"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Got mine about 3 weeks ago. No warp, surface noise, non-fill, or any other issue to speak of.

2. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Anybody know what's going on with the Herbie Hancock Anthology Vinyl box set VMP was supposed to release last month?

3. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I don’t recall ever seeing anything that said it would be released last month, only “this summer”. Summer technically ends September 22nd...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Arknine

Arknine Forum Resident

yes, had issue with it. Side 1 , final song. Sent VMP a video they sent a replacement. Received replacement last Friday, same issue. I’ve emailed them on the second copy having the same issue and am awaiting their response....

5. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

That is what is wrong with mine also

Arknine likes this.
  6. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

It’s unclear what the issue with the last track on side one is in both these posts. Could you please elaborate.

mine is fine no bowling. Plays great. Haven’t cleaned it yet.

7. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

I've got the same thing. Been too lazy to take video and contact CS, but will soon. It's a periodic crackle (about once every rotation) for the last half of the song on mine.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Dudley Morris, BeauZooka, SJR and 6 others like this.
  9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Tough to swallow $47.50 / album (members pricing) ... but it has the promise of being the "definitive editions" of these Sparklehorse albums. Fortunately I only have Sparklehorse albums on CD, so I can console myself with not "double-dipping" on the vinyl.

My modest brush with Mark Linkous was at Grog Shop Cleveland Ohio, April 1999. Varnaline opened for Sparklehorse and Linkous was standing right next to me in the audience during Varnaline's set, so we were grooving to the music next to each other, occasionally side-glancing at each other in approval. Recognizing that he seemed as introverted as I am, I maintained boundaries and didn't impose myself upon him beyond sharing space and joy of music with him for a while. (And also thankfully, no one else was imposing themselves upon him either; Grog Shop was generally chill like that, back in those days at least.)

Craig.

11. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. domesticmachine

huge fan (Got my copy of Vivadixie LP as A thank you for signing up for the Sparklehorse promotion team, hoping they’d send me a copy of GMS since the import was $30 US before it came out domestically) and even though I have original LPs of all except GMS hard to shell out $45 an LP. I am assuming they will be real see individually given that the deluxe Tshirt is ‘coming soon’ at Sparkehorse.com. Wonder what will be the exclusive aspect of this set if not just the box and liners. Not colored variants as they are black. If it’s the Ryan Smith and QRP plates (GZ pressed) that’s compelling. Either way welcome news.

I hope they aren’t like the David Grey White Ladder where the VMP exclusive ends up being the only pressing without major issues.

BeauZooka and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

"A box set containing the first four LPs from Sparklehorse, exclusive to VMP. Remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, on 7LP, 180g vinyl with exclusive side D etchings."

The tracks on 3 of the albums have been spread out over 2 LPs. with music on 3 sides, and the 4th side has an etching.
    I believe previous reissues were on single LPs, and the first and second LP's were not gatefold jackets either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  14. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I just sent them the a video and they have new one on the way. Impressive customer service on that situation

Dignan2000 and Jackstraw78 like this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The price difference on the Sparklehorse set is $50 between member and non-member price. It's quite a bit when I consider that's USD and not CAD. But is it worth saving the money and becoming a member?

I was never quite sure on their member rules. I don't really need anything they have coming up, except maybe the Spiritualized lp and I'm probably late on that one.

16. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Non-member price is just too expensive for me. Bummer, but I can console myself when the Dead box eventually arrives.

17. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I ended up paying about 136 euros for the box (membership discount + store credit being taken off and the dollar is low compared to the euro) so that’s 34 euro per album. Which I consider a normal price these days for a new double lp pressing. So I’m good :righton:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I don't have any interest in Sparklehorse (thankfully, since I don't need anything else to buy right now) but kudos to whoever decided to make them 3 sided double LPs instead of stretching them needlessly across 4 sides. A big pet peeve of mine! I wish more bands/labels did this. If only doing so would bring the price down. :laugh:

19. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

You’re not too late for Spiritualized. It’s the Essentials ROTM for September, so if you sign up this month, you should get it.

bloodlemons and eddiel like this.
  20. ghostmouth

ghostmouth Well-Known Member

It still looks like if you sign up for Essentials you still get Buena Vista Social Club, but in November. Is there a way to sign up for only Spiritualized now or should I just commit to a 3 month subscription to guarantee it?

21. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

The new ROTMs are usually announced on the 27th and swaps close at the end of the month. If you join within that window, you should be able to get Spiritualized. If the demand exceeds the amount they’ll have available to ship in September, it may be like BVSC, where some orders won’t be shipped until much later.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Cool thanks. I think I might go for the 3 month subscription option to get the discount on the Sparklehorse boxset. The incremental cost would be worth it to get the other regular releases.

I wonder if this Sparklehorse set will get a wider release. I imagine it will at some point.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  23. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Totally agree. But; ditch the worthless etchings! Put on some b-sides, demos, alt. takes, live stuff... anything!

24. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

great band and awesome on vinyl but yet another cash grab. $47 per record and double vinyl where the 4th side is unused is crazy waste of space. why not make it 45rpm over four sides if its gonna be double lp or better yet throw some b-sides on side 4. I know some people too lazy to get up but if getting up 3 times dont see how the fourth is the deal killer....at that point why not listen to the cd or never get up again and just stream.

finsaah and Jerry James like this.
  25. domesticmachine

agreed. Chords I’ve Known EP would have been nice. Waiting for Nothing is the last track on the original slow river LP and not on this. All his Bsides are wonderful.