Van Morrison Blowin' Your Mind vinyl LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

I just bought Van Morrison's Blow' Your Mind after reading Michael Fremer's review of it on his Music Angle website.

There are no credits on the sleeve for any of the backing musicians, has anybody got any information on who they might be?

JG

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Recorded in NYC, engineered by Brooks Arthur. I know that Eric Gale plays guitar.

3. MikeP5877

Here we go - from the credits of the "TB Sheets" album, which was mainly a repackaging of most of the "Blowin' Your Mind" material plus leftovers from those sessions:

Musicians:
    Seldon Powell: Wind
    Brooks Arthur: Vocal
    Gary Chester: Drums
    Cissy Houston: Vocal
    Dee Dee Warwick: Vocal
    Jeff Barry: Percussion/Vocal
    Bert Berns: Vocal
    Bob Bushnell: Bass
    Artie Butler: Keyboards
    George Devens: Percussion
    Eric Gale: Guitar
    Al Gorgoni: Guitar
    Paul Griffin: Keyboards
    Arthur Kaplan: Wind
    Herb Lovell: Drums
    Hugh McCracken: Guitar
    Van Morrison: Guitar/Keyboards/Saxophone/Vocal
    Russell Savkas: Bass
    Myrna Smith: Vocal
    Don Thomas: Guitar

edit - The backing vocalists are listed separately but most people probably know them better as the Sweet Inspirations

edit # 2 - I think it's more or less the same band that plays on Neil Diamond's Bang sessions. They sure sound the same.

4. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

thanks! great info!

JG

5. mfp

mfp Senior Member

While we're talking about Blowin' Your Mind, does anyone know if the mono is a dedicated mix or a fold-down? Interesting mix variations? Worth money?

6. MikeP5877

I don't have "Blowin' Your Mind" in mono but I do have the "TB Sheets" album which was in mono. It's been a very long time since I played it but I seem to recall it being a dedicated mono mix. First of all, the mono "Brown Eyed Girl" is the censored version (missing the "makin' love in the green grass" line)

I also seem to remember that the other common songs sounded quite different in stereo, enough to make me think these were different mixes and not simply a fold-down. "He Ain't Give you None" in particular sounded quite different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.