"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Hoping these Sparklehorse LPs will be released individually down the road. I'm not down with the pricing, it should be $120 for four albums.

jimhb and BeauZooka like this.
  2. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

A question for you VMP veterans:
    How often does VMP vinyl stay exclusive to VMP?

I want the Sparklehorse set badly. But at the price they are charging I would be pissed if I bought it and they were released on another label later. Conversely, if I didn’t buy it and it never came out elsewhere I would kick myself hard.
    What do you think? Thanks :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

They get their own pressings, which is what makes them exclusive.
    Plenty (almost all) VMP releases have other pressings, many made with the same mastering.

BeauZooka likes this.
  4. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation :righton:

5. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

See my post up thread about the Tshirt posted in the Sparklehorse site. Also there’s no way the estate is limiting their potential profits from remasters to be limited to a 1,500 VMP collector edition. My opinion. Given the website updates I assume well hear more about potential represses for Xmas season in the coming weeks if they are coming. If so there will be minor variants. Likely the etching and liners.

are the liners done by a VMP person or a journalist? That would say a lot.

ad180 and BeauZooka like this.
  6. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Liner notes by Erin Osmon, who looks to be a true journalist and author.

7. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Are there any individual pressings of the albums in the Zamrock box set? That's one I regret passing on given the positive comments here and what it's going for now.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

been hoping for sparklehorse reissues for a long time, but i'm just not sure i trust this company enough right now to give them $50/album and wait until the end of the year to receive.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Shes a great writer. She did the Jason Molina book and that was excellent.

BeauZooka likes this.
  10. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Anyone know when the Grateful Dead box is supposed to ship?

11. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

As far as I can tell, no. Rappcats has/had some titles but I think they were different than what’s in the box. They had some leftover boxes too but at a jacked up price.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well I just bought mine and now I'm wondering why they can't be trusted! :)

We're at page 80 and I haven't read the entire thread, so what's the story here?

13. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

They can over-promise on shipping dates and their logistics need a lot of improvement but I wouldn’t be worried.

14. Idlers

Idlers Well-Known Member

Just some things that come to mind:

• They offered a 3-for-2 subscription offer to too many people, therefore overselling August's Buena Vista Social Club. They've had to offer people store credit instead, and advised a repress won't be available until November.
    • They over-sell regularly - the June record of the month also needed a similar repress.
    • Customer services can take over a week to reply in some cases. Other people report a response in a day or two. My understanding is the 'Where's my order' emails are the ones that take longer for replies.
    • They can lose your address details from an order so it just sits at pending until you intervene.
    • Some people are waiting for in-stock records from months ago.
    • They can send you the wrong albums - when you contact them, the albums you wanted are out of stock.
    • Preorders that you've paid for can suddenly disappear from your list of orders. They give no notification of this. You need to notice it and contact them for a refund.
    • They've allowed a third party seller to create multiple accounts, allowing them to purchase dozens of copies of a limited pressing and sell it for profit. Difficult to police this but it's annoying for those that wanted that particular record.
    • They will only refund a warped record if it passes their nickel test: you need to fit a nickel under the warp for it to class as being an issue.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yikes. I hope I miss out on those issues. I don't really want the BVSC so ok to wait and I was late on it anyway. But I'll keep that in mind for future releases.

As for their nickel test, please tell me they mean you need to fit a nickel laying flat under the warp and not upright?!

Actually, I already ran into some issues with my membership. I did purchase a record form them awhile back, Nat Turner Rebellion. So when I went to join I was just going to use that account. But I could not login. I figured I might have checked out as a guest but just in case, I asked for a password reset, but the site said that my email address was not valid. I thought, ok, I'll join proper. When I tried to join it wouldn't let me as they said that email was already associated with an account. Ok. Another password reset and nothing. So I decided to join using a different email which worked.

But when I went to purchase the Sparklehorse set, it showed me the member price and added the item to the cart with that price, but when I went to pay, the price changed to the non-member price. I then noticed that the email on the order was the original email address I tried to join with and they also had my home and work address, which I did not add on this account, only on my previous account. I logged out. Logged back in and this time it worked. It was all very weird. I'll make sure and check my notification emails and order page going forward though.

16. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Would really like the Spiritualized record, but it looks like far too much effort.

Wasn’t overly impressed with the Fiona Apple record I received yesterday...no effort in packaging and very crackly...for a $40 record...

zerbrechen likes this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

well you should take solace in knowing the manufacturing issues aren't necessarily VMP's fault. if you can get them to respond, they're generally pretty good about resolving this sort of thing with a replacement or credit.

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Well, gave a listen to my copy of John Mayer's Continuum and it sounds fantastic. More laid back than I remember so I'm expecting this to be the result of the mastering. I'll compare with my MOV pressing and report back for those who care.

In the meantime, this is the best I remember this album ever sounding so I'm quite delighted with this purchase.

19. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I gave Continuum a spin when I received it a few weeks ago and realized immediately it's not an album I need on vinyl so I sold it.

20. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

21. Idlers

Idlers Well-Known Member

jimhb and Nephrodoc like this.
  22. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Company plagued with problems AND prices going up? Geez that's not good. Thanks for the reminder to cancel my subscription which I just did.

Idlers and Dreaddazzman like this.
  23. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I mentioned it in that thread but I would not be surprised if we see inflation kick in the vinyl market. I have noticed Amazon has raised a lot of prices

AlienRendel and Sneezyachew like this.
  24. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that the albums will be released individually eventually. I suspect VMP negotiates exclusivity for a certain amount of time, but I'm sure at least the Now-Again albums in the set will get another release in the future.

25. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Signed up with the recent 3-month deal and added a Classics add-on for August and was actually really digging it. Will definitely be canceling now.

I went ahead and canceled my Add-On since my order is already processing for this month. If I cancel my 3-month now (set to expire after Sept) I should be fine - but should I just wait until my Sept order goes through before canceling to avoid any weird potential account problems?

Idlers likes this.