Weezer announces all-analog new studio album, OK Human (01/29/21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brendan K, Jan 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

https://twitter.com/Weezer/status/1352120251182436354?s=19

"During the summer of COVID-19 we grabbed our masks, hit the studio & began to chip away at what is now known as OK Human. An album that was made by a handful of humans using only analog technologies (including a 38 piece orchestra) for all of you humans to consume.

OK Human was made at a time when humans-playing-instruments was a thing of the past. All we could do is look back on ancient times when humans really mattered and when the dark tech-takeover fantasy didn’t exist.

We used our instruments to connect to the 1960’s and 1970’s and, with the orchestra, back to the 18th and 19th centuries. We had no click track or loops or hi-tech sounds. Not even an electric guitar.

OK Human arrives on January 29th, and is available for pre-order: OK Human Limited vinyl is available on Weezer Official Online Store | Weezer US https://t.co/dTwWnkiOMK"

Tracklist:

01. All My Favorite Songs
    02. Aloo Gobi
    03. Grapes Of Wrath
    04. Numbers
    05. Playing My Piano
    06. Mirror Image
    07. Screens
    08. Bird With A Broken Wing
    09. Dead Roses
    10. Everything Happens For A Reason
    11. Here Comes The Rain
    12. La Brea Tar Pits

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Will being analog make the material any better?!? :hide:

3. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Obviously duh! Anything analog is automatically better! It’s siense!

4. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

no electric guitar?

rednedtugent and finslaw like this.
  5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I meant their songwriting skills.

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So, who mastered it in analog?

7. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

All that analog equipment and Rivers still couldn't be bothered to write a song worth recording

Pawnmower, mattdm11, RomanZ and 5 others like this.
  8. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Wait did they release the metal album? Van weezer?

Curveboy likes this.
  9. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Ok computer parody?

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  10. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

It’s sad that this band has been so bad for nearly two decades

11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Oh! I'd rather listen to 64kbs mp3 file of Metal Machine Music than this.

klockwerk, ArpMoog, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  12. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

It's catchy. Was it written by Taylor Swift?

JRose, ghoulsurgery and Adam Bosman like this.
  13. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Obviously the process is irrelevant if the material isn’t up to scratch in the first place.
    Just to be clear, you did get I was being facetious? But if anyone didn’t... ahem... if it’s made out of analog it has soul, is warm, human and organic, but if if gets made out of digital in a computermatron-thingy it is as soulless as a battery farmed hypothermic robot!

14. Niall1984

Niall1984 Forum Resident

These guys really need to call it a day.

15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

FWIW, the version in the video is a radio remix. The mix on streaming services (album mix) is much better and cleaner.

The song itself feels like a bit of a radio single intro for the album. I still have high hopes for the rest.

16. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Can I suggest you listen to Everything Will Be Alright In The End and the White album?
    Both fantastic records.
    I agree the rest of their post Green stuff is mostly rubbish, but those two LPs are absolute gems.

17. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

18. miller_time22

miller_time22 Forum Resident

Shipping was expensive af, but I went ahead and preordered the cd. I think the new song is okay and am interested to hear the whole album. I do think Rivers’ batting average may not be as strong (and while using multiple co-writers). But I’ll always be inclined to hear what they do. And I agree that EWBAITE and the White album are exhibit A and B that they can still make quality albums.

19. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I like the new song and it is a nice concept, but seems a bit ridiculous to market the whole analog thing, but still record and release it digitally. If you want to look like you actually understand the concept of analog, then actually record the thing with analog technology, master it analog, and release only on LP and cassette. You can't say you have a new analog album then release it online - ridiculous!

Hep Alien, longdist01 and peskypesky like this.
  20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Not sure about the "metal album", but when I read about this new album, they mentioned that Van Weezer is still coming in May.

Curveboy and peskypesky like this.
  21. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Loved the song, loved the video. Looking forward to this.

Marty T, 24voltsdc, AndrewK and 5 others like this.
  22. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Joking aside, this new song does sound similar to Taylor Swift writing. The bridge rhyme in particular. I love T Swift, so it may be a bit of a reach.

Also want to be the first person to mention Pinkerton in this thread.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

My first thought as well.

24. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I bought OK Human in flesh colored vinyl from the band's site. Slime green was unfortunately sold out. With Priority Mail shipping being the only option, plus sales tax, the price went from $24 to $40. So it goes.

I've read the brutal comments in this thread from fans. Wowzah. What do you say about bands you don't like?

astro70, davenav, AndrewK and 2 others like this.
  25. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Their drummer said it best: “Basically, you have to hate Weezer to be a true fan.”

Weezer is a very hit or miss band. The first two albums are absolute classics. The material from 2000-2011 ranges from "Great" to "awful" often within the same album. 2014 and 2016's albums were also classics, and some of the most well received albums they've ever done (from both a critical and fan perspective). But then they were right back to schlock with the next two albums.

Early reviews are sounding good for this one, but time will tell. Pinkerton was trashed on its release only to become a "classic" later.

Rivers Cuomo released about 2500 demos over the past few months on his website. They show several things, but what sticks out is this:

1.) Dude is prolific.

2.) Dude is a master songwriter with a gift for melody that is almost unrivaled in the modern day

3.) Dude can't format an album to save his life. The best tracks are not only left off the album, they were almost unheard of until this demo release happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.