Watts, are watts, are watts? ('Tube watts' and 'solid state watts')

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I've seen this mentioned several times already, on these Forums and other places. What's all the talk of 'tube watts' and 'solid state watts' about? Shouldn't a watt 'mean' the same thing whether one's talking about a valve amp, a solid state amp or a pedal-powered amp? :confused:

Could anyone explain this to me in simple terms? Thanks!

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Tube amps generally clip more gracefully than solid-state amps.

3. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Not really ... I mean, my 55 watt Ampeg B-25B bass head (all tube) I use in my Rush tribute band blows away the newer Ampeg B-15R (all tube as well) that is rated at 60/100 watts (switchable). Granted the cab I use with the B-25B is a 2x15" so I'm moving more air than the 1x15" of the B-15R, but the type of tube, its capacitance, etc., all color the sound and affect things. I generally find with tube stuff you don't need to crank to get the same volume.

4. Damián

THAT's what I'm asking about. Why is that? Compression? :confused:

5. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nelson Pass likes to say:

The first watt from an audio amplifier is the most important watt, and amplifiers whose distortion declines with lower power tend to sound better.

All other things being equal, a simpler circuit sounds better. So does an amplifier with little or no feedback.

Class A operation results in higher quality than the other classes, and is well suited to simple low power amplifiers, partly because it has lower overall distortion and partly because the distortion is “monotonic” where the distortion decreases with level.

It's easier to build high quality into a small amplifier than a big one, and people with sensitive speakers do not require or even want high power.

Why Sensitive Full Range Loudspeakers?

Many people prefer the sound of loudspeakers with powerful magnets, tightly machined gaps, finely wound voice coils, light cone materials, and wide bandwidth.

These are the requirements of sensitive drivers whose output approaches 100 dB at 1 watt and are expected to reproduce the full audio range. At their best, they have a particular dynamic quality, high detail, and musical live-ness that is often lacking in more ordinary speakers.

This in contrast to mainstream loudspeaker products where amplifier muscle is used to compensate for inexpensive loudspeaker driver construction.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Heh - Nelson Pass designs transistor amps... He regularly contributes to DIY mags with amp construction articles and writes clearly enough for non-engineer types like me to pretty much get what he sez...

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My mind's a bit rusty (was lifting concrete all day :sigh: )...wasn't Nelson Pass the designer of Threshold's amps, or am I thinking of another company?

9. Damián

Thanks, StyxCollector. The article pretty much cleared things up for me (thanks everyone else, too!).

So if I got it right, it basically has to do with the 'listenability' of the distortion from one and the other- meaning tube clipping is more 'pleasant' (or less unpleasant), allowing one to turn things up further before fatigue and unpleasantness set in?

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes Rudy, That is Nelson. I've had Threshold's since the 70's.

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

That's the guy...

12. -=Rudy=-

Cool. I don't remember what the amps sounded like, but when I was regularly cruising the high-end shops on Woodward, they were the coolest looking amps. :D Always wanted one but never had the $$$ to pull it off.

13. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Heck - build yerself a Zen....

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had recently graduated form college and somehow fallen into a good but low paying job in pro audio. Audio was my life at that point in time, so I guess I had fairly warped priorities. I think my first Threshold was a 400A.

15. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Nakamichi used Nelson Pass's "Stasis" topology as the foundation for their PA series amplifiers made in the late 80's and early 90's. I own a couple of them and they sound pretty good. Stasis topology reduces "negative feedback".

Evan

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I also have a Pioneer SX-6 60 Watt receiver from the early 80's that used Nelson's 'synchro bias' which offered many benefits of class A circuitry without the usual high idle current. IIRC, he licensed this technology and a lot of Japaneese companies used it. I think Nakamichi was among the first to do so.

I guess history will put him up there with some of the great amp designers of the 20th century.

17. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

Steve, are you saying that speakers with a lower sensitivity are of an inherently inferior design compared to speakers having a high sensitivity?

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nelson Pass thinks so as I stated above.

I don't.

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

20. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

21. -=Rudy=-

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'll bet it runs hot!

23. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

Runs as hot as my class-A zero negative feedback BEZ T3B 300B SET amp! But what a sweet sounding first watt it has (with only seven more for headroom). My 98.5dB Klipsch Cornwalls don't mind cranking out 100dBs worth of distortion-free pipe organ music in my listening room...guess that first good watt is all that matters, eh? :righton:

Attached Files:

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

jt1stcav,

Lakeland eh? I've been through your area. I've been doing a call center in Ocala this year, and I've been there 8 times. I love horse country!

25. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

Well then, you'd like Lakeland...

Here's a pic of my back yard facing a horse pasture...it's really nice!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.