Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marko K, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

The AP hybrid SACD (original mix)does not sound good. But a friend of me have the AP 45rpm Lp set (also original mix), it sounds much better.
    I much prefer my SHM-SACD that is based on the 80s remix, to the AP SACD.
    Wonder what tape they will use for this new release. As for my friends AP 45rpm set, despite that it sounded better than the hybrid SACD, there is no doubt in my ears that these tapes has seen better days. So not to wonder that they remixed in the 80s.

joshm2286 likes this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I know, and to think there are many of us still trying to get the MMJ's that we want and the Tone Poet's are about to start hitting again, and on top of that there are several RSD Jazz titles I want as well. And to think the series that will be giving some of us a break in spend, was the least expensive one of them all, the BN 80th's. Oh, and there's two of the SAM titles I want, the Nathan Davis and Art Blakey recent releases. And not to forget new releases from The Pretenders, X, Neil Young, The Stooges "Live At Goose Lake" and finally on vinyl "The Mike and Mickey Show", Whoa!

Almost forgot "A Study in Brown"....

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Freedom Suite is on Riverside, which is controlled by Concord. Universal distributes Concord, but they do not own them and their catalogue will not be part of this series.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

$35 is a slam dunk. I’m in.

5. trd

trd Forum Resident

What this guy said! Very excited for these releases and what this portends for future audiophile jazz reissues

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I noticed that the Getz/Gilberto disk was already done by Analogue Productions (45 rpm).

7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

8. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident Thread Starter

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

10. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Marino has passed sadly.
    RKS is great, almost up there with Kevin and Grundman for me. He tends to be slightly brighter, thought thats not always bad.

12. Leonthepro

Will definetally try the ALS if its 40€. Anyone know which sites will have it for the EU?

Most likely using a UK tape copy as its the best available.
    I want to compare against my Speakers Corner.

13. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

Maybe they'll even do Blossom Dearie.

14. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Am I the only one who thinks that 40 € for albums that have been reissued so many times and can be bought used on CD for 4 € is way too much?
    The latest Verve jazz reissues on vinyl are being sold for 20 €, so why the double price here??

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Ryan K. Smith is one of the best in the business, despite being much younger than the other greats still working. George Marino was one of his mentors at Sterling. Marino cut the 2x45 AP release of Getz/Gilberto, first released in 2010, and he must have done a 33 cut at that time.

rxcory, puelche, recstar24 and 6 others like this.
  16. Gabe Walters

The latest Verve reissues before this series were announced are digital cuts with direct-to-board printed jackets. These are all-analogue cuts by top engineers, pressed at a decent plant, and come in gatefold Stoughton tip-on jackets. The price and production quality is in line with the Tone Poet series from Blue Note. Quality costs money, and the price reflects that. If you're happy with previous reissues, cool, no need to buy these again.

Man at C&A, astro70, asindc and 15 others like this.
  17. Leonthepro

Yes please!

Hamhead, FashionBoy and ausgraeme like this.
  18. Leonthepro

Depends on the quality. If its Tone Poet level then no way, thats a steal.

joshm2286 and trd like this.
  19. mcwlod

Well, no one knows about the quality yet, we’ll see. And Tone Poet have been only half quality with quite a few of them barely listenable due to wow problem.
    20 - 25 € for a nicely done AAA vinyl is a right price anyway, especially when you don’t have to pay license fee.

20. Gabe Walters

Did you read Fremer's post, quoted above? We have some word on what the quality will be.

21. mcwlod

Yeah, I’ve read it - it’s just a company advertisement.
    Anyway, hope they do it the right way and maybe the prices will come down a bit. The first batch will tell a lot.

Just thinking why can you sell Zappa or Hendrix AAA Gatefolds for 20 € and here you get the double price?

22. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

That's just MSRP. I'd be willing to bet distributers end up competing for these sales just like we've seen with Tone Poets and BN80s.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  24. Leonthepro

Neither of which use Stoughton by the way.

astro70 and Gabe Walters like this.
  25. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

These are looking to start at roughly 30% more than Tone Poets.