Walt Disney's "CIRCLE VISION 360 Movies--I miss them!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Remember at Disneyland (and probably Disney World) you could go into that theatre in the round and get sick to your stomach watching that movie that stretched all around you in a circle?

There was one called AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL and another about China?

I wonder why they removed that from Disneyland? It was sure neat. There was one shot of the Statue Of Liberty with all the fireworks that was filmed during the 1976 Bicentennial celebration that was soooo totally cool.

I guess no DVD of those could ever be made. Maybe if I had like 20 TV sets and put them in a circle?

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

There was one at DisneyWorld in Orlando that was a ride on a train in 360. Very Cool!

3. billh

billh Senior Member

That's one "ride" at Disneyland I don't miss--because it really did make me sick to my stomach.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Unlike Godzilla, I am familiar with these. I saw one of NYC at the New York World's Fair in '65. It was a ride from the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan.

mud-

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I used to love those movies. It seems to me when it was announced it was going out I asked why and was told just not enough people went in there. It always seemed like there was people in there to me though. I guess it was just part of remaking it into Eisnerland, like closing the submarines. There was always a long line for that.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I saw one at Disney World with my folks and sister around 1987 I think. It was such a blast! They had hand rails so you wouldn't fall down.
    I did notice that the prints were slightly off color from one another, but it was still quite an impressive and fun technical achievement.

Dan C

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Aren't there still some at Epcot? I think the Canadian and French films are still being shown, or at least as of two or three years ago.

8. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

We had something similar over here for a couple of years at Alton Towers - it was called Cine 2000 - it was quite funny watching people fall over as the action moved overhead :)

All the best - Andrew

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

According to the latest issue of Disney Magazine, the Chinese 360-film is being updated and will be running in Epcot soon.

There's an awesome one that plays in the Magic Kingdom (Tomorrowland) in Disney World, in an attraction called "The Timekeeper." It's hosted by an animatronic robot, voiced by Robin Williams. Guaranteed to make you queasy!!:hurl:

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I saw that one last year. I think that there is another one there, too. I have the worst case of motion sickness on earth, however I felt fine after seeing that one!! I go to these amusment parks for the kids, I can barely look at a ride without feeling soemthing coming up my throat. You'll find me sitting in the shade at the Batman Daredevil show (6 flags) or getting my exercise walking around the park with a back pack full of stuff that no one else wants to carry.

11. Evan

Evan Senior Member

They have that at Tokyo Disneyland also, at least they did last time I was there. Neat, but it makes me queasy also.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The last time I was at Gettysburg they had one. If it's the same kind of thing that your guys are talking about....

13. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

The family and I went to EPCOT at Disney World in March and enjoyed the 360 movie about Canada. It's funny how a somewhat dated technology can still have an impact. Good thing they have those rails to hold on to.:hurl:

14. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, those rails were crucial!

15. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Dinsey has had a bad habbit of closing great attractions. Monsanto's Journey into inner space is the one I miss the most. Epcot closed one of their best attractions Horizons. Closing America Sings was a big mistake IMO as well.

16. Steve Hoffman

Don't forget when they closed the Main Street Electrical Parade for that turkey parade! And the Submarines!

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is that the one that starts out in the hot air balloon? - it is dated, but there is some stunning photography.

I don't know, they kept that crummy Mission to mars open for a long time.

18. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

I remember seeing one of those 360 films at EuroDisney a few years ago.. Just can't remember exactly what it was.. only remember it being breathtaking! (wonder if that one is still there?)

19. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

At least they brought back the Electrical Parade (although it's at California Adventure). Last time I looked the Submarines were still empty. It was just closed because it cut into the profit too much, even though people still lined up for it. I used to enjoy Country Bear Jamboree too, a good place to get off you feet awhile. But, sadly, it's gone too. Kind of weird to close something and then make a movie about it though.

20. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

I remember seeing one at Disneyland where you go down Lombard street in San Francisco. I thought it was so cool! I sure hope they bring that one back!

21. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that's the one! Totally neat.

22. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

That's what was shown at Cine 2000 over here too :cool: remember going there on a school trip many, many years ago :)

All the best - Andrew

23. Scott Wheeler

Maybe disney can open a new theme park....retro Disney

24. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I was just out at Disney California Adventure and tried the only really decent ride in the place. Soaring Over California which is kind of like the old 360 in that the camera angles give you the same feeling. It's supposed to be like hang gliding through parts of CA except much faster. You're seated and the seat raises into the air when the ride starts and it feels like you're actually moving. When you go low over the trees you raise your feet like it's really there. Too bad there's not much else in there except the Electrical Parade.

25. Scott Wheeler

Soaring over California si my favorite ride in the world. Finally a flight simulator that isn't designed to make you toss your cookies. Fresh air blowing in your face, a very comfortable seat with your feet dangling, different scents for each setting and smooth sailing. It is the closest thing to dream flying I have ever experienced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.