Very slight platter wobbling with new turntable, normal or not?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fekx, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Fekx

Fekx Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello community,

I just got my very first turntable - the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo.
    I noticed, that the platter is very slighty wobbling - I recorded a quick video.

Excuse my ignorance, but since I have zero experience with turntables, I'm just wondering if this is common/normal or not acceptable?

My platter is even, I just used my scale to make it complete even.

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot guys and happy listening!

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Generally TT platters has zero wobble, but your TT wobble is so minor I would not be concerned.

3. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I'd return it. Get something that doesn't wobble. A $200 used Japanese model won't wobble.

BrentB, Pythonman, richbdd01 and 4 others like this.
  4. chris geary

chris geary Forum Resident

I can barely see it in the video. I would take a look at the cartridge while you are playing a record, does the cartridge track ok?

It is probably a QC issue with the inner platter and the press-fit spindle. You might send it back, but there is no guarantee that the next one won't be the same. If it sounds OK, i wouldn't worry too much.

Jimi Floyd, Fekx and matthewp like this.
  5. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I had a Debut Evo, very nice sounding table with the 2m Blue I had on it, I can barely see any movement, off centre records (of which there are many) would have more of a noticable affect on sound quality.

Fekx likes this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

You'll of course get different responses, everyone has a different tolerance for things like this - but I always fall back on there are many TT's that don't wobble, and I'd prefer one of those. YMMV.

lazycat57, Big Blue, timind and 2 others like this.
  7. Technocentral

When I had my Evo the platter didnt wobble, I also hear it reported on 4 or 5000 Euro tables too though.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Fekx likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Typical of a <$500 turntable.

TSWisla, Big Blue and Fekx like this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I'd still prefer one that didn't though... :)

The FRiNgE, Big Blue and Fekx like this.
  10. Technocentral

True, me too.

Fekx likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Very common issue on newer TTs that use a subplatter. Sometimes simply reseating the subplatter and platter will fix the issue. Other times it's down to subplatter tolerances and QC, especially if the TT uses a plastic subplatter. Offhand I don't know if this one uses a plastic subplatter or not. Can't keep track of all the PJ variant models of the same basic TT.

12. Cedricvdh

Cedricvdh Well-Known Member

I have the exact same issue with my beloved Denon DP-400. I only noticed it after more than a year and a half of owning it. I was pretty upset at first. I'm extremely neurotic and have OCD - clinically, not just colloquially. I had ordered a lot of brand-new records with very minor warps and that's how it came to my attention that the platter itself was slightly warped - pretty much to the same extent as yours. Returning it was not an option for me.
    I knew that if I took it to the service center, the guy would tell me it was normal. So first I ordered another DP-400 turntable online, checked it, and returned it for a complete refund. The new one had exactly the same warp. I then went to the service center and the guy said it was within factory spec, that this is normal for a cast aluminium platter.
    From time to time, it still makes me a bit nervous but since they probably all come out of the factory like that and because I read online that plenty of sub-1000 euro turntables from Audio Technica, Pro-Ject, Rega.. have this, I am OK with it now.

If I were you, I'd still ask for a replacement though. Then you're sure it's not only yours that has this.

Fekx likes this.
  13. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

No, typical of a Pro-Ject.

Simoon and Fekx like this.
  14. Helom

Helom Forum member

It is IME.

Jacob29 and Fekx like this.
  15. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

There are different kind of wobbles, but this is worth looking into. I would get an inexpensive caliper and measure the platter and subplatter for the thickest point and thinnest point, and mark them in some way so you can position the subplatter and the place the platter on top in an optimal position. I suspect you may be able to eliminate the issue this way or at least reduce it.

You might also rock the platter lightly with your hands and see if there is some play in the bearing. This varies between models and tables.

Fekx likes this.
  16. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

Even though the wobble is minor, that is completely unacceptable IMO. A turntable at any price should fulfill basic functions, platter stability / levelness is one (well maybe wobble on a low end Crosley is okay : ) That wobble would drive me crazy.

Fekx and timind like this.
  17. Fekx

Fekx Well-Known Member Thread Starter

hey guys,

thanks a lot for all the answers.
    I decided to order another carbon evo to see if it has the same issues or if it just my unit.

Are there any better choices for around 500-600€?
    Would love to hear some opinions on other, maybe better, turntables.

Thanks a lot

Simoon and Cedricvdh like this.
  18. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Entry level projects quality control is not great. But you can also get a gem. I returned two debut carbons before I got one without an issue. One of the sub platters was bumpy the other was damaged in shipping (probably not their fault)

Fekx likes this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Chances are the replacement will have the same issue. If the wobble is the only issue, maybe count your blessings, or return it for a different brand or model.

Fekx likes this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

The time I checked out a U-Turn Orbit in person, it didn’t suffer any of the issues that typically plague entry-level turntables, i.e. loose tonearm bearings, noisy motors, or wobbly platters. It exhibited none of those. Same could be said for the Rega Planar 3 I saw on display, though it seems there’s an inordinate number of Rega problem threads on the forum.

zombiemodernist and Fekx like this.
  21. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

I have had problems with Pro Ject products in the past and now would hesitate to buy another. There are always alternatives.

Fekx likes this.
  22. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

My Audio Technica ATLP7 runs steady. It stays on speed without any wobble. Though at $850 its not near a top tier table, I would have at the least contacted the tech department and or did some research if it had those defects.

The wobble the OP's TT might not be making a sonic difference at this point in time, but it's something I'd look into. A big reason for me would be the possibility of it becoming a larger issue down the road.

I might be wrong, but it could be an indication of greater hidden defects which could possibly cause an audible difference at a later date. I'd be concerned.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    patient_ot and Fekx like this.
  23. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

that’s not normal. there should be no wobble but I have suspicion if zero wobble could be obtained with Pro-ject turntables at this price point.

Fekx and Cedricvdh like this.
  24. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

It the wobble is perceptible, then that's enough to drive me nuts. I couldn't live with that TT.

RWAudio, Fekx and gakerty like this.
  25. Fekx likes this.