Welcome Linden Hudson of ZZ Top Fame!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Linden Odell Hudson, Oct 8, 2021.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Perhaps because of this he also did it in the video, or the other way round? (I don't know the chronology. Interestingly, they never played it after 1987. The only audio version I've found is the Monsters of Rock 1985 show. EDIT I found another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K-5hszRdPQ )

Oh, and Robert Palmer did an acoustic blues rendition of the song :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxpshWelXM

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  2. Berlin SO 36

Berlin SO 36 Forum Resident

Can't believe I've never seen that performance -- love it.

JulesRules likes this.
  3. Linden Odell Hudson

Linden Odell Hudson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't seen that either, it's nice. He did my favorite kind of lead (harmonics with pick edge). See, I can dig it too (sometimes).

kt66brooklyn and JulesRules like this.
  4. Linden Odell Hudson

I'd like to know more.

drift and 905 like this.
  5. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Hi Linden, I’ll PM you (you’ll see an alert at the top of the forum header) so we can discuss the n more detail.

6. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Sure!

GoodKitty likes this.
  7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 I'm a very magic tripper

I heard somewhere that ZZ Top were fans of OMD. I always thought it was a little odd but great because OMD really are good.
    Is this true?

marklamb, Zerox, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Linden Odell Hudson

Well, again, I haven't been around the boys in years. But OMD is good and therefore it's something Billy would pay attention to.

BluesOvertookMe, 905 and JulesRules like this.
  9. Linden Odell Hudson

Ive placed a link here if you wanna see the house that Eliminator was born in (Frank's house):
    GO HERE: Facebook

You can see the L shaped pool in the backyard that I spent my time in. You can see that my room was right next to the studio. By the label that says Studio it says unused, that means it was unused before we put a studio in it. A room that had nothing in it was the size of a 2 car garage.
    I had an old beat up car that sat in the driveway next to Frank & Deb's BMW.
    That is a recent photo of where Frank lived in early 80's (looks the same) , Eliminator released in 83.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 I'm a very magic tripper

Thanks for responding!

I found the quote on Wikipedia

Singer Billy Gibbons felt OMD "were great";[148] he purchased a copy of their eponymous debut album, which was played over the PA system at ZZ Top shows.[148][149] ZZ Top would go on to emulate OMD's use of synthesizers,[150][151] as well as McCluskey's jerky dancing style.[90][149]

Man at C&A and JulesRules like this.
  11. Anders Hedman

Anders Hedman Forum Resident

Someone who knows how to do it ought to update the credits on the album's Wikipedia page!

12. Linden Odell Hudson

Ive had almost 40 years to hear the good and bad feedback for my involvement. I respect all feedback. If you want to tell me more about your personal anger for this whole situation, please PM me, I'll gladly hear and try to comment about what you say. This far into the situation is a strange place to be for fans to hear some of this. It doesn't take away from Gibbons' genius, or what he wanted from a few of his friends. I'm easy to reach.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    frank3si and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

We appreciate you, Linden, and we are glad you are here.

14. JulesRules

What I still find curious is that although you say you were only involved in writing / demoing six of the songs, Eliminator has a very consistent sound and style... aside from "If I Could Only Flag Her Down", which sounds like it could've been on any previous ZZ Top album with a regular band arrangement and which I would accept as a band co-write.

So did Billy have any other co-writers or did he actually come up with "Gimme All Your Lovin'", "Sharp Dressed Man", "I Need You Tonight" and "Bad Girl" all on his own? Impressive if true, considering two are still radio and live staples. And were they written after you worked together or before?

Apologies if you can't answer this question, or if you answered it before.

15. Linden Odell Hudson

Im at the gym most of the day, so I can't attempt a large discussion at this moment, however, I'll follow up when I figure out how to answer some of this. But I will say the consistency for the project was establish early by some fresh realizations (about tempo and tempo style) and by using drum machines. These things in themselves would make for some consistency. And, as Ive said, I believe in my gut that there were unfinished tunes sitting in the Memphis vault. I say this because Ive worked in recording studios and most artists who work year to year on material and releases have a percentage of unfinished tracks (or finished) sitting in the studio vault just screaming for attention. There's pressure (under pressure) to start on the next album even before you finish one. Record companies put you "under pressure". Billy has had co-writers here and there, sometimes they don't understand what's going on at the time. Tom Vickers is an example. He's a writer, I think he co-wrote Billy's Book "Gearhead". During the time that Tom Vickers spent with Billy while working on the book Tom helped Billy write some songs for an album (in the 90s). Tom was surprised when he got no album credits for co-writing. This true story was told to me by a respected journalist that I cannot name. I havent' read the book Gearhead because Billy makes up too much fantasy in his stories, I don't need that. That is an example of people co-writing then getting surprised. I don't get it. But it happened to me too. I want to stay positive and tell the facts as I know them. Everyone has their own sense of ethics, Billy too. I'll try to talk more about it later if you remind me. I suspect that your main interest is to get information about the method of songwriter (actually "methods" of songwriting). Maybe I know a little about it, or maybe not, Also, Im 73 now and it's been 40 years since working on this thing, it's fairly clear, but not crystal clear. tata for now

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  16. Linden Odell Hudson

Just in the last few months a fellow from Orange county California talked with me (email) and he was re-writing the ZZ Top Eliminator Wikipedia page. After a couple of weeks he had researched (including me) and he's got a more accurate version of reality (at least the last time I looked).

17. JulesRules

The page really improved, I noticed that. I did have to fix the incorrect vocal credit to Dusty on "Bad Girl" though. Thankfully I could ask Terry Manning to be 100% sure that it's actually Billy singing. :)

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Did you notice the wink emoji? I was kidding, and I am not angry. I know it was not your decision to use a drum machine for this record. The record is what it is. I'm with Frank on this one though. I believe he would have made the record better if he got to play real drums on it.

painted8 and Whipping Guitar like this.
  19. Linden Odell Hudson

Cool. Thanks. There are a couple that had Frank on them that I posted (I got the six), with Frank and the Dust where you hear the guys.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Can you tell me which tracks?

21. Linden Odell Hudson

22. Linden Odell Hudson

Go here as well: Facebook

frank3si likes this.
  23. Linden Odell Hudson

In conclusion: (1) Eliminator was overwhelmingly a Billy Gibbons solo album (2) Billy is a great guitarist (3) There are hidden figures who only wanted fair treatment (4) Some of the hidden figures were on the ZZ payroll and they got paid and were in a non-disclosure position (5) Some of the hidden figures were being used (6) You don't have to be a guitar monster to be in a position to contribute to Billy's work (7) Be fair to the helpers, or it will come back to you

DougB217, dlokazip, bigtail and 11 others like this.
  24. Berlin SO 36

Berlin SO 36 Forum Resident

BluesOvertookMe and GoodKitty like this.
  25. Linden Odell Hudson

bigtail and BluesOvertookMe like this.