Vinyl - The Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mike, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike

Mike New Member Thread Starter

This looks like an interesting movie about vinyl collectors. It looks like the filmmaker is selling VHS copies.

http://vinylconfessions.com/

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Thanks for the note about the VHS availability ... I've been looking for a way to see that movie for some time. I'm going to try to get one post-haste.

I think this was the Audio Asylum thread that first got me interested to see it.

3. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I don't usually spend much time in this section of the forum, but I noticed this post. My friend and I are trying to find a way to buy a copy of this, but there is no way to do it on his website. I emailed him and hope to receive a response.

Did any of you read the sections on his site? The true ramblings of a madman. That stuff was so long I couldn't get through more than a few paragraphs of his Nick Cave CDR story before I gave up!

4. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

If you e-mail him, he will send you info on how to get the video. I haven't watched it all the way through yet, I have to watch it in small sections. It is both hilarious and disturbing. All the obsessive vinyl collectors he interviews say "It's all about the music" and his response is "No, it's not".

Jay N.

5. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Nice....I have become somewhat addicted to vinyl over the last year, but only because I am really interested in hearing what stuff sounds like that I have never heard before. I do see people in used record shops all the time that look a "little off-kilter" to put it lightly.

6. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I've met Alan many times. As a matter of fact he interviewed me for his Vinyl film! Didn't use any of the footage. After seeing the film, I realized I was not "eccentric" enough. He wasn't interested in discussing collectors who searched for the best sounding version of music they love.

And yes the film is all true. I'm familiar with most of the people interviewed as they are all hardcore music collectors who frequent the Toronto record shows. One of the main collectors interviewed sadly died a couple of years back. I wonder what ever happened to his mountains of vinyl that totally dominated his apartment?

7. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Yes, he sees the obsession as going well beyond the music. He maintains that the music is just the starting point. There's one collector who goal was to collect every record ever made!

8. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I loved the scenes where he showed a collector proudly holding up his most unusual and unique record, followed by a montage of about 10 more collectors holding up the same record.

9. JPartyka

I wrote to him a few days back via the email address on his website, and haven't heard anything. Is he usually a little slow to respond, or should I try again? I'm getting pretty jazzed up to see this ...

10. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I am awaiting a response as well. I have turned 2 other people onto this, including an owner of a legendary record store that deals with people like this all the time.

11. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

If I remember, it took about a week for him to respond.

Jay

12. JPartyka

OK, well I'll at least give him that long then. Thanks!

13. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

14. Which guy was that? The one who Alan offered to help get some shelving units for his albums, to get them up off the floor?

I saw the movie last year. A friend of mine in the music business in Edmonton sort of knows one of the guys who was interviewed in the documentary. Most, if not all of the record collectors interviewed were complete nut bars, IMHO. Especially that guy who claims he's trying to get every record in the world. Reminds me of that Robert Klein commercial parody, "Every record ever recorded, yes every record ever recorded..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.