Vincent SV-237MK Integrated Amp Problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have had this amp for about 5 weeks now and tonight while listening, it developed a very low level scratchy/rushing sound in the right channel only. The amp had been on for about 12 hours as it is most days. It doesn't matter which input is selected and can be heard in speakers and headphones. It is not affected by volume.

It was purchased on Amazon via Audio Advisor. I will be calling Audio Advisor support in the morning but for now just wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on...hopefully just something like a bad tube.

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It's a bad/noisy tube.

woody likes this.
  3. rockin_since_58

It uses a single 12AX7 and a pair of 6N1p tubes.

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

If the noise is in both channels, I'd guess it's the 12AX7 that's the issue. I'd ask AA in the morning.

5. rockin_since_58

Only in the right channel...Will post an update tomorrow after talking to AA.

Thanks

6. rockin_since_58

AA didn't have any techs in house today and one will call me tomorrow. Hoping they just send some replacement tubes to try out.

7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

If it's only one channel, you can swap the positions of the 6n1P-EVs. If the noise switches channels, you'll know it's one of them. It could still be the 12AX7 if not- that's a dual triode tube and if half went noisy....

8. rockin_since_58

That is my plan if I don't hear from them today. I would think that is going to be there suggestion also.

9. rockin_since_58

Well no tech again and customer service said it was ok to open it up and swap the 6N1P-EV's. Been running for about 2 hours and there is no random noises. Either re-seating them or physically moving them cause a change. I am thinking of replacing them just due to the fact that there was a problem in the first 5 weeks.

I came across a place here in California that sells cryo matched pairs. Is there any advantage to this or is it a gimmick?

6N1P-EV Super Cryo Matched Pair Tubes- Cryoset Online Store- Voshod

10. rockin_since_58

Well I spoke too soon...the noise just appeared in the left channel now...Glad to know it is tube related. Will wait for some comments on the cryo treated tubes before purchasing.

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Welcome to the world of tubes! It requires a little patience and tolerance.

12. rockin_since_58

I am just happy the problem was a tube...didn't want to have to return the amp to AA for repair. Also I was not able to order the cryo treated tubes. After adding to cart and getting to checkout, it said orders are disabled due to the owner being sick.

13. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

Following.
    I’ve got one of these and I’ve had it longer than any component in my system (I guess that means I like it). I did swap the tubes shortly after I bought it, but can’t even remember why.
    Anyway, hope you get it sorted.

14. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

I'm glad you were able to open it and not void the warranty. I talked with their German HQ (next country over) and he said I could not "roll tubes" and that the warranty is cancelled if I open the unit. I think it is beyond unreasonable to expect people to have to ship something so heavy back to who knows where just to swap tubes which are surely going to eventually need to be replaced. Needless to say, I didn't buy the Vincent.

Looks like a nice unit though, how are you enjoying yours?

15. rockin_since_58

I am just waiting for the replacement 6N1p-EV's I ordered to arrive. Since I had the top off, I also picked up an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 to replace the stock tube and that also made a big difference.

16. rockin_since_58

I am really enjoying it. Previous amps were a vintage McIntosh receiver and an Onkyo integrated amp. Still have both of them. I like the Vincent much more than either of the other two. I was also able to get rid of my DAC and headphone amp as the built in ones in the Vincent were superior to the Schiit gear I had.

tmtomh and HiFi Guy like this.
  17. rockindownthehighway

It's certainly a very handsome unit. I really like their designs, they have a steampunk thing going on.

18. rockin_since_58

Gotta say I am thoroughly disappointed with Audio Advisor's post-sale support. Never received a return call from their tech department. The saving grace is that the problem is just a bad tube and instead of waiting for them to respond, I just ordered a replacement pair. I'd hate to have a serious problem and have to deal with them.

ron325 and HiFi Guy like this.
  19. rockin_since_58

The replacement tubes arrived Friday and I am happy to report...no more static in either channel. Took awhile to post the update as we had no internet for about 30 hours due to the Woolsey fire here. Took a couple pictures of the inside when I had the top off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

timind, Brando4905, ron325 and 3 others like this.
  20. rockindownthehighway

Good on ya! Glad to hear it worked out. Nothing gives me a headache like sick gear :(

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  21. AlanR

AlanR Member

I had static in one 12ax7 tube tube that would come on whe the a/c kicked in. Took me a while to realize that was the cause. Initially I thought the tube was bad till I noticed the lights dimning then static that was continuous in that one tube. So I picked up a small Furmam power conditioner AC-215A. That did the trick.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  22. rockin_since_58

The amp has developed a low level rushing noise again in the right channel. It's only been 4 weeks since I replaced the tubes. I am beginning to regret this purchase. At least I did purchase a spare set of tubes last time around and I guess swapping the tubes will be tomorrows project. The amp is on between 10 and 12 hours a day and maybe just cannot handle this type of use. I ran my Mac 1900 nearly 15 years for 10+ hours a day and never developed problems like this.

Metamorphcycle likes this.
  23. Nero

Nero Rega - Oppo - Luxman - Sonus Faber.

I had the same problem with that amp, and it was a defekt tube that was the problem.

eventuelle I sold the amp and bought a Luxman :)

24. rockin_since_58

New tubes are in and so far, so good. I got roughly 1,000 hours out of the last set of 6N1P-EV's which I purchased from Parts Connexion in Canada....by the way, I don't recommend them due to very slow shipping. At the time I ordered these, I also ordered a pair from a Russian eBay seller and these are the ones I installed this morning. Also ordered another pair from Russia this morning so I will be prepared for next time. Also managed to strip one of the cap head crews head during the removal of the top but was able to get it out using a pair of dikes. When I closed it all up, I barely tightened the screws so I will not have the same problem next time.

rockindownthehighway likes this.
  25. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Would you mind reporting back on the various 6N1P-EV that you try?

Do not think the valves that come with the amp are up to much..:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.