Visually, your favourite films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Django, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I've seen a lot of the films mentioned here in theaters, well projected, some 70MM. But for me the most beautful cinematic sequence was the opening to Dick Richards 1975 "Farewell My Lovely". The film itself is quite beautiful throughout. But the opening... those blurry incandescent colors... never have seen anything like that since. And not just an effect: it immediately pulled you into that world.

brew ziggins and Panama Hotel like this.
  2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

2001 : A Space Odyssey / At Play In The Fields Of The Lord / Grease - Stunning, beautiful & amazing!
    [​IMG]

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

This is an easy one for me...

Wong Kar-wai - In The Mood For Love.

There is that term (and a great youtube channel as well btw) - every frame a picture, and this is no more truer than in In The Mood For Love which is just stunning visually. The colours, shot angels, the dresses....a treat for the eyes and a fantastic film all round.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have the one sheet poster on my wall and I got the limited edition cd soundtrack.
    The opening does indeed draw you in. I was into identifying with Marlowe when I was a heartbroken alcoholic college kid. Standing by my fifth floor dorm window, whisky in hand.
    great post

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I was just reminded of scenes in The Last Emperor. So many of the scenes stuck with me. the little boy running out through the curtain, the deep red kisses on his face, the old woman dowager, the suicide attempt, the drabness of his life when he was reduced to a commoner.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I was just watching William Wyler’s The Collector last night, thinking the exact same thing about the street scenes.

Siegmund likes this.
  7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yep: another very good example - and the part of Hampstead where the abduction takes place still looks much the same (or did, when I used to visit it regularly a few years back). The interiors, of course, were filmed in California.

stepeanut likes this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Yes, the soundtrack is great too. As good as Chinatown soundtrack. Who needs virtual reality anyways?

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I talked to Andy from Swing Out Sister 2 years ago and told him I had the OST on cd. He freaked, begged me to give him a cdr next time he was in town.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Rear Window

11. Many, many excellent ones have already been mentioned. I'll add

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    Into The Wild
    Finding Neverland
    The Way
    Children of Men
    Soylent Green

Also, I'm weak for Pirates of the Carribean Part 3, lol. But too much CGI is practically cheating. Scorcese made good use of it in Hugo, though. As do the Narnia films.

in animated films, Fantastic Planet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the Japanese animated films look like they'd be awfully impressive. But I haven't checked any of them out, beyond a few previews.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.