Vinegar Syndrome 1/2 price sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by the pope ondine, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

VS is one of my favorites right now - they treat these old genre films with more respect than they ever got when they were originally released. In my opinion, they also have the highest quality slipcovers of any home video label (makes it fun for collecting).
    They're like the Criterion and Indicator of cult cinema. In addition to them, Severin; Arrow; Blue Underground; Synapse; Mondo Macabro; Code Red; Scorpion Releasing; 88 Films; even Scream Factory (at times); heck, any label DiabolikDVD carries, really - all treat these old cult movies with far more respect than the big companies treat their mainstream classics (though I will say Warner Archive has really stepped up their blu-ray game in recent times - fantastic picture and audio quality - though skimpy on any extras...kind of like Twilight Time).

I went all out during VS's Black Friday sale this year and nabbed my first Yearly Subscription. Hurt the wallet big time, but every month of 2019 will now be filled with crazy movie goodness!

To Vidiot: Thank you for all the great work that you do on restoring/preserving the VS titles! (Maybe if VS had the home video rights to the Star Wars OT, we'd finally get top quality original theatrical versions on blu-ray...but that's a whole other thread):p

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Love Vinegar Syndrome (the company), not the actual problem with film prints (smells like eau de polecat de phew-ee)

3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

While I don't agree with just turning knobs mentality or the gut correction (can anyone seriously blame me??) I truly appreciate the work done at Vinegar Syndrome.

Their releases have nice amount of grain and clarity and it is hard to argue with perfection.

If true I must give credit where credit is due. Fantastic work there.

The irony was me debating Star Wars (which I feel the blurays are nothing short of botched with the 2004 discs to be sheer anateur hour) and comparing to Vinegar Syndrome and nothing was said before.

Vinegar Syndrome is really something to be proud of. I have never seen so many releases without issue. This is more than you can say for Arrow, Criterion, and Shout Factory combined.

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Or Code Red. Owner Bill Olsen seems a little touched in the head. There is a Facebook rant where he is wearing that stupid Banana Man costume, insinuating that he might sue Vinegar Syndrome over their release of Mausoleum. He's done this sort of thing before. And he complains nonstop on the Blu Ray forums because his discs never sell as well as VS, Arrow or Severin. Well, geez Bill, maybe if you didn't publicly insult your customers and made your products available at more than 3 online retailers, you might sell a few!

5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

just curious, how long do they usually take to ship out orders after black Friday sale?

6. Barnabas Collins

They started shipping on Wednesday. If you consider that Mausoleum sold out in a day, then VS have upwards of 3,000 packages to ship. The only thing you can do is be patient. I just got my shipping notice last night and I ordered I think 26 (!) discs. My assumption is they ship to subscribers first and then those that did the Black Friday preorder second. What did you end up ordering? Here's my haul which I hope to have in a few days:

VS-096 The Executioner Part II / Frozen Scream 1
    VS-028 Judy / The Night Hustlers 1
    VS-097 Revenge of the Virgins / Teenage Zombies 1
    VS-220 Blood Hook 1
    VS-219 Terror 1
    VS-231 SLIP Blood Theatre / The Visitants (Slipcover) 1
    VS-230 SLIP Grave Robbers (Slipcover) 1
    VS-235 5 Films 5 Years - Volume #4 1
    VS-234 5 Films 5 Years - Volume #3 1
    VS-237 Buddies 1
    VS-236 SLIP House of the Dead [aka Alien Zone] (Slipcover) 1
    VS-240 SLIP Dear Dead Delilah (Slipcover) 1
    VS-241 SLIP Wonder Women (Slipcover) 1
    VS-242 SLIP Shot (Slipcover) 1
    VS-245 SLIP Memories Within Miss Aggie (Slipcover) 1
    VS-244 SLIP The House on Tombstone Hill (Slipcover) 1
    VS-243 SLIP Body Melt (Slipcover) 1
    VS-251 SLIP The Incubus (Slipcover) 1
    VS-250 SLIP Blood Harvest (Slipcover) 1
    VS-249 SLIP The Killing Kind (Slipcover) 1
    VS-248 SLIP Def By Temptation (Slipcover) 1
    VS-254 SLIP Beware My Brethren (Slipcover) 1
    VS-253 SLIP Sudden Fury (Slipcover) 1
    FP2018-KCCC-SECRET Flash Preorder: Killer Covers of Cutting Class + Secret Black Friday Horror Releases 1

7. the pope ondine

wow! nice list, I managed I think 15.....I lost track since I ordered over a few days...I know sweet sweetback, hobgoblins, Runaway Nightmare, some of the double features, I was gonna get wonder women, damn (rifftrax does a great commentary for it) now i regret not getting. I don't mind waiting, just curious

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  8. Barnabas Collins

I have Sweetback but haven't watched it yet. I don't have Hobgoblins or Runaway nightmare. There's always the Halfway to Black Friday Sale in May! ;)

the pope ondine likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

10. Barnabas Collins

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

thanks much!

12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Their blu-rays of Rudy Ray Moore films are amazing- by far the best presentations of these cult classics

Dave Garrett and the pope ondine like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked very hard on those. I believe Eddie Murphy is doing a big-budget remake of Dolemite right now.

jupiter8 likes this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Not a remake but a RRM biography--it's a Netflix movie called "Dolemite is My Name" written by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski.

Thank you for your work on those- they really blow away the previous Xenon versions (which were ok if not earth-shattering). I shot a few standup concerts (and one music performance) of Rudy's back in the late 90s- early 00s- he was quite a character to say the least--

Here's Eddie as RRM with Chris Rock and the director Craig Brewer ("Hustle and Flow")

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I picked up Sweetback, which I haven’t seen since I watched my Criterion laserdisc decades ago.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

unclefred likes this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I definitely like the Vinegar Syndrome blu of Draculas Great Love that I just bought. It's much better than any previous release.

18. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

I saw Mausoleum (with Fulci's "Gates Of Hell") at a mall theater so I had to grab one. The makers hadn't the least idea how to generate suspense or write a character but the film is a series of grotesque spectacles that had me transfixed. The January titles have been announced and while there aren't a lot of horror movies that I am unaware of this somehow eluded me. Cats Entertainment!

Paul_s likes this.
  19. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Can't beat practical effects.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can tell you most of them look better than they ever have before. :whistle:

21. Barnabas Collins

I recall seeing Gates of Hell, Mausoleum and Mortuary at a drive-in triple bill back in the early 80s. I was only 13 or 14 years old at the time, but it left quite an impression on me. I haven't watched VS' Mausoleum yet, but by all accounts, it is the best it has ever looked. Code Red's DVD looked pretty bad and it was also incomplete. It's too bad they couldn't have ported the Bobbie Bresee commentary over to the VS blu ray but I'm just happy to have a huge upgrade.

22. Michael

thanks to you!

23. Michael

Blood Harvest is fabulous!

24. Michael

I see they also released this in a standard version...how come the slip version brings in so much more on the secondary market when the movie is still available after the Slip version sold out?

25. the pope ondine

just watched Trip for Teacher good grade z exploitation flick! only quibble the commentary wasn't quite synched up, referencing things that weren't on screen yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.