"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

My take aways:

1.) I clearly do not have enough tattoos or indoor plants.
    2.) The tip of the knife is going to start poking through that leather sheath before too long.

Bodhi, beginthebegin, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  2. Meh, this is what my pinkie nail is for. That, and tootin’ coke. :)

3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Lmao! This is literally like an SNL joke ad. Waiting for the funny voiceover to come on. Also what’s up with that one shot of an exacto knife? “Can’t beleive I used to open albums w an exacto knife like some shnook”. :)

WithinYourReach, Bodhi, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  4. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

Ah . . yeah. Thanks. Be great to have a strategy.

RZA
    Lee Morgan
    Wu Tang
    Miles & Coltrane
    Southern Playa
    Aliens
    Call Me

5. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I'm very confident that RZA and Wu Tang will be in Swaps again next month.

I'm mostly confident that Miles&Trane and Call Me will reappear in swaps next month as well.

I'd prioritize Lee Morgan, Southern Playa and ATLiens this month.

RockyRaccoon, Bodhi and BreakBeat DJ like this.
  6. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

My copy is waiting for me at home, but I've been really busy and out of the house this week, so haven't had a chance to listen yet. It's really encouraging to see so many positive comments for it on here and elsewhere. Really looking forward to this one.

7. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

That chick is not going to listen to the Vertigo Sdtk

DHamilton likes this.
  8. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I'm wondering what the hell happened to the side of that record player at the 0:58 mark.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Looks like damage from corrosion-resistant fix-blade Damascus steel to me.

10. Hopping Tiger

Hopping Tiger Forum Resident

I have a few Tiffany Transcriptions and I recommend them. great stuff.

11. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

genuinely interested to learn what your audio rig consists of.

Geee! and GentleSenator like this.
  12. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I've listened to it a few times now and I would go so far as to call it "definitive." The sound quality is a big improvement on the previous vinyl releases I have in my collection, the cover is really well made... I can't imagine we'll ever see a better release of this classic album.

13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I've been searching for a nice vinyl copy for years, not sure one existed. Now it does!

mikemoon and recstar24 like this.
  14. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

It really is good. I just finished a first listen. Heartily recommended.

15. Bodhi

Bodhi Forum Resident

VMP shipping is so frustrating. 3 records this month, all arrived with significant damage. Probably batting <50% arriving without damage. Their mailers are so flimsy.

That said, thankfully their customer service has always made things right. Sent me 3 full replacements free of charge <24 hrs from my email to them.

But I have to wonder what they are thinking from a business perspective. Would have to think it would be a lot cheaper to just use sturdier mailers.

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

In this case the multi-disc CD issue is a much better listen and has far more content. I’ve had the VMP version since it’s first pressing.

17. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Yes, they always fix it, but I can't imagine the cost of sending out complete replacement records - what they did in the cases I reported seamsplits - instead just use a proper mailer in the first place. On the other hand, I don't really mind, I flipped the extra copy with damged sleeves or gave 'm away to friends. But still, it's not very environment friendly.

Bodhi likes this.
  18. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

ive had zero problems with their mailers in the past 15 months ive been a member. Its the same mailers i get from several other places and have also had zero problems. Always surprised to see these comments, must have some rough mail handlers in your areas.

Chris Bernhardt and lpfreak1170 like this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I am really happy I singed back up for one month to get Low End Theory. My first copy owned but of course I know the tunes from back in the day. I think the 2x45 sounds really really good.

Eamon, Juggsnelson and Shawn like this.
  20. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Sorry for the late response, but I just got Phil Ranelin, The Time Is Now! from my local store. Looks to be pressed at GZ, but my copy was good, save for a mild wave. Played very clean — sounded good to me. The jackets are printed-on-board, not tip-on as the web site claims, and the really obvious half-tone printing on the back-cover photos is a slight let-down (maybe from a scan of an original jacket?), but the music makes up for it. :agree: I was only interested in a couple of the titles from the box, so I'm happy to pick them up this way.

mikemoon and Swordsandchains like this.
  21. Bodhi

Bodhi Forum Resident

I receive mailers of all types from all over the world multiple times a week with almost zero issues, so it isn't anything unique the mail handlers are doing with VMP records.

22. Ragged Glory

I've just given mine a first listen and I agree completely. The presentation is outstanding, not just by VMP standards, but for vinyl in general. It sounds fantastic and the pressing is almost flawless. 'Definitive' is the perfect word for it.

Got my swap in for this month, sticking to my new 'one VMP channel per month' approach. Justice swapped out for Pharcyde. I'm not a hip-hop fanatic by any means, but ATCQ and Pharcyde in consecutive months are both obvious picks for me. Interested to see what they have lined up for the next quarter.

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with Swaps, that or credit.

I love hip-hop and I dig Pharcyde but I need to go back to this album. Will stream on my walk today.

VMP is the audiophile hip-hop reissue label, producing mostly definitive versions. There may be a few originals that top the reissues. I was testing this theory this weekend with Goodie Mob Soul Food. I think the OG won out by a bit.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  24. Ragged Glory

It dawned on me recently that a lot of the 'bloat' in my collection is VMP stuff that I picked up on a whim by adding extra tracks, only to then listen to it once and file it away to gather dust. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of outstanding VMP releases that get a lot of play - ATCQ will join that list - but I think sticking to just one release per month (or taking store credit) will limit the possibility of adding more dust-gatherers to the collection.

25. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I like hip hop but not too big of fan of that particular pharcyde album. Swapped for Tenacious D

mikemoon likes this.