Vinyl shops in Denver?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Leviethan, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Ahh, vinyl in Denver...i remember walking into Wax Trax in the late 70's and they popped on the "newest" thing from across the pond and it was "Get It" by Dave Edmunds..wonderful stuff which of course i bought :) Great store back then. I used to do the monthly vinyl tour--hit Finest Records in Ft.Collins, then Albums on the Hill in Boulder then finish off at Wax Trax and Twist and Shout in Denver. Back then Twist and Shout was a smaller shop on Pearl Street just down from Listen Up which i frequented a lot also :)

Sigh, those were the days...nothing but barely used vinyl, with lots of WLP's too...

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Twist used to be Underground Records for many years on the Pearl St. Location.

3. starkiller

That's right it did didn't it? Really tiny place, loved it that his poodle would wander around and greet folks also:goodie:

4. jon9091

They had cats everywhere too! I was living at 2nd and Logan for a time, and would cruise over there at least twice a week.
    Tons of stuff in there.

5. starkiller

Don't remember the cats as well which is strange as i love 'em :) a lot of my $ went there for sure. After my monthly tour of those shops use to then listen to them, when i was done it was file 'em and then go back out do it again on a weekend...

6. jon9091

They were usually asleep on top of the bins somewhere...most likely over by the windows.

Now, what I'm not quite sure of is the whole story of how it went from Underground to Twist and Shout. If I remember correctly, Underground got in some trouble for selling some "underground" recordings. Next thing you know, new owner, new name. At least that was the story back then. Shortly after...Twist moved over to the Alameda location.

7. starkiller

Now that you mention it i kinda remember the cats on top of the bins, i usually always went there at night and it wasn't the best lit place around. I also believe that story is correct, i think it was bootlegs though.

8. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

Can any of you Denver vinyl guys recommend a guy who is good at TT setup in the area? I'm looking for the kind of guy who can measure SRA.

thanks.

9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

So how was your shopping experience in Denver?

10. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

Just drove by Independent, another Denver Record Store bites the dust. Went in, no big savings yet, 20% off new, 30% off used. Not sure how long since they announced the closing sale.

independent.JPG

11. starkiller

That's a shame, bought stuff in there once in a while:(

12. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Never been to that store. I make the trip to their flagship store on Platte Ave. in Colorado Springs.

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

T
    his store is now an Angelo's location. Haven't been there yet to compare to their other locations.

14. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I have kinda given up on that Angelos on Colfax, its mostly 95% dirty G grade records, the kind of shape were your fingers hurt afterwards as the lps are so damn dirty. Bruce (mgr) is a nice guy with plenty of stories of the old Electric Factory days in Philly, but the used LPs are worked and I had only bought 1-2 lps there in all of 2014. However they occasionally have amazing prices on new stuff from time to time.
    C

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Oh yeah, their used records in Aurora are pretty much junk too. I like them for the great selection of new cds. How is the cd selection on Colfax?

16. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

went to Earth Pig yesterday in Colo Springs and today in Boulder I hit Bart's and Absolute vinyl.....all of them barren. Sad

rob303 likes this.
  17. Boulder Bob

I was in Absolute Vinyl today - not sure what you mean by barren. I think it's a very nice store, Doug takes care to clean all his records, grades them fairly and prices them within market. You can listen to anything before you buy on a nice Rega rig. He maintains a nice selection of used and sometimes vintage gear. In fact I took a pair of Bozaks home today on approval.

When you say barren - what exactly do you mean?

I also know Bart personally and I believe he also does a very good job and has a pretty impressive inventory.

I consider myself lucky to live in a town that has shops like Absolute Vinyl and Bart's.

Cassius and rswitzer like this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Barren??? Meaning no customers or no scores?

19. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I'm in those places all the time and there is no lack of foot traffic! He's gotta be saying its due to no scores cuz that's been my take as of late.

20. Boulder Bob

scores meaning buying things at below market price?

21. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

When I said scores I just meant "cool things you wanted to buy".

rob303 likes this.
  22. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

nothing for me to buy is what I meant...not in super shape and no great titles or surprises. no big deal, i expected as much. had to check though

rob303 likes this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'm glad you clarified. I'm in Bart's all the time and while I don't shop for vinyl, the place looks pretty stocked (and thankfully busy most of the time) for LPs. Bart was just showing me a Japanese Abbey Road with Obi he had gotten in recently that was in very nice shape. I know from talking to him as well that he has a TON of LPs he has yet to get through and grade. I believe he has a storage space somewhere in town where he keeps the larger collections he acquires from time to time. The back desk always has piles of LPs that they are trying to grade and get through to put out "on the floor".

rob303 and Boulder Bob like this.
  24. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Hmmm…tempting.

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think he's asking 75 clams given the rarity (just FYI). I saw it on Saturday so only a couple of days ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.