Vinyl shops in Minnneapolis

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by PHK84, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHK84

PHK84 New Member Thread Starter

I will visit Minneapolis and Chicago on a business trip i March, and i would appreciate information about where to find any decent shops for new and used vinyl.
    I have a fairly good ideea of som shops i Chicago area, (VVMO, Reckless, Music Direct), but Minneapolis is unexplored regarding vinyl.
    Anyone??

2. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

Treehouse Records, 2557 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55405 (612) 872-7400

This shop features a decent selection of new and used CDs and indie vinyl.

Roadrunner Records, 4304 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55409 (612) 822-0613

Nice selection of new and used CDs and some indie vinyl.

3. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Treehouse and Roadrunner are definitely worth checking out, but Cheapo in Uptown (1300 W Lake St.) has a better selection. Upstairs is digital, downstairs is vinyl (new and used).

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Hymie's on Lake Street (a couple miles east of Cheapo) is also filled to the gills with vintage vinyl.

Cheapo also has locations on Snelling Ave. in St. Paul and University Ave. in Columbia Heights, but the Lake Street location is the biggest and best.

Too bad you didn't visit a year ago when Root Cellar and Let it Be were still around, but alas, they've closed.

5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Cheepnik,
    Do you know whatever happened to Oarfolkjokeopus on Lyndale avenue in south Minneapolis? I use to hang out there a lot back in my college days and knew the owner and some of the people that worked there. Peter Jesperson, for example, who was involved with the independent music scene for awhile with the record label Twin Tone. I heard they had a fire at one point, but then reopened for awhile, anyway.

I remember that being the best store in town for vinyl rarities and imports, when I lived in Minneapolis.

6. Cheepnik

Harold, it's now the Treehouse store referred to above. Same location (26th and Lyndale) as before. It was bought and renamed a few years ago by Mark Trehus, who managed it for years. The store itself has been open (except for a while following a fire about 20 years ago) since the early '70s.

Yes, Jesperson worked at Oarfolk for quite a while until he co-founded Twin/Tone with Paul Stark and went on to manage the Replacements (and also did time as R.E.M.'s road manager).

7. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Oarfolk is now Treehouse Records

8. LousyTourist

LousyTourist New Member

gee, I guess I will have to venture out of St. Paul and into MPLS.

Where exactly is that Uptown Cheapo, and is there parking?

9. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

It's on Lake St. Two blocks off Hennepin

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Flying in on Tuesday of this week.. If I could only hit one store for vinyl...what is the way to go? Most of my business meetings are near the "Mall"...

11. Cheepnik

There's metered parking in front of the store, but parking in So.Mpls is generally a breeze anyway.

12. Cheepnik

I'd say Cheapo (1300 W. Lake St.). If nothing else, it's a bloody huge store. You'll surely find something. It's a 20-minute drive from The Fall of America, if that.

13. ivor

ivor Senior Member

There's also free parking in the back of the store (off Lagoon Ave.)

14. Dave81

Dave81 New Member

Chicago area: Beverly Records

This place is... well... interesting....
    Beverly Records

http://www.beverlyrecords.com/

They have tons of pre-rock era vocal... most is totally beat to *****. Dusty. You'll probably find what your looking for, but it will be beat up, expensive... but you'll find it (after hours of digging).
    Bring your handi-wipes.
    I am interested if other posters have a critique of this place. :confused:

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Minneapolis is definitely a haven for vinyl collectors. Lyndale runs straight north-south in the middle of the city, so it should be an easy drive up and down the street.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hey I just thought of something...we get this question a lot, with travellers looking for a clue in this city or that...doncha think it would be a public service if we had all these threads in one place?

17. PHK84

PHK84 New Member Thread Starter

Any of the Minneapolis shops that has "in stock" and sells new audiophile vinyl, like Classic Records etc.??

18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Another vote for Cheapo. They stock lots of new vinyl including stuff from Simply Vinyl, Analog Productions, Sundazed, and Classic.

19. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Fall of America. Good one. :D

20. Cheepnik

Amazing to think that the Met Center and Met Stadium used to sit where that dump is now. My only trip there was to spend a gift certificate that could only be redeemed at MoA. :thumbsdn:

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

You know, Cheepnik,

That mall is the weirdest development to me since I left the Twin Cities years ago. I wouldn't have expected a sparsely populated state like Minnesota to be home to the country's biggest mall. I ignored it for years like it was a bad joke, and then finally went there out of curiosity with my daughter on a rare trip back home to see my relatives. It's got like one example of all the different mall-type stores you see all around the country, and of course they aren't any different than those. They're all generic franchise stores, nothing unique or independent. Then the place is so huge that some franchises have two stores in different locations in the mall! It's just one big monument to commercial crassness and the uniformity of post-war era American suburbia. Yuck.

22. 33thirdcom

33thirdcom New Member

Treehouse and Roadruner are good. only been once... Never been to Cheapo, sounds like Amoeba out here in LA.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm just bummed that the hospital I was born at is now a parking lot adjacent to Target Center downtown.

24. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I wandered in there once after the Southside St.Patrick Days parade.I agree,the place is kinda beat but it's got a lot of stock.I was looking for Beatles at the time and found nothing out of the ordinary.

25. ivor

ivor Senior Member

C'mon, the hospital you were born at can't be that much of your identity. ;) What's really weird is the Hard Rock Cafe and Hotel they put up right across the street from First Ave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.