Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marko K, Jun 11, 2020.

1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

oh, i should say my experience is with ordering them in Canada, which tends to end up shipping after Amazon in the US.

nosliw likes this.
  2. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Apart from the 2020 Tone Poet titles list, this is the best announcement so far this year.
    Try getting minty original copies of those Simone titles - rare and $$$.
    All is forgiven Chad.
    :)

3. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I sat on Poppin and Comin Your Way and just waited. And waited. And waited. According to the Canada Post tracking they are in St. John's as of today and maybe I'll finally see them for the weekend. If not I have tons of unplayed vinyl here.

ceynon and DeRosa like this.
  4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I just want to say something about the reissues coming out in this series, and the Tone Poets, and the BN80 series, and releases from AP, MFSL. Speakers Corner, Impex, Intervention, Sam Records (forgive me if I have missed any out). Also not only Jazz, but wonderful Blues, Classical and Rock reissues too.

For those new to vinyl these releases may seem like normality and just what has been happening since the vinyl revival kicked off, and it is easy to take them for granted. However, for those of us a bit older in the tooth, who were looking for records in the 80s and 90s it was often very difficult to find originals (it was not uncommon to wait years and years to see something) or the reissue alternatives then were at best pretty poor copies with cheap sleeves and even cheaper vinyl in many cases.

Yes there can be problems with new reissues too, but we have it so good now. Looking back I would never have imagined that my collection would have a large quantity of brilliant 1950s and 1960s recordings, reissued and mastered to a very high standard, with great sleeves and in most cases quiet flawless vinyl. The only way to have a collection like mine before these golden year of reissues would be by time travel or to have a lot of money.

I do believe that many of these reissues are a step up from the originals and some are not. But to have the option is a wonderful thing. It is not uncommon for me to sell an original when a great reissue sounds better to me.

I for one am very thankful and looking forward to what else is coming in this series, and Tone Poet 2021 and what the other labels are planning too. It is a wonderful time as a music fan to be alive and to hear these recordings. Thanks must go to Chad and Joe Harley and Kevin Gray and all the other vinyl heroes whose dedication and diligence have made such a big difference to my musical enjoyment and my life.

5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

That exactly happened to me with a couple LPs I pre-ordered from Amazon Canada. Otherwise, it takes about one or two days to arrive with free shipping, which here in Ottawa, we have a fulfillment centre recently.

6. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Gee, a little early to be whinging about these. And I think most people would agree that none of the Tone Poet releases fall under the category of “barely listenable.” Looking forward to the Verve Group reissues.

7. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Eggs-actly!

trd and Jellis77 like this.
  8. Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave Well-Known Member

I am in for these.

Peterr likes this.
  9. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Another vote here for all the Verve Blossom Dearie - just take my money.....

10. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I just recently got the Speakers Corner "Porgy and Bess" from Elusive Disc, so it might still be around. It sounds spectacular to me (though I have no other reference except streaming).

But "Ella and Louis" would be nice, as the AP seems to be currently unavailable (and cut at 45 rpm).

11. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Got this in an email from Acoustic Sounds yesterday. Unfortunately, it's just a big image — no text to copy and paste.

Noteworthy to me, though, is this: "all titles will be mastered from the original analog tapes". Of course, we've seen that before on things that were not AAA (everything is eventually from the original tapes), but if it's true for the Impulse titles, that would be great news (to me)!

[​IMG]

(Sorry, I'm not having much success in getting that image to expand inline, as I've seen for others. Please PM with tips, if you can help. :) )

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Harrison_Bergeron and ceynon like this.
  12. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

It is such a great time to be a jazz lover! I'm definitely in for a few of these!

Levi's Tubs and trd like this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

because of the involvement of Chad and AP, I’m confident they’re not playing any games with the whole master tape thing. Chads quote in your image states specifically he worked directly with the master tapes. Most big labels don’t truly understand how the term “mastered from original tapes” leaves some ambiguity, but I don’t hold it against them in this case because in Chad I trust.

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I think the difficulty here is that the A Love Supreme master tape is famously gone, even before the fire at the Universal lot.

eyeCalypso and nosliw like this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It would be great if they clarify what the source is for ALS.
    You've got to imagine they've sent someone to search all the vaults
    for any sign of early cutting masters or other possible safety copies.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I've seen 'original analog tapes' and 'previous metal parts' as source. Did I miss mention of original Master tapes as source somewhere?

17. Gabe Walters

The AP email announcement uses that phrase, yep.

18. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Except according the the Acoustic Sounds web site it will be Marino's mastering that will be used:

Acoustic Sounds Series reissues from Verve/Universal Music Enterprises!

Two monthly releases highlighting Verve's historic and best jazz records!

Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound from the original analog tapes

180-gram LPs pressed at Quality Record Pressings!

Stoughton Printing gatefold old-style tip-on jackets

Series supervised by Chad Kassem CEO of Acoustic Sounds

19. Gabe Walters

Marino did Getz/Gilberto. Ryan K. Smith did Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson. And, presumably, more to come from this series.

20. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

You are correct, the blurb I posted was from Getz/Gilberto. The Peterson/Armstrong page says Ryan K. Smith.

21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The 2x45 AP version of Getz/Gilberto was cut in 2011, which i'm assuming was the George Marino mastering.
    But there was no reissue of it at 33 rpm, correct? So likely cut at the same time, and never released?
    Stan Getz / João Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim - Getz / Gilberto

Also interesting mastering note:
    "The original master tapes for this title had not been used since 1980 previous to this reissue. Also, for this Analogue Productions reissue the decision was made to master and present this album as it was originally mixed to master tape. With very few exceptions all versions of this title to date, including the original, have had the channels incorrectly reversed. With this version, you'll hear this title as it was intended to be heard, without the channels reveresed."

22. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Ken.e., Analog360, Smith and 2 others like this.
  23. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

nosliw likes this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

safety copy stored somewhere on the east coast maybe? Using prior metal plating perhaps? I guess we will have to wait and see, here’s hoping it’s some derivative of AAA.

(Love supreme is an instant buy for me regardless as I currently don’t own any version of it :hide:)

mikeyt likes this.
  25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I thought I read somewhere it is a UK (safety?) tape of some sort. But take this with a large grain of salt

recstar24 likes this.