Vinyl Flat & Groovy Pouch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DR.J, Nov 5, 2012.

1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

To Dr.J
    Why don't you get an outer ring for your Scoutmaster. It flattens the records and your needle will not skip. That is what I use.

2. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good suggestion and I have thought about it. However, The whole thing strikes me as another relatively complicated step in an already multi-step process. Plus I can't store the ring on the platter with the dust cover on: won't fit. Maybe if I find one for a good price on Audiogon, I'll give it a shot.

3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I've used those outer rings on a friend's Scoutmaster before, and I just didn't like the idea of having zero room for error when lowering your stylus to begin playing.

4. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I store the outer ring under the turntable. Fits perfectly.

5. DR.J

Thanks!!

6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Any board members in Portland have one of these? I have a German Pye copy of Kink Kontroversy that has a slight warp. I will pay to fix it!

7. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Jeff Dorgay (TONEPUB) I think is in the Portland area.

8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Cool, thanks!!

9. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Get a good oven thermometer. If you read the Mejias article he didn't really pay attention to that. The extra 20 bucks spent on a good thermometer will save you a lot of agony later...

10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Why not get the Groovy Pouch instead for $49.99? Or do you think the oven is better?

I'm still on the fence regarding buying this product.

11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Plus $12 tax here in TX adds $30 to the price!

12. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I'm saying if you use the oven method, be sure and get the thermometer...

13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

What about the iron and towels method? Has anyone had success with that?

14. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Iron and towels?

15. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

Lemon Curry...?

:wave:

16. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

It works really well with the groovy pouch. I've flattened some very warped records with it. Just make sure to start slow (a few hours at a time) if there is a huge warp because the pressure against the felt anti-stick pads can leave an impression in the vinyl. Once it is almost flat, I have accidentally left it going overnight and still not ruined the record. It was flat, though!

17. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

When you take out the warp, does it take out the thump noise? I have a record that is playable with a warp on one side that causes a thump all the way to the inner groove.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've been doing some more experimenting and although a great product I am finding that the Vinylflat is not good at getting rid of extreme edge warps. There is only so much it can do.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes, it generally removes ant warp-related sounds in my experience.

20. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Thank you! I have to buy one and try it out.

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Anybody with a Vinyl Flat who is willing to flatten a couple of records for a fee? I'd buy one, but I only have two slightly warped records.

22. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

I found with those few that resist flattening, I add a row of "binder" clips all along the outer rim of the unit to add additional pressure. This works on all the records that resisted prior attempts. I have had NO failures with this method. I do use the pouch with the "groovy rings" and not the felt.
    [​IMG]

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I suppose I should update this because my last post was saying I had a problem. I have since talked to John and he replaced my Groovy Pouch (no cost to me) and I have been having success with 3 to 4 hour heat cycles.

24. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

This is a great product, IMHO, for rescuing those albums too warped it play. It has payed for itself over and over for me by now. I was sold after it salvaged Lucinda Williams' "West" of which I could not locate a flat copy either locally or through mail order. I tried 5 copies at least. The last one, which the dudes at Soundstage Direct gave me for free as they had shipped 3 warded copies, flattened perfectly and I am happy with the sound. Every vinyl collector should consider this as part of their required equipment. You need the pouch too as most of us can't tie up the oven for a day at a time.

25. DR.J

Since I started this thread, a piece of warning. Given my long cook times and great success with my Blue Box records, I went for it with another record. This time the record was an old Willie Nelson record my father gave me. It never played we'll due to a large warp. I decided to cook the record overnight in the groovy pouch. Let it cool for several hours and went for the big reveal: a cooked record with felt imprints all over and an odd shiney color. The bottom line is the record was ruined.

I still think the vinyl flat is a good product, just be careful. Don't tighten the screw too tight and start out with short cook time!!!