"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was at that Radio City show. It was awesome.

robbroncs and misteranderson like this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Did Bjork open the night before? That would have been amazing too. I know she did a few gigs that spring with Radiohead.

3. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Can't believe we're getting Spiritualized! I'm stoked for that!

I already have the reissue of Buena Vista Social Club, but I really want this version and give someone else my current copy. Such good music.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna swap or keep Continuum. Never really gave John Mayer's music a good listen.

PBo, Beamish13 and jimhb like this.
  4. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Yeah, they went quick in the swaps, but as someone else mentioned, they repressed it, so I expect it to be available again.

They had a lot of sold out titles available for swaps this time, albeit some more limited than others. Aretha, Blossom Dearie, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Gorillaz. Would have liked to grab a couple other things but ran out of swaps.

5. zargoz

zargoz Forum Resident

I quit VMP 4 or 5 months ago, they kinda hit a dry run for my tastes and collection. But Tyner, Buena, and Spiritualized? Dang it, they're pulling me back in...

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I swapped Mayer for Handsome Boy Modeling School. Blossom Dearie was a few months before I first joined VMP, so I never had a shot at that one. I'll be all over a repress of it.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

The exact same thing happened to me. True story. ;)

findog3103 likes this.
  8. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I checked out this comment on Twitter, still kind of confused, will it be available in Swaps again between now and June 30?

Or they had ample copies at 5:05, but not at 5:30 when I logged into swaps?

I've been into her music for a long time but I'm super confused why a female jazz vocalist is seemingly the most popular record in Vinyl Me Please history.

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The Essentials seem to get pressed in larger numbers and don't typically go OOP right away. I switched from Essentials to Hip-Hop and Classics for this reason as I will typically swap if I don't like one of them.

I wonder if the BVSC will be AAA. I thought the last reissue was but I do remember there being some debate. I know the most recent White Stripes is not and I was a bit surprised.

recstar24 likes this.
  10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I missed the boat on Spiritualized because I never heard of this band or album before this thread. Took a listen to the stream and not sure I get the excitement for this one. What am I missing? Why the fervor for this one?

11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Will the spiritualized record include the “cant help falling in love” lyrics on the title track?

edit: just saw they confirmed it on Twitter. It will have the Elvis lyrics. I need this.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I can speak for myself at least. I’d never heard of her before the VMP and wasn’t a VMP member at the time. A friend who knows my tastes - small combo jazz like Nat King Cole’s After Midnight, Holiday’s All or Nothing At All - thought I should check it out. Played it on Apple Music. Meh. Played it again one rainy gray cold day and it clicked, I loved it. Maybe it wouldn’t be such a big VMP favorite if it was a lush strings album. The stripped down combo works well with her voice and choice of songs on it. Also - what a great cover photo to match the music.

by that time it sold out. There’s not a lot of previous vinyl issues floating around at reasonable prices, I’ve looked. plus it sounds like VMPs version is a great mastering and pressing. Her other albums have tons of cheap copies on eBay but none of them hit me nearly as much as her debut. I think word spread quickly that Blossom was a great under the radar release, plus the rarity of finding discogs or eBay vinyl copies from original verve’s or the Japanese reissue, made the VMP skyrocket.

13. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Blossom Dearie has been a fan favorite in Japan for a long time. Interesting how a lot of jazz artists are appreciated outside the US (and have a huge following) before they are accepted in the US. I remember Japanese record store owners made a killing back in the 80s and early 90 coming to the US and buying up original jazz, blues and soul records (I guess not so much now?).

Beamish13 likes this.
  14. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Here's a snippet from the AllMusic review, it's a great album:

"Working with his blues trio/rhythm section of bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Steve Jordan, along with guest spots by trumpeter Roy Hargrove and guitarist Ben Harper, Mayer brings all of his recent musical explorations and increasing talents as a singer/songwriter to bear on Continuum. Produced solely by Mayer and Jordan, the album is a devastatingly accomplished, fully realized effort that in every way exceeds expectations and positions Mayer as one of the most relevant artists of his generation. Adding weight to the notion that Mayer's blues trio is more than just a creative indulgence, he has carried over two tracks from the live album in "Vultures" and the deeply metaphorical soul ballad "Gravity." These are gut-wrenchingly poignant songs that give voice to a generation of kids raised on TRL teen stars and CNN soundbites who've found themselves all grown up and fighting a war of "beliefs." Grappling with a handful of topics -- social and political, romantic and sexual, pointedly personal and yet always universal in scope -- Mayer's Continuum here earns a legitimate comparison to Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. Nobody -- not a single one of Mayer's contemporaries -- has come up with anything resembling a worthwhile antiwar anthem that is as good and speaks for their generation as much as his "Waiting on the World to Change" -- and he goes and hangs the whole album on it as the first single.

It's a bold statement of purpose that is carried throughout the album, not just in sentiment, but also tone. Continuum is a gorgeously produced, brilliantly stripped-to-basics album that incorporates blues, soft funk, R&B, folk, and pop in a sound that is totally owned by Mayer. It's no stretch when trying to describe the sound of Continuum to color it in the light of work by such legends as Sting, Eric Clapton, Sade, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Steve Winwood. In fact, the sustained adult contemporary tone of the album could easily have become turgid, boring, or dated but never does, and brings to mind such classic late-'80s albums as Sting's Nothing Like the Sun, Clapton's Journeyman, and Vaughan's In Step. At every turn, Continuum finds Mayer to be a mature, thoughtful, and gifted musician who fully grasps his place not just in the record industry, but in life."

I mean, if you honestly give it a chance and don't like it, so be it. But I think it's worth getting the "Body is a wonderland" Mayer out of your head and give this a chance at least.

RockyRaccoon and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

It’s quite good all around, highly recommended!

16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  17. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

My first VMP will be the forthcoming Thelonious Monk Palo Alto. Somehow I saved $300 on shipping, which I guess means I didn’t commit to a subscription.

18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Oh yeah, you need to block off some time and take it all in as one experience. There's not one note out of place.

"That's what ranks Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space alongside the best art: Jason Pierce and a big band that included his ex-girlfriend and a whole slew of people that soon became his ex-bandmates faithfully render the cycle of loving anything-- the innocent exuberance, the bitter rejection, the episodic denial-- in 70 perfect minutes."

aseriesofsneaks and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I saw them play it when it was released. ;-)

SJR and Gabe Walters like this.
  21. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I have Sahara so swapped for Jorge Ben. Don’t like the yellow color of the LP but will live with it if sounds good.

22. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I remember buying the Spiritualized cd back in 1997 because I thought the cover was cool and interesting.

Sometimes miss the days of buying an album for a reason like that with no idea how it sounds.

Then it becoming one of your favorite albums of the 90's

23. ACAB

ACAB Forum Resident

The Spiritualized album is fantastic, and it’s an incredible live experience, but for me it’s also quite strongly planted in the 90s, production wise. It might have less appeal and seem a bit dated to anyone hearing it fresh now.

Just think, the gap between now and when it was released (mid-June 1997) is longer span of time than between its first release and when Diamond Dogs (to name but one) came out.

24. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Did VMP make a mistake on the mastering engineer for the upcoming Idles vinyl?
    They state Bernie Grundman, but the last Idles lp was mastered by Barry Grint. Is it possible they got the BG incorrect? I don't recall Bernie Grundman mastering any punk bands.

Seogu Lee likes this.
  25. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Well I decided to can the Mayer. I really like this album but I just don't see it being a major improvement over the MOV. If RKS did the mastering and cutting I'd be down but going to skip this one...I think.