VPI — Anyone Else Notice the Price Increases?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

From VPI's site:

Cliffwood – $1000 (used to be $900)
    Player – $1600 (used to be $1500)
    Prime Scout – $2500 (used to be $2200)
    Prime – $4250 (used to be $4000)
    Prime Signature – $6250 (used to be $6000)

Currently, it seems that at Music Direct and some of the other online stores, the price hikes haven't kicked in yet on all the models, but I'd assume that'll change eventually.

Far as the price hikes themselves go, it's kind of a strange mix. The higher-end 'tables barely got a raise (4-6%), ditto the Player, but the Cliffwood and Prime Scout got raised a lot (11-14%).

The Cliffwood is allegedly not a big seller for them/is not a frequent 'first choice' table in the sub-$1K space, rightly or wrongly... so not sure that a significant price raise made a lot of sense there. And the Prime Scout is now in kind of weird space, priced far above things like the Rega Planar 6 and Technics 1200GR, and not all that far off the new Planar 8.

Ah well. It's still good stuff. :thumbsup:

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Just checked and I can confirm the price hike has taken effect at MD for all models except the Prime.

Dan Steele and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  3. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

The new pricing structure was announced earlier in this month and I think the 23rd was the last day to get their stuff at the old prices. Elusive Disc sent out a notification about the increase.

displayname likes this.
  4. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Best to go used. People are continually giving up or aging out of analog. Lots of stuff being offered. Much of their old stuff is arguably better than their newer stuff. If you have the bearing inspected and (if necessary) updated with new ball bearing and plate, a used table will be good as new. A TT is a unique audio component in that you can actually see its wear.

5. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

Upscale Audio still has their prices the same for VPI. But the rest of the vendors increased even locally to me.

6. Cyclone Ranger

I like Upscale (got an amp off them). Hope they hold out for awhile (but who knows).

Hopefully the fence-sifters on a new VPI purchase know that they ‘gots to get on it’ to duck the price increase.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

Probably selling off current in-house stock before ordering new inventory.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I heard from my dealer that Golden Ear's prices are/were supposed to go up. Also McIntosh increased prices back in January. Also Emotiva. Also Magico. Now VPI.
    It has to do with the tariff increase on Chinese goods.

9. Cyclone Ranger

Is there a lot of expensive Chinese content in VPI ‘tables?

I don’t know myself, just asking.

10. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Didn't think so personally, as i thought there big thing was that there parts and assembly are done in the US. I justt think it's a good excuse for most of these manufactures to Jack up the prices and make more

Oelewapper likes this.
  11. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Tariffs I am sure have something to do with it, but in general as far as I can remember prices for high-end gear always go up )). Even for EU goods, where weak euro should keep their prices in check. So 4-5% once every 2 years is totally normal... Salaries and benefits, materials and parts costs are raising, so...

Jim N. and macster like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

lightbulb likes this.
  13. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

VPI should be fine with the slight price increases.

macster and LeeS like this.
  14. Old Zorki II

I think I read it before. Some of them crying wolf (Bricasti charges what, $10K for their DAC, I am sure cost of aluminum $1/pound they can eat), some are correct.

Balthazar, Helom and 5-String like this.
  15. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

It's quite possibly related to raw material prices going up from VPI's US suppliers/vendor who would likely source from China. Even if the parts all come from the US, they still need to be machined with metals etc that most likely do not come from the US. Costs get passed along up the chain....ultimately to you.

Big Blue and macster like this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Pythonman likes this.
  17. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Prices are going up all over on many things. Raw material prices have risen, transportation costs have risen there are a lot of factors. I would say VPI's increases look pretty small relatively speaking and likely reflective of their increased costs rather than an attempt to be more profitable.

Pythonman likes this.
  18. Old Zorki II

Most of high-end manufactures claim that costly R&D, precise domestic manufacturing and expensive US and EU parts are the reason for uberhigh prices.
    So they should not complain much, it is more mass market companies who really got hurt by tariffs...

Oelewapper likes this.
  19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Components and accessories have increased, too. The periphery ring now lists at $1100, where it was $1,000. 10% is a pretty hefty increase. Fortunately I just scored a used one.

JohnK

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

I believe the motors are Chinese sourced.

VinylSoul likes this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Minor increases.

They are known to be around 95% US content. Go on their site and there is a new video posted with HW and Matt briefly discussing the US content.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

you don't know that
    all you know is that some vendors and dealers are using that as the reason they are citing for raising prices
    that is all that you know
    Michael

Balthazar, Twinsfan007 and Scott222C like this.
  23. Michael Chavez

no

24. Michael Chavez

I did - almost a year ago - it's not a news article, it's editorial written by some random dude, a "freelance writer and editor based in Los Angeles"
    Jacob Green
    the consumer electronic tariffs didn't take place - and THIS year, as in 2019, The White House announced that consumer electronics won't be taxed so as not to effect Christmas pricing (orders already placed)
    Michael

aroney, Balthazar and Scott222C like this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

95% will mean the motors be made in the USA. Yes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.