VPI 16.5

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kenny Green, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenny Green

Kenny Green Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Gotta tell the world!
    Finally succeeded in getting it to stop leaking!
    VPI was gracious enough to supply me a new fan to tank gasket but things didn't stop there
    It's an older one I bought used
    WHAT A PAIN
    was a VERY frustrating repair, didn't make a lot of sense and took several attempts but now all is good!
    I'm just going crazy right now, wash and rinses and dry as a bone!
    YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A HAPPY DAY finally for a change!
    Yep, it's a good day!
    Kenny

Rickchick and mr. faded glory like this.
  2. Kenny Green

Kenny Green Well-Known Member Thread Starter

ALMOST had an irreversible sad attack
    About midway through my cleaning marathon roadtest I did what I have always done with this machine and cleaned the brush by removing the wand and running it over the intake hole
    Well, foamy cleaning solution just poured out the bottom
    My heart sank but I flipped it quick, dried it out, but the bottom panel back on and went and grabbed 10 more records
    All I could think was "NO WAY!" as I am super thorough and careful with my work

Did the records, wash and double rinse with no tank drain and everything is still perfect
    Thank goodness, I was going to lose it!

Now, that ALL the unmetered air flow is eliminated, including what come with the 16.5 from the factory, the power of the vacuum motor creates enough of a cyclonic type effect to pick up anything in the tank, even despite the double baffle, and exhaust it all over the interior of the box
    So, no more of that

Fortunately, with this maintenance/repair I had sprayed the entire interior with the Flex Seal Spray stuff you see advertised on TV as well as sealed all the joints where the MDF panels join and the black laminate ends with silicone sealer
    Worked very well

Dodged a bullet thankfully! If that thing had somehow started leaking again only two days after wrapping it up it would have broken my heart

This machine doesn't owe me anything, I LOVE it except for the well known MDF issues
    That's my only knock on all things VPI, they sure do love that MDF

I am convinced they dribble a little from the factory new, it's just that fiberglass batting they use to try and quiet it down a little bit catches it, you don't SEE the fact that your machine is drooling until you notice the bottom panel changing shape (that's what happened to me); I could tell it had leaked a tiny amount at the tank/top plate joint for year (VPI doesn't seal or put a gasket there at all)

I removed that junk from mine and sealed the staple hole with RTV, all it does is collect moisture and grow mold

Anyone here that has a VPI RCM and wants to hang onto it I would highly recommend you get some of that spray and seal the interior of the box BEFORE the leaks start, and change that tank to fan gasket at least once every 20 years! (rots, like a foam speaker surround I learned)

Kenny

Andy Saunders likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.