. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

My favourite Van decade. Full of beautiful transcendent music. No Guru is the one album I would save in a house fire. Common One can divide but it is a remarkable piece. Beautiful Vision is a top 5 Van album for me. Poetic Champions and Avalon Sunset both wonderful. Even Sense of Wonder which is my least favourite has so many great songs.

TimM likes this.
  23. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

No Guru.... because "In The Garden" is so damn beautiful.

But almost a tie with Poetic Champions Compose.

The arrangements on both are stellar.

dee, Clarkophile, TimM and 1 other person like this.
  24. Billy 1957

Billy 1957 Active Member

Greil Marcus in his not very good book on Van completely dismissed his 80s work, a judgment I disagree with. I saw a video of Marcus on the book tour promoting his book being challenged about his coldness toward Enlightenment. The pleasant-voiced young woman who questioned him seemed incredulous that he could not see the beauty in such a record. I think he said the music just didn't do anything for him. For me the decade's work is filled with beauties of feeling and invention. Even the song Sense of Wonder is a wonder on his weakest record of the decade. I chose Common One because it meant the most to me at the time, the early 80s being the last time rock meant something to me in a contemporary sense. Also, the record's massive sound and the great spaces Van created in the songs, its feeling for literature, love and nature were most impressive. I think I prefer it in the end to the great records at the end of the decade because it has a larger than life vision of things, a sweep maybe not matched by the later records.

25. Anarseo

Anarseo Forum Resident

I know it's often considered too mellow but I absolutely love "Poetic Champion"; it's classy stuff, with rich arrangements but highly melodic, and I really dig the jazz influences; one of my desert island discs

newelectricmuse, dee, cjc and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.