Vintage stereo McIntosh MC30s - MX110z Project - Progression of Setup (An Issue, Can you Help?)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zenarrow, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I didn’t think phonostages of yesteryear were up to the quality as more modern ones. It would to be really special to better my Phonomaster SE.

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

As far as 6L6GCs go, you can use them in the MC-30s as well as the ST-70. I have Dynakit MK IV mono blocks (essentially a 40 watt mono version of half a ST-70) and like the sound of GE 6L6GCs in my Dyna amps. Set the bias at 1.25 volts and you’re good to go.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

No, it's not going to better your Phonomaster, but it is still something special. With Teles in there, that is. Never heard it with any other tubes. If I still had my MX110, I would be running a SUT into that phono stage and loving it!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

That's good to know! How does the MX110Z compare to the vintage C22s and the recently reissued C22?

5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Someone else will have to chime in on that one. The only McIntosh preamp I owned was the MX110z.

6. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]P1010002 by Joe Hancock, on Flickr

A kind of thick industrial paper towel this size I simply cut in two. and placed it on the inside of my horn grills...

[​IMG]P1010001 by Joe Hancock, on Flickr

Seems silly but the results are undeniable.

Thank you KT88, putting a piece of heavy duty pigmat (shop absorbing mat) seems to have made a big difference. I doubted it at first, to be honest. But I tried it today, and I can tell just placing the mat in front of the horn, before I put the grill back on even, that it totally kills the the "shrillness" of the system. Who would have thought? I tested it on my test subject, and she said it sounded a lot better. My wife is becoming an audiophile. ...
    The sound is so different that I now keep the loudness off, (as I always did at higher volumes) Both the HF and LF are off and I have to turn up the Treble quite a bit to compensate.
    Not sure if this is a permanent fix, but I cannot tell any other ill affects either. It has transformed my system from being fatiguing to hands free enjoyment (thus far)
    I am starting to think maybe the 14's may not be the proper speaker for my system and area. Wondering what others have used in this setup mx110z- MC30'S ?

My system as I hope it can stay...

[​IMG]P1010001 by Joe Hancock, on Flickr

This photo, you can see the piece of grey mat in the horn grill from the flash.

[​IMG]P1010002 by Joe Hancock, on Flickr

As for the 12AU7's in place of the 12AX7's I have yet to try this. Should I, or will it mess with the bias? As I have been reading about it here and there. Thanks for all the tips everyone, keep them coming please, Joe

IanL likes this.
  7. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well never sounded right and I was a little cautious about diving into it.
    So I just, last week, took it to a tech in Denver.
    So it is about 5 or 6 weeks out. Hopefully the issue is resolved.
    Now I am just using my Mx110z with my Dynaco ST-70 it sounds pretty sweet still but I am getting itchy feet with the mono blocks. So going to see how this goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.