"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

My guesses

October - Gabor Szabo, Dreams or Bacchanal
    November - Coleman Hawkins, The Hawk Flies High (the other Riverside LP was as sideman on Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane)
    December - either Curtis Mayfield, Curtis or Donny Hathaway, Everything is Everything

bmusic and guidedbyvoices like this.
  2. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Dreams is was just reissed in May so unlikely to be that one.

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Bacchanal has a pretty cool album cover
    [​IMG]

4. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Bacchanal is cool, but the Bacharach and Donovan covers are real cheesy and kinda take it down a notch in quality, IMO. I might be interested if that's what's on the way, though. Szabo is an interesting guy. He was a scientologist, but then disowned them and sued them.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

On the other board it was said to be not Bacchanal, so it must be Dreams, even though it’s getting a separate reissue elsewhere soon.

Excited for some Coleman Hawkins and Donny Hathaway!

6. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

That was on a small Austrian label and no sellers in the US on Discogs so I could see them doing it for the American market.

Gabor Szabo - Dreams

I do see Light in the Attic had it but it is on back order now

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Seems as though many offerings from VMP are Jazz-related, many of which were already pressed by Analogue Productions or Music Matters. Sure, the Jazz fans might be happy with a cheaper-priced alternative but IMHO it would be better if VMP would concentrate on releasing albums which haven't been re-pressed a million times before, and especially by audiophile labels.

8. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I have it preordered with amazon for quite some time but they keep bumping the date back.

9. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Amazon likes to do that on imports I have noticed has happened to me a couple times.

Also I looked for it on Amazon and the Spanish 2017 reissue from 3rd parties is what comes up now

10. djej

djej Forum Resident

Yeah, my guess on December was going to be Donny.

11. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Dreams
    The Hawk Flies High
    Everything Is Everything

Juggsnelson and challenge like this.
  12. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

What is the story on The Hawk Flies High have never heard it?

I see the Mofi's are expensive of it

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  13. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

Neither have I but if VMP is putting it out it must be a seminal, lost, undiscovered and influential masterpiece.

JHC3 likes this.
  14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

What titles has VMP doubled up on? I can think five or so, four on expensive boxes. Only Blowin Session as a non box set LP? Freedom Rider and Fancy Free hadn’t been repressed a million times. If you look at their list of monthly classics picks, all of those jazz hadn’t been repressed tons of times, including the new Sonny Rollins Freedom Dance Song.

15. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

It's a great, great album. Right up there with the best of his output for Riverside. You can get a '82 OJC reissue for a pretty good price, and it (like all those early-mid '80's OJC's) sounds fantastic.

AlienRendel and keylime_5 like this.
  16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

My copy of Idler Wheel arrived with scratches from a loose piece of vinyl inside the inner sleeve. I used the ticket system on the VMP website--which I didn't even know about until I read about it recently in this thread--and got a response the same day. They asked me to provide pictures of the scratches. Once I did, I had a shipping notification for a new copy within the same day, as well. Either they really are working to right the ship, or going through the ticket system online gets results faster than emailing. I've never really had a problem with their customer service before, other than long delays responding to emails.

17. Michael T.

Michael T. Forum Resident

They're saying AAA but absolutely no mention of engineer or studio. If it's Ryan at Sterling or Bernie/Chris at Grundman they usually brag about it. Wonder who did the mastering? I'm not ordering until I know. Also, these should be on black vinyl. It's nonsense putting them out on mixed colors and pressed at Memphis.

mcrichley likes this.
  18. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

They are really quick and good with replacements if they have stock.

They are really bad at shipping, specifically not shipping your records and then not replying when you ask if they’re going to ship your records.

WithinYourReach and AlienRendel like this.
  19. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Gabor Szabo's Dreams? Really? I can't believe anyone is clamoring for this. This is the best they could come up with? I would have taken Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun over this any day. Let the swaps begin.
    As far as the other possibilities, The Hawk Flies High, Everything is Everything and Curtis are all great albums, but reissuing titles that were recently reissued AAA is just lazy when there are so many masterpieces that have yet to be reissued.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  20. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I am clamoring for Dreams. Thank you please, yes. I am guessing I’m going to be exchanging my three essential picks for the remainder of my stay with VMP.

GentleSenator likes this.
  21. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

The AllMusic Review of Dreams isn't exactly a huge endorsement for the album but I'm a big fan of almost everything I've heard from Gabor on Impulse.

22. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Mockups found crawling URLs on the site from a user on reddit reveal the releases to be:
    Essentials:
    Outkast - Stankonia
    Erykah Badu - Mama’s Gun
    Billie Holiday - Lady Sings the Blues

Classics:
    Gabor Szabo - Dreams
    Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High
    Donny Hathaway - Everything is Everything

Rap and Hip Hop:
    Redman - Muddy Waters
    People Under the Stairs - OST
    Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot

23. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

They’ve probably got me for all 3 in October.

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Got my Sonny Rollins in this week. Fantastic sound, no issues with the vinyl, solid cover. Happy with it.

very minor whines but don’t like the throw away outer plastic, the resealables were nice, plus I can’t peel off the hype sticker from this one. And the new Obi style is plain and ugly. Plus they should put the info on the hype sticker on the obi if were just gonna toss the outer. I liked the old obi’s, they let you see it was VMP at a glance without altering the cover like MFSLs do. Very minor complaint.

25. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Redman - Muddy Waters is a stone cold classic rap album. I hope people give this one a chance