Velvet Underground - Complete Matrix Tapes 8lp Box released in July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

If you think this is lo-fi, I don't know what to tell you. It's without question the definite live document of this band fidelity wise and arguably the same goes for the playing.

2. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

All the official-seeming sources I see have the exact same track listing a the CD box set...

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What’s that £20 per cd? A bit steep.

4. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Mine arrived from Amazon France today, miraculously unscathed. They simply stuck the box in a plastic envelope (no padding). Might as well just stuck a sticker on the box itself.

I also have the CD box set, I purchased when it first came out, looks like I paid $45 for it according to Amazon.

I'm a old fool who likes to play records!

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Mine arrived also today, perfectly packaged in a carton with these special foam protective panels all around the box, which are lately used for these classical mega boxes.

6. thejammy

thejammy Forum Resident

Any bonus tracks that you can tell. If not I'll stick with the cds

7. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Wow, Unbelievable the difference in packing. I'm just glad my box arrived safely.

8. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

:eek:

I hope if mine ships it comes protected better than that. It's a miracle that made it through shipping unscathed.

Crush87 likes this.
  9. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Had an updated delivery date from Amazon.fr this morning of Jul 11-13, and just got an actual shipping notice with a tracking number. Now to wait and see whether I get a nice padded box or just a plastic bag!

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  10. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Sound quality reviews please!!!

11. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

curious about reviews

12. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Just got a notice that it's shipped, with July 5th as the anticipated delivery date. I'm in Phoenix.

How about those bonus tracks?

13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

No bonus tracks that I can see, just a straight vinyl issue of the cd set.

Clucking likes this.
  14. Trey A

Trey A Forum Resident

Mine just arrived via UPS, a week ahead of estimate. Just started listening and am happy with it so far. Who am I kidding--I'm thrilled.

15. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Correct -- no bonus tracks. Tracklisting here matches the CD (though they get to say there are 43, rather than 42, tracks because one of the Sister Rays is split into two tracks). Looking at the press release for the original 2015 CD set, the "nine previously unreleased performances" is reference to nine tracks that were then-unreleased when *that* version first came out: The Velvet Underground - The Complete Matrix Tapes, A Four-CD Box Set Which Captures The Band's Legendary Stand At San Francisco's Fabled Club, Available Now ...someone was lazy/sloppy; they probably should have deleted that language for this reissue, since it's no longer true!

ADDING: Here's the description of the LP set -- which includes the misleading "nine previously unreleased performances" bit -- from the official VU store: The Matrix Tapes

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    ralphb likes this.
  16. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

That RiRilll cat lives in Greece (I believe) and you live in the US, so Amazon.fr is probably saving cheese on international shipping by reducing ounce weight by removing the original manufactured-to-spec outer protective boxing.

I'm in the US, too (at the foot of the Rockies as well), so I guess I'll see how scathed or unscathed my copies are in when they finally arrive.

17. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Well here's a fine howdy-do. Mine is scheduled to be delivered to my office on July 5th. I get LPs delivered to the office in the summertime since the delivery guys will leave them on the doorstep in literally 115 degree heat.

Email from my office just came that we're closed on July 5th in observance (yay!). Rats.

18. Dreaddazzman

You could try contacting Amazon. Depending on who they shipped it through, they might be able to update the routing.

19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

In my experience French estimates are not accurate. They usually deliver earlier

Clucking likes this.
  20. Dreaddazzman

Are you specifically speaking about Amazon France? I haven't ordered anything from them before, but for things I've ordered through every other iteration of Amazon, they've never delivered anything earlier than estimated.

21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Yes, France usually has very pessimistic estimates when sending abroad.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  22. Dreaddazzman

Got it, thanks.

23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Card charged from Amazon France but no shipping notice yet. Hmm. Is that a thing that happens? heh.

24. Dreaddazzman

I have a pending charge, no shipping yet either. So may drop off, we'll see.

Crush87 likes this.
  25. Dreaddazzman

Just got a shipping notice. Estimated delivery by July 9th.