"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

If anyone who bought a previous anthology gets a discount code for this and doesn't want to buy it I'd love to use it (assuming that is possible?). pm me if you have one you don't need. thanks.

2. DandyDancing

DandyDancing Loser of licence, Ex-driver

Anyone else notice Cash at Folsom is sold out?

Sneezyachew likes this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah at record shows (well before 2020) metal usually sold pretty quickly. Very in demand genre, even in CDs IMO.

4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I ordered the Metal Blade set. Not a fan of Cannibal Corpse at all but the only album I owned here was Fates Warning and I really enjoy Armored Saint and King Diamond. Digitally sourced isn't a huge concern for me here. I'm sure it will be well executed.

WithinYourReach and Spencer R like this.
  5. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I didn't see a discount code in the email and I've bought 4 Anthologies. Just a $50 discount for members vs. non-members.

6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Right, I misread what they posted on twitter. Only non members get the discount code if they purchased a previous anthology. Members get the $50/off. I thought maybe I could get the the 50 off for being a member plus a discount code.

7. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

If you bought an Anthology but you are not currently a member, they still send you a discount code. For this Anthology a $50 0ff discount code was sent. Unfortunately, the discount code is attached to an email.

8. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

This seems aggressively cheap compared to the GD and Herbie boxes.

9. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

It’s wav files.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Right, I see that it's pressed at GZ too.

11. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I’m as a big a metal fan as they come and even I’m not ordering this set. These are not exactly the front line recordings by either these artists or by the Metal Blade label. Metal Blade is a tremendous label and they have SO MANY classic albums but I have a hard time saying that these eight are among the top say 100 albums they have released.

12. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

$250 for eight albums. Yeah, sure, OK.

13. Sneezyachew

Seems about right???

14. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

$31.25 per album, not bad but not a good deal by any means

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Tough crowd. If they catered to my niche interest, I’d find $31 a pop for a box of unique colored vinyl pressings of a musical subgenre and specific titles that MoFi and Analogue Productions will never touch to be more than reasonable in today’s vinyl market.

As they already catered to my interest with the country track, whether their venture into metal succeeds or fails is ultimately a curiosity to me. I’d almost rather that it fail so they keep focusing their energy on country, blues, soul, and jazz.

16. Juggsnelson

About on par with MOV and their digitally cut metal albums. I have enjoyed a lot of VMP's product and hopefully this is no exception.

WithinYourReach and Sneezyachew like this.
  17. Sneezyachew

I would assume they divide up duties by departments and such... hasn’t it been announced they’re adding at least 3 tracks this year?

18. Juggsnelson

I'm with you on the fact that this genre is getting some love and I for one appreciate it! I ordered right away. Now I certainly would have picked some different titles myself but maybe if this does well, another box won't be far behind. Metal records are notoriously expensive on tbe second hand market and tough to find in great shape.

WithinYourReach and Spencer R like this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ve said it before: metal and country are two absolute no-brainer targets for VMP, as neither genre has ever been well-served with audiophile reissues, and, as you note, in my experience, clean original copies of classic albums in both genres are snapped up quickly at used record stores.

This Cannibal Corpse stuff is way outside my wheelhouse of knowledge: all I recognize about these artists and albums is the names of some of the bands, but I’m assuming there are many people who are passionate about this genre. I still say that if VMP simply did a cool colored vinyl press of a standard Motley Crue or Van Halen album in the Essentials track, it would sell out in a heartbeat.

20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Listened to the MoFi What's Going On over the weekend. I think it's fantastic. I wouldn't pay the going rate for it now, but then I wouldn't pay that for any single LP.

I'm not sure I want to bother with Fremer's review. I got it to replace a mid-'80s version that went missing for whatever reason.

21. Juggsnelson

Agreed on The Crue and VH.

22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

When do they announce the new record of the month, not March, but April.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

He’s the one they call Dr. Feelgood … he’s gonna be pressed in your Frankenstein Green Splatter Vinyl.

24. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Third week of March, probably.

25. MrChad

MrChad Forum Resident

They should announce April, May and June towards the end of the month, but they’ll likely drop hints in the coming weeks.

misteranderson likes this.