Weakest Link: Rush "Rush" Round Two

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

"Need Some Love" struck out, so we're down to 7.

Pick the ONE weakest link!

DISCUSSION: when did you last play "Rush" and how has your view of it changed over time?

SONGS FOR NOTHING:
    -Need Some Love

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Here Again...again.

I last played this album a few months ago. My opinion hasn't changed since the last time I spun it, but like I said in the last thread, I've come to appreciate this album more over the years.

3. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

This was my third Rush purchase back in '89 so the rock style wasn't a big shock and I was somehow accustomed to the fact that Rutsey was a simple style drummer. I still prefer his more straight ahead style on "In The Mood" for example and actually on "Working Man" too.
    Superb guitar and bass sounds (Geddy still playing the Precision that he only used sporadically for the next two albums)
    The B-side was always the stronger one on this, the A-side feels a bit of a let down after the great opening track.

"Here Again" gets the boot.

EDIT: I think I played it a few years ago in the car (I got the old Atomic Mercury cd about 30 years after I bought the vinyl...) and encouraged by this thread will do the same thing today!

4. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Before and After

i actually last played this album about 3 weeks ago or so. love this album and play it somewhat frequently.

DME1061 likes this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Take a Friend got my vote in the first round, so it will keep getting mine until it's gone. Not a bad song, just pretty average.

As someone who calls Rush his favorite band, the debut has never been one of my favorites. In fact, it is usually near the bottom for me when ranking their records. I like it, but I just like most of the others more. I can't remember the last time I turned it on to play from start to finish.

6. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

"In The Mood"

Played this a couple of months ago (with a group of other albums released in 1974). My view hasn't changed...still a great hard rock album, and very different from the rest of their catalogue.

7. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

Take A Friend gets it in the neck this time.
    I don’t hate it, it’s just the runt of the remaining litter for me.

I haven’t listened to Rush in quite a while tbh but I always enjoy it when I give it a spin, as I’m doing right now.
    I’ve always felt it’s a solid debut & a much better album than Hold Your Fire for example.

8. Oatsdad

Mid-AM bump!

9. tralfaz812

tralfaz812 Forum Resident

First Rush LP grabs you from the first notes of Finding My Way and rocks like a record should have back in 1974. The LP is a little up and down but it is solid for a debut. As the years passed, I liked Rush less than I did through the first 2 LPs and 2112. I never got into Caress of Steel. Don't get me wrong, Rush put out a lot of great stuff through the years, I just heard them too much on the radio. I chose Take A Friend for the weak link.

AussieMuso likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

DISCUSSION: listened to the album yesterday to be able to vote.

Only heard it once previously: when I got an early pressing CD and needed to make sure it lacked defects.

I'm not a Rush boy, so didn't click.

Admit I was surprised how "un-Rush" the album sounded, though. More Led Zep than what I expect from Rush!

11. MechanicalAnimal6

so if you're not a fan and don't even really know the album, why are you doing this game? :D:p:biglaugh:
    honestly asking as that seems odd. i wouldn't do one of these for something that i don't even know that well, lol

12. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

'Working Man' is a stone-cold classic. Their first .

laf848 and AussieMuso like this.
  13. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

Voted for Take a Friend
    Comes across as a bit of a generic rock song to me. Like a Bad Company deep album track or something.

14. AussieMuso

AussieMuso Forum Resident

Take a Friend has bolted out of the gates!

15. MechanicalAnimal6

16. AussieMuso

AussieMuso Forum Resident

Who's voting Finding My Way and Working Man? They're great songs!

laf848, daca and Murph like this.
  17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Here Again

18. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

I'll admit, while kind of liking it, I could see some listeners finding Working man a little tedious. 7+ minutes built around a Black Sabbath riff and a 4 minute OK (for Alex) guitar solo doesn't appeal to everyone. :hide:

echo/magic likes this.
  19. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

In the Mood

DQ: I played it yesterday in preparation for this thread. I still like it, even if I feel that many of their later albums are better. Rush was always a great group and only got better as time went on.

20. Oatsdad

Because I don't want the WLs to just be the Stuff Oatsdad and LandHorses Dig threads.

I want the WLs to cover a broader array of artists than simply the ones LH and I enjoy.

echo/magic, Flaevius and boboquisp like this.
  21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Take A Friend.

I listen to this album often, Masterdisk GK rocks! Alex's guitar work kicks ass and vintage Geddy OOOH YEAHS!
    Better than most mid 70s hard rock, and a great start for the band. Love it as much as ever.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Take A Friend - probably should have voted for this round 1.

23. Oatsdad

Not a close vote this round - thankfully! - but gonna bumpity!

24. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

I voted Before and After off. I can't recall when I last listened to the album; it's been a long time. A solid debut but they got better with their subsequent albums.

Ted

25. Python

Python Forum Resident

I last spun it in full last September, though "Need Some Love" (the track I voted for yesterday!), "Take A Friend" and "What You're Doing" have all come up since when I've listened to my full library on shuffle. Given where I currently am in my rotation (yes, I have a system ; ) it will likely get its next full spin in a month or so.

I still love it as much as I ever did...great riffs, great energy, great leads by Alex; yes, of course, it's more obviously Zep/Sabbath influenced musically than what was to come (and come soon!), but I love those bands too, so nothing wrong with that!

More importantly, the lyrics are relatively mundane (though not awful) compared to what was to come...and the drumming...because, of course, no Neil on this one. So while I certainly still consider it a Rush album, and a really good one at that, obviously Fly By Night is the first album from the real Rush we all (well, a lot of us!) know and love.