Vinyl storage shelving/cubes dimensions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phishman, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I am having someone build custom shelving into the wall of my listening room. I was wondering if anyone can help with the dimensions for the cubes.

The IKEA shelf that I have at this point is too deep. Would 13x13x13 inches be the right size including box sets?

I would really like the records to jut out slightly, so probably the depth should be around 11 in.

Appreciate inputs and insights from folks who have built custom shelves for their record collection.

many thanks!

2. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

I used 13.5 inches for each row here. I keep my box sets on a shelf above this.
    [​IMG]

I have added one more row. And can expand for years :)

Phishman and Aftermath like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I haven’t built custom, but I use cubes that have a snug fit around box sets, so maybe this will help. I think 13” (interior, of course, not 13” centers) is about the minimum for box sets, and I would say err on the side of 13+. My cubes measure a hair over 13” interior clearance, and a couple of boxes are close to not making it. I would measure any box sets you already have just to be sure.

If I was building something custom, I would actually have the vertical divisions closer than 13” to reduce the amount of weight potentially leaning on each stack.That may give things more of a slot look than cubes, but I like the idea better in terms of safe storage. Keeping things fairly tight in the 13” cube helps, but I would definitely not feel comfortable going much beyond 13” wide. If you want the appearance to be squares, I think you should be fine just matching the 13”+ height. But, for my personal preference, I would bisect that, so each section is about half as wide as it is tall.

If you are sure you want them to stick out, 11” should be fine. I wonder, though, if it may be more prudent to give them the capacity to go in flush, and just put 1-1.5” spacers at the backs of the shelves if you want them to jut? Just in case you change your mind?

Phishman likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Nothing wrong with one of those rows being slightly wider; as your collections stands there, I don't see it needing to fit more than one row of box sets within the context of that current selection...unless you have a lot of critically-ageing audiophile friends and relatives...:evil:

Then again, shelves like this designed for "flipping", don't really need to hold box sets in the first place if there's standup shelf-space nearby. IMHO.

Phishman likes this.
  5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My custom shelves are 14.25” x 14.25” x 11.25”. The desired total height divided by 5 is what set my opening height. It’s hard to get a good photo. This is in a closet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate it.

7. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I use Ikea Kallax shelves and solved the issue I was having with LP's sliding in too far. I bought some cheap pool noodles and cut them to fit in the back of the shelves tightly. This acts as a "bumper" stop for my LP's perfectly.

BrilliantBob and sturgus like this.
  8. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Just get an old thick bool and place it behind the records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.