Well, nobody else has done it - movies about plagues, end times..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

This is a TV series rather than a movie... "Millennium", starring Lance Henriksen.

vince and Karnak like this.
  2. I dimly recalled that a foreign film was made from Albert Camus' novel The Plague. [Fr.. La Peste]

I was right. Came out in 1992, released only on video in the US.

The reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes were underwhelmed The Plague (La Peste) (1992)

John B Good likes this.
  3. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Agreed. But this streamer isn't bad.

Juan Matus and John B Good like this.
  4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The Road book was so terrifying that I couldn’t watch the movie.

That's Mr. Foghat and Karnak like this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

6. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Oldie but goodie... The Omega Man

[​IMG]
    The Internet Archive has a great streamer.

7. Masque of the Red Death

John B Good and Karnak like this.
  8. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

OT, because it's not a movie but just started watching the show "24" recently and am now on season 3 and the big threat is a virus. Apropos to be watching this now.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Why don't you try reading a thread before posting, ando?

That way you avoid stepping on others' toes by duplicating their posts -- like mine on page two.

After all, there can only be one Omega Man!

vconsumer likes this.
  10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Really?

How bout lightening up, dude?

It's a movie post which, btw, has a link to a streaming version which your post does not have. I thought the point was to share info and have a little fun, not compete for attention. Sorry I bothered. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Pizza, unclefred and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I thought of that, but hadn't known it was made into a movie. Read the book a long time ago, but don't remember much of the story.

12. I read The Stranger once, as required reading. Not a big Camus fan.

I think all of the Existentialists blow chunks, really. Based on my limited exposure. I avoid them like I avoid covid-19. But they still have enough of a fan club amongst the "intelligentsia" that it's difficult to avoid them entirely. This is almost entirely a function of status entitlement, of course. And one of those luxuries I hope I would not indulge even if I could afford it.

I don't think anyone can afford hardcore Existentialism, truth to tell. It's like pessimism squared. But most of the fan club just plays at it. It makes for an easy answer to everything. At least conceptually. In practice, it's no answer at all. But the fan club can afford not to practice. They're only in it for the veil of gravitas that they imagine it supplies. It's too bad the fan club is so numerous, which is how books like The Stranger get to be "required reading." (Needless to say, my take is not popular with that particular In Crowd. Which is ironic, given their exaltation of the Iconoclastic as a key precept. I sometimes feel like an infiltrator when I mingle with them.)

The French rationalists in general have some of the worst predictive track records out there when it comes to interpreting politics and society. And even when they're right- typically about something obvious- they're dismal. Anyone can be brilliantly negative. It isn't responsive.

The French irrationalists, on the other hand...they have it down. Why do so many supposed intellectuals find Sartre to be a wiser philosopher than Alfred Jarry?

< Panama goin off this morning

overcoat your watch, Mascot.

13. John B Good

The Rebel by Camus was a hard read, and I eventually shed it from my library.

Not sure who the Irrationalists are but I enjoyed reading The Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France last year.

14. The French Surrealists and Dadaists, the better part of the Situationists. Alfred Jarry, Marcel Duchamp, Andre Breton, Eric Satie. Guy Debord.

When I look for tough love from philosophers I read the Stoics. And Carlos Castaneda, who is presently widely disdained as a fraud and a lightweight despite the lucid distillation of some (imo) invaluable philosophical concepts in his fiction writing. Castaneda was part fraud, I suppose. But not a lightweight. His tall tales are worth the ride.

The closest I get to getting anything out of Existentialism is digging on Waiting For Godot. Because Beckett keeps a sense of humor intact in the work.

But the Surrealists and Dadaists are simply more fun. 'Pataphysics - Wikipedia

John B Good likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You can add "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" to the list too, if for no other reason than it was a plague that wiped out the dogs and cats of the world, starting the domestication of small primates (i.e. monkeys) working on up to the great apes.

altaeria likes this.
  16. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Maybe because Sartre said, "Hell is other people." I find that particularly apt at this time, although perhaps pestilence is other people would be more accurate.

rikki nadir and John B Good like this.
  17. John B Good

Another one of the Sartrean pharses that has stuck with me is "Nothingness lies coiled at the heart of being, like worm." Pretty good expression of the mystery at the heart of our existence.

18. John B Good

I was a big fan of Greil Marcus' book LIPSTICK TRACES, but Pythonism is the closest I got to Surrealism. It did occur to me irrationalism might have included Celine. I'm presently awaiting a copy of Houellebeq's SUBMISSION.

19. I've only heard of both of those guys. I've heard enough praise for Celine from various quarters- including from people who aren't particularly fond of his views on a lot of subjects- that I hope to get around to read something by him eventually.

I'm a big fan of the old weird America that Marcus wrote about in Lipstick Traces. Of course, it doesn't exist any more, or so I've been told.

20. Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  21. That isn't just an expression. It's a Credo. And there's no mystery to it, because Sartre is providing the statement as an explanation. Like, so much for the mystery.

Like I said, I'm not a fan. But I understand that such matters are personal decisions.

22. this may be the last vestige left, maybe.

The Wild West, on Skis

23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I really like the Omega Man, just like @ando here
    It has Heston as well. Who knew?

[​IMG]

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. John B Good

Different theme, but I think HIGH ANXIETY might be suitable for some comic relief.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've seen Outbreak several times in the past, and think it's a very good movie... but I imagine it would make for much scarier viewing right now than it ever did before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.