VRP type sleeves or good old paper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rpd, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

What is the way to go re storing of cleaned LP's? I always thought the VRP type sleeves were the way to go, but now I hear that plain paper are the only way to go....

Let the fun begin...

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I don't know where people hear stuff, but don't go with plain paper even if you don't go with VRP's (which I like, though others have stated they aren't the same thing as the old MoFi sleeves of yore). Plain paper will at least scratch the surface of your LP, if not deep enough to affect play, but they will most definitely get a bunch of grit and paper dust all over the LP which you then have to clean again.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My money's on the "rice paper" sleeves which, I think, are the "VRP" sleeves you mention. I still have a handful from my last bulk purchase. They're lint free, and for me they're pretty much free of static. I believe these are made out of the same plastic that they make milk jugs out of.

Worst sleeves I've ever seen are the "gummy" plastic sleeves, like Glad wrap. I've actually bought LPs where the plastic has adhered to the vinyl and left a funky residue. Only a very strong solvent-based cleaner (I think it was something like Nitty Gritty Power Cleaner...?) was able to get it lifted out of the grooves. Now whenever I see those sleeves? Instant trash.

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

VRP sleeves are fine. I've had Lps in those for over 15 years - no problem. I agree with Rudy, avoid the vinyl sleeves with the paper outers - bad news. All paper sleeves will do is just make you Mint records into Mint- records after a while.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Hey, rpdugan, I just saw prix's post about paper sleeves. That's where people hear things. :) Well, the Disc Doctor is a name I trust and respect, but, man, I dunno about this one. I've never had a problem out of VRP's. Ever. Paper get's folded and ripped, the seems split, paper grit gets everywhere, it scratches the surface of the record. Can't call myself an expert, but . . .

6. audio

audio New Member

Dude, it's quite simple. Just pick up the phone and call Duane yourself if you wish. He'll tell you the same thing he told me. I spent about two hours on the phone with him discussing sleeves. He even said I should make my own because the label holes are a bad idea. I couldn't source a paper sleeve without the hole. So after discussing with Duane, the Disc Doctor, who is IMO THE record care guru and a friend of Steve's, guess which kind of sleeves I purchased? Plain old cheap paper, friends. The best thing for your lps. If your paper sleeves are mucking up your albums, it's not the paper's fault. Be more gentle....it's as easy as that.

7. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Plastic lining inside the sleeve is a must, really, because plain paper is not smooth enough, and it will leave scuffs and particles of paper on the album as you move it in and out of the sleeve. You can minimize the damage by keeping the sleeve's edges away from the vinyl as you move the LP, or trying to gently roll it our instead of doing the simple in and out motion:)

As for more expensive (VRP and Nagaoka sleeves), I am not sure the benefits entirely justify the cost.

8. audio

audio New Member

Plastic is janky, my man. It's not inert, see? If you really want to be freaky, then pick up some acid-free paper and then you don't have to worry about discoloration of the label in twenty years. Paper does absolutely no harm at all to the vinyl IF you are careful as in your description. Any paper particles from manufacturing can quickly be removed with a blast or two of the ole compressed air.

9. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

For what it's worth, I think the key is in doing what SVL says above. I also blow gently into the sleeve when sliding in an LP so that the sleeve will stay 'open'.

You could probably scuff an LP with just about any kind of sleeve if you just pull it out or drop it into the sleeve without being careful.

10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I like VRP sleeves - but I can't seem to find them anymore. Acoustic Sounds stopped selling them.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Where's the cheapest place to get VRP sleeves?

12. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

13. Guy from Ohio

Those sound like VRPs, why don't they just say that? I'll try them as soon as I get through this 100 pack of poly-lined paper I got. Probably be next week :)

14. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Because they (the new Red trumpet's sleeves) are NOT VRPs.
    They are more like the old MFSLs (nothing printed on them).
    I got 'em and I recommend them.

:thumbsup:

15. Guy from Ohio

That's exactly what I'm looking for. The problem with the poly-lined paper ones, although they are nice, is that they add bulk.

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

The problem with the poly-lined paper ones, although they are nice, is that they rip at the seams.

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Try Music Direct. I saw it in their neato catalog.

18. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Regarding discoloration of labels...I have dozens of LPs that have been taken in and out of the same old VRP sleeve (with brown instead of blue printing) since 1978. None of the labels are discolored, none of the vinyl looks or plays funny, and none of the vinyl is scuffed. Unless I hear different from somebody who has been personally caring for a large vinyl collection with this product for over 25 years, !'ll trust my own experience.

20. audio

audio New Member

Who said VRP sleeves discolor the labels?

21. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Prix, here is what you have stated on this thread and the "Cleaning Records" thread :

"Plastic is janky, my man. It's not inert, see? If you really want to be freaky, then pick up some acid-free paper and then you don't have to worry about discoloration of the label in twenty years."

"With a plastic or other sleeve, there is question as to the purity of the materials it is constructed with and absolutely no guarantee it won't react with the vinyl negatively."

"The issue with the VRP sleeves is not scuffing, but rather what chemicals are in the sleeve material and what they do to the vinyl as they shed over time."

I simply do not agree with what you are inferring regarding VRP sleeves, based on my 25 years of experience with this product. I DO agree that poly/vinyl type plastic sleeves are not inert to such a degree that they will harm records.

22. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Ben: I think VRP is just a brand/marketing name. The "rice paper" (OK, milk jug plastic) sleeves I bought from Audio Advisor about a decade ago are exactly like the original MFSL sleeves, and nowhere near as expensive as MFSL's 10-packs were. I keep thinking that there was some other record collector supplies outlet that sold these in bulk, but heck if I can remember it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.