Van Morrison Moondance best vinyl pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Dec 7, 2006.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s what I thought...

2. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

Thanks for that info...it sounds pretty good to me so far, but if I ever see a SH+KPG in the bins, I'll pick up that up, too.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I imagine the Rhino reissue is the best sound wise. Astral Weeks I did have from them and it was phenomenal.

LeeVing likes this.
  4. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

Update: This sounds REALLY good. My beat up original is going to Goodwill.

The RTI # makes this pressed sometime in 2017. It had no hype stickers other than the round "HQ-180" RTI sticker. I'm not sure if this is different than the 2008 reissue and those subsequent represses.

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Just a question, but you're sure it's @CA and not @ATM?
    Discogs entries list all the other reissues using the plates with KG/SH @ ATM,

6. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

positive...it's CA. It has a different RTI #, too.

I had to make this entry...

Van Morrison - Moondance

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

cool, thanks for checking!

LeeVing likes this.
  8. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I'm not certain...I bought one, sealed, at a record store a couple of years ago...and I just ordered a sealed (gotta have a back-up!) online through Discogs.com.

9. Leonthepro

I bought the Astral Weeks one sealed in store for cheap. Then the next day the store owner put out a new sealed one again. I bought it because I thought it would be rare to find a sealed copy of that reissue, but they must have either made plenty of stock or can still press. Sort of like the King Crimson Inner Knot reissues, they are from the early 2010s and I can still order sealed stock from my store.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There are apparently now 2 versions of the Rhino...that’s the point of the discussion the last few days.

11. Leonthepro

Is it the clear/cream colored one vs black or?

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Go back to post #66 and read the thread.

13. Leonthepro

Im guessing Kevin cut some new laqcuer at CA for them to make repress rounds. Probably is very similar.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe. Did you read Steve’s comment? It all depends on the source.

15. Leonthepro

My CA Astral Weeks was great so I bet this one is too.
    I always hate when this happens though. In case it is worse all the sellers on discogs will just use the ATM page and sell their new CAs there. Can often happen when I buy. Usually doesnt matter too much for the sound though.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Again...it depends on the source. Kevin Gray does great work, but we don’t know what source he had to work with. Might be great, might not be.

17. Leonthepro

Yes, I know it depends on the source.

18. robd2

robd2 Well-Known Member

To add one more data point, I just received a copy from Music Direct. It was also the newer KPG@CA version. Would be interesting to find out if this was a digital source or not as it does sound very good. Base to cymbals are great. One additional thought, doesn’t CA have the upgraded electronics (cables, etc.) over ATM? That should also make a difference if so.

19. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The newer cut is from Kevin's digital archive of the master. The flat analog was unusable and the eq'd master wasn't right.
    I suspect it was remixed from the multis for the first reissue in 2008.

dee and GetHappy!! like this.
  20. EricMack

EricMack Forum Resident

I just ordered this on Amazon today. At least, I hope this is what shows up...

21. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Just curious if you received the CA or ATM cut?

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I checked my copy and played it today. I bought it a few years ago and it's the SH/KG @ATM version. One of the best sounding records I own...did not know there was a new KG@CA cut before reading this thread, just assumed Rhino was keeping the previous one in print.

23. Rando Name

Rando Name Active Member

Boy do I wish I'd read this thread sooner. Been holding out getting a copy of the ATM version for forever. Recently ordered from Amazon what I thought it was the 2008 version, only to see the @CA in the deadwax.

It still sounds fantastic and is a huge improvement on my vintage copy so I'm not too beat up about it. But when you hear people throwing around phrases like 'best sounding record I own' for the ATM cut, you can't help but be curious what the difference between the CA and ATM versions is!

Anyone know if the EU pressed 'Back to Vinyl' have also changed over? If I remember rightly they were also the SH/KG version, or at least I read that here:

Van Morrison - Moondance - Warner/Rhino vinyl - now released *

24. Leonthepro

I think the ATM and SH/KG are one and the same. And yeah Id love to hear it too, thought my old CA was great already.

25. Rando Name

Rando Name Active Member

Sorry my bad. By CA I meant Cohearent Audio, which is in the deadwax of the recent pressings (2018 onwards) of the Rhino version pressed at RTI, as opposed to the Acoustech Mastering (ATM) deadwax of the 2008 issue, which was also pressed at RTI, but also apparently somewhere in Europe with a 'Back to Vinyl' sticker on the front.

On a slightly separate note, since my last post I've answered my own question on the European Back to Vinyl edition. Bought one from Amazon, and can confirm that yes, it's still the @ATM version.

So, at least as far as Amazon Canada is concerned, and based on my own experiences, if you want to get hold of the @ATM version, this is the version you want (it's the European 'Back to Vinyl' Version - barcode 0081227950354

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014X537GG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be warned that the jacket is frankly horrible compared to the RTI version, so if that's an issue for you, keep it in mind.

If you're after the newer version with @CA in the deadwax, but pressed at RTI (with a much better version of the jacket), this is the one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001DPC4S2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For anyone looking in the US I would assume just searching those ASIN numbers on Amazon.com will get you the version they want, but I can only speak for me experience ordering from Amazon.ca.

To be clear, having spun each version only once, I'm not hearing a lot of difference that I can't be sure isn't in my head. My system isn't high end though. If I change my mind I'll report back.

I had to get both out of curiousity, but I would be surprised if people were disappointed with the newer @CA version. Still sounds great.

Hope this helps anyone who, like me, was confused about the whole situation, and assumed that both with still the @ATM version.

jason_means and oldjollymon like this.