Very interesting new KEF wireless speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not, not the LS50W. The LSX:

KEF LSX review

Who's going to try a pair? I'm interested in putting a pair in my hobby shop.

[​IMG]

2. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Could I just plug a hard drive into these with my music files on it and access them to play? Sorry I’m not very smart with streaming and digital ...

3. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title?

Saw Darko's video of these... looks perfect for desktop or bedroom non-critical listening. I'm keen!

4. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Given my clumsiness, I would like some sort of grille for desktop use.

5. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

If these were Roon ready, they'd be on my wishlist, but I don't believe they are yet. Hopefully they get an update in the future!

6. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

One article I read said KEF plans to make them Roon ready in a few weeks. I own a pair of LS50W and love them, so I'm strongly considering a pair of these for my office. Looks like they would be perfect for that.

Wasabi likes this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

They'll cut it for critical listening too, rest assured.

Xarkkon and jeffrey walsh like this.
  8. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

I doubt it but I'm not sure so anyone correct me if I'm wrong. The closest you could do would be to plug a NAS on it and that would work.

9. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

People considering spending £1000 for non-critical listening and for office or bedroom purposes??

If i shelled out 1k for speakers they would have to be 'speakers for life' and at the heart of my main system.

10. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

It does look like there's a USB port on the back, but no mention of what it's for that I can find. Could be a DAC input or for a hard drive.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I spent U$ 1250 11 years ago with that same criteria. But for other people 1K for desktop or bedroom use is pocket money. I'd love a pair of these for my bedroom TV, but my current 7wpc Thonet & Vander 4¨ers will have to do till they die.

enfield likes this.
  12. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

The article mention "The LSX system loses a couple of its bigger sibling’s connections: USB Type B (for computer and laptop hook-ups) and RCAs for connecting legacy hi-fi kit" and judging by this image it looks like the USB port is some kind of output:
    https://img2.lesnumeriques.com/optim/news/79/79995/lesnumeriques-kef_lsx-illus-1.jpg

13. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I can't figure out why you'd even want that...? What would be the point of a usb output on a set of wireless speakers?

14. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

So it looks like it's a charging port indeed. It could be useful to plug a Chromecast audio on it for example but yeah I agree it doesn't really make much sense.

15. psikey

psikey Active Member

Arrived and installed using some dense foam yoga block for RHS as stand for anti-vibration and height levelling.

Totally balanced sound with ultra clear mids, impactful but not over bearing or muddy base and nice tingly treble. Certainly no need for a separate woofer in my room. Speaker version of my SE846's :)

Tidal fully integrated with KEF App and the best sounding other than Hi-Def tracks on my server. Currently Spotify only works connected via BT but still sounds great as does optical from PS4Pro and even 3.5mm out of my PC's onboard sound.

Total simplicity to set-up.

Photo from listening position on sofa.

[​IMG]

16. psikey

psikey Active Member

The USB is used as power out to phone or say a Chromecast.

Had it playing:

• Tidal via KEF Stream App
    • Spotify (only via BT as Spotify Connect not implemented yet, but will be as will Roon)
    • Various hi-def flac files from my NAS (24/192 converted to 24/96 but who can tell anyway)
    • Optical out of my PS4Pro
    • PC via 3.5mm connection
    Simply stunning to my ears.

17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Other people have more money to spend than you do. Don't begrudge them their choices to do so.

Xarkkon, andybeau and Wasabi like this.
  18. psikey

psikey Active Member

This is my only Hi-Fi system but it is in a room thats only 2m x 2.5m. But mostly for music use but also connected to my gaming kit. Was originally going to buy the LS50W and this came out the day I was ordering.

After watching Darko video review plus half the price, plus the LS50W would be too large for the room, I ordered tbe LSX and no regrets.

19. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Steaming companies invariably use the most readily available latest remasters of any given albums.A good majority of which will be loud and brickwalled..So these speakers would be a non starter for me anyway.

Take nothing away from KEF though.They make lovely speakers..I just would not pay 1k for secondary room streaming speakers even if i was a millionaire.I would be looking elsewhere in that companies range of products if i had my wallet open.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  20. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

When they become Roon ready, that point is moot. It's already moot if you own an iPhone or iPad. If they add built in chromecast also, then there's really no restrictions. I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't.

Brother_Rael and enfield like this.
  21. psikey

psikey Active Member

It already plays tracks from my NAS via DLNA. Doesn't have to be used with commercial streaming services.

You don't have any need to add these into a system. Like the LS50W these are a complete system in one (for digital audio anyway).

It won't play my small collection of DSD's directly but thats not a big issue for me anyway.

For people who have small rooms not needing huge speaker power these (or the LS50W) are ideal.

It also wont replace a full home cinema multi-speaker system.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Connectivity is fine with these speakers, optical, AUX, network, Ethernet. You can use your own source gear (or use adapters) and no streaming required.

enfield likes this.
  23. james

james Summon The Queen

I'd really to try wireless KEF's but also need grills to work in my home.

24. psikey

psikey Active Member

My ASUS motherboard has a high quality (24/192), separate audio layer and feeding the LSX via 3.5mm AUX and listening to Tidal MQA Master tracks sounds as good as my own 24/96 & 24/192 flac files. The Tidal Desktop App does the MQA decoding (just 1st level I think).

Brother_Rael likes this.
  25. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I'm ordering a demo pair to try out....looking forward to getting them in and comparing to the LS50W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.