Voice of Music Model 270 cartridge replacement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zbarbera, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever! Thread Starter

I had been after a standalone to play 45s and 78s (great, another medium to get in to) and last year in a moment of serendipity I came a cross a Voice of Music Model 270, in really nice shape, at Goodwill for the princely sum of $12. It's got an Astatic 146 in it at the moment.

New stylus is cheap enough. But, what would be a reasonable upgrade to the Astatic if I wanted to go that way? Not looking for HiFi. My main listening system is for that. This thing is just for fun, without completely wrecking my 45s. So want to keep it under $100.

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

That record player is designed to work with a crystal cartridge; it is probably not compatible with a modern moving magnet design. You can get a replacement stylus many places including here: Product Detail

I'd be cautious about playing anything you care about on this player; it has a very high tracking force. Probably in excess of 10 g. Fine for old 45s and 78s, but not much else.

zbarbera likes this.
  3. zbarbera

Indeed. No valuable or newer 45s will be going on it. Mostly I planned to use it for 78s and older beat 45s. Just for fun playing mostly.

That's exactly the stylus I found on eBay.

Mostly I was wondering if something like this New Electro-Voice 5550 Cartridge Needle/Stylus EV Astatic 146-7 Pfanstiehl P-147 | eBay would be an upgrade. How much better are the later series (I assume by the model number) carts.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That may be a new question here.
    The world's expert on Voice of Music machines is Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com.
    You would need a new ceramic cartridge, and he has them

Voice Of Music, V-M Audio Enthusiasts

There's no way to link to the direct page - Click on Cartridges on the left, then Specialty Category halfway down the page, click Ceramic to see the choices.
    You could send him an email for his recommendation. One of those may fit exactly or nearly.

zbarbera likes this.
  5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Note that cartridge does not have a 78 stylus; they require a larger diameter tip. It's an old player and it works. I'd be hesitant about making major changes on the low odds of better sound; there is only so much that machine can do.

eBay $10: PHONOGRAPH RECORD PLAYER STYLUS NEEDLE for Astatic 140 142 146 148 164-DS73 | eBay

zbarbera likes this.
  6. zbarbera

That's the guy I picked up a couple of needles from.

I'm expecting no miracles or amazing sound fidelity. but was curious if there was even a relatively cheap modest gain to be made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.