Vintage Heresy speakers, a bargain?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by andrew in denver, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Ditto. Tilt angle is very important with Heresy. And I also have had very good sound with SS amps through Heresy, as well as tube amps.

bluesaddict, Ntotrar and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Congrats on the new speakers!

I think this is the going price, not a great deal but right on point. I sold my pair of Hersey I's last year for $389.

Ntotrar likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I still believe that the OP did get a bargain. Heresy's in good the excellent condition like the one's that the OP bought, will usually go for more than that.

Prices on vintage items are driven by the marker and their availability.

Check out this eBay listing for Klipsch Heresy. A general price might be more like $600, plus shipping. Some of the listings on eBay are less expensive but shipping costs are typically more.

Going on the Klipsch web site. The new Heresy III's are $999 Each. So, I think the OP got a bargain.

[​IMG]

Ntotrar likes this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I still think he made a good deal.

5. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

(I meant to reply to the thread starter oops) but holy crap, I haven't looked at the selling prices...they've gone waay up over the last year!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Used Kids sold a pair for $500 a couple months ago. I rarely see them listed for less than that in any condition you would want to take home.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That is correct!

But having a lot of cabinet abused vintage speakers is a good thing.

There a lot of old vintage speakers of all kinds, that have cabinets that have been neglected and making the speaker difficult to sell.

In these cases, the part out the speaker on eBay.

Comments have been made in this thread about worn or defective driver's and such.

When buying vintage gear, unless it is advertised as serviced and restored, the buyer should expect that some TLC is going to be needed.

This is good, because if buy a vintage speaker and you do have a part that has failed, it is easy and usually, not very expensive, to purchase just that individual part, used, on eBay.

Once you replace that part, you are go to go. No big deal.

The great thing about replacing speaker parts is that you don't have to be a M.E.N.S.A. candidate to tackle the job, usually a screwdriver and maybe a soldering gun, is almost all that you will ever need. You won't be spending much time doing it either!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes, there is no rocket science going inside of a Klipsch speaker.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

True, not rocket science. PWK was a rail road engineer and not the kind that drives the train. Does it count that he was a pilot?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I have a pair of 1980 Heresys and I swapped out the crossovers yesterday with a pair of Crites and it’s a completely different speaker. We swapped one out and hooked it up and the difference was night and day. It brought the top end back out. They do sound a bit hot, but not bad hot, at all.

11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I did notice they became a bit brighter as well.

phish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.