Wey Wey Hep a Hole Ding Dong: Robyn Hitchcock the song by song, album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 15, 2020.

1. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

I've got a special affection for the Venus 3 period, as that's where I first latched on to Robyn. I played this whole album to death when it came out. Adventure Rocket Ship isn't my favourite track on it, but it's very good indeed. In this chronological listen, it seems better than ever, with all the energy that was lackong in the last few albums. And there's even better yet to come! 4.3/5

2. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

Oh, and I missed the discussion on it, but I just wanted to add a late vote of confidence for Full Moon In My Soul. I'm not even really sure why I love it so much, but it really resonates with me. 5/5 for that one :)

3. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Nice opener on a great record. Not nearly as good as some of the songs on this record, but its a good song. It gets a solid 4.

Lance LaSalle and brownie61 like this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Adventure Rocket Ship"

1-0
    2-0
    3-1
    4-6
    5-1
    Average: 4.0125

5. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Undeground Sun", written by Robyn Hitchcock; recorded by Kurt Bloch, overdubbed by Jessica Corcoran and Charlie Francis; mixed by Charlie Francis.

LYRIC.

Robyn HItchcock: vocals, guitars
    Kimberly Rew: guitar
    Peter Buck guitar
    Scott McCaughey: bass
    Bill Rieflin: drums, percussion
    Chris Ballew, Morris Windsor, and Sean Nelson: backing vocals

Live versions of "Undeground Sun" have been released on:
    • Ole Tarantula Exclusive Bonus Tracks bonus CD EP, recorded in 2006, which came to those who pre-ordered the album
    • Sex Food Death...And Insects DVD, recored and released in 2006

6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Underground Sun

This song has a killer guitar hook! It keeps me hooked for the entire song! And the harmonies in the chorus are wonderful. Robyn’s lead vocal seems to have some kind of processing on it, but it sounds really good.

The lyrics aren’t up to much (for a Robyn song), but this one sounds so great that who cares?

4.5/5

bzfgt, chrism1971 and TerpStation like this.
  7. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

A brilliant track with everyone on top form especially Bill Rieflin and the backing vocalists. This has an irresistible groove and the REM influence is writ large all over it (although the intro always reminds me of The Headmaster Ritual by The Smiths). I recall an absolutely storming version of this song being one of the highlights of a superb gig at The Scala in Kings Cross at the time.

Underground Sun 4.5/5.

8. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I think Kimberley adds something special where he plays on this album, and this track is certainly up on 'Adventure'. Great middle section as well, rather different lyrics for RH, more sort of purist. 4/5

I had a flip through the CD booklet and noticed that the pic of the smiling quartet in front of Stonehenge was taken by 'Julian of Wessex' (not Julian of Norwich!), presumably Mr Cope who lives (or lived) somewhere round north Wiltshire, perhaps nearer Avebury than Stonehenge (Avebury being the more elegant of the neolithic stone circles). I was once eating at the Pizza Express in Swindon (nearby) and he was on the next table, very long dreadlocks and having an argument with someone.... unimportant.

TerpStation, bzfgt, MattR and 2 others like this.
  9. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Underground Sun - 5/5 - This is my favorite song on the album. Really nice and very Soft Boys, in it's way.

10. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

Underground Sun isn't my favorite on the album but it's still a great track. 4/5

I realized today that I didn't score Adventure Rocket Ship yesterday, 4.5/5 for that one.

11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Underground Sun is a fantastic track, 4.5/5

AlienRendel and TerpStation like this.
  12. TerpStation

I will go with a 4.2 . Its a great track, love it.

AlienRendel, Lance LaSalle and bzfgt like this.
  13. TerpStation

Wasn't Spooked a Yep Roc release?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  14. Lance LaSalle

I guess it was.

TerpStation likes this.
  15. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I hate it when artists release non-physical tracks that then disappear forever after a short time. Fortunately, this song is also available on the Japanese CD of the album, along with an alternative version of the title track (which I don't think was released anywhere else).

16. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Underground Sun -- 5/5. Possibly my favorite song on the album. Fantastic live, too. It was clear it was a favorite of Peter Buck live, too, based on how he jumped around on stage during it.

(I missed Adventure Rocket Ship -- but I would have given it a 5, too!)

17. Lance LaSalle

More incredible band energy and the vocals and Kimberly add to the overall sound without making it sound busy at all. The band track sounds almost recorded live in the studio, which it probably was. There is some late period R.E.M. in the backing track, for sure, (though I like this better than that); at the same time, the vocals (and not to forget Robyn) give this all a rather Soft Boys/Egyptians feel that I respond to.

I almost feel that, again, the song is just OK, but the harmonies and overall energy make it into something really special.

4.3/5.

bzfgt and brownie61 like this.
  18. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Underground Sun"

1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-4
    5-5
    Average: 4.4444

bzfgt likes this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Museum of Sex", written by Robyn Hitchcock; recorded by Kurt Bloch; overdubbed by Jessica Corcoran and Charlie Francis; mixed by Charlie Francis.

Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 – Museum of Sex Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Robyn Hitchcock: vocal, guitar
    Peter Buck: guitar
    Kimberly Rew: guitar
    Colin Izod: saxophones
    Scott McCaughey: bass, vocals
    Bill Rieflin: drums and percussion
    Chris Ballew, Morris Windsor, Sean Nelson: harmonies

20. chrism1971

Actually Embryo Twirl was on a 3-track CD released by Yep Roc in 2006. My copy (and I can't remember where I got it) doesn't have any Japanese ID on it and has live versions of Briggs and Underground Sun. I keep it tucked inside my Ole T.

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Museum of Sex

This song has a good groove and makes tasteful use of the saxophone, an instrument which has a tendency to be used annoyingly in Robyn’s recordings. Lyrically, I have no idea what he’s trying to get across.

Interestingly, I had no idea until 5 minutes ago that there is a Museum of Sex in NYC. Not sure if there is another one somewhere in a town called Seaford?

3.5/5

22. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

The weakest of the three opening tracks in my opinion but still a decent one. As Brownie says, the sax isn't too intrusive and and the song has a nice loose feel.

Seaford is a seaside town in East Sussex in southern England. According to Wikipedia RH spent time there, hence the reference. It doesn't have a Museum Of Sex as far as I know. There's probably one in Amsterdam.

"Music is the antidote to the world of pain and sorrow". Amen to that.

Museum Of Sex 3/5.

23. TerpStation

Museum of Sex, --its a great song...its a 4.2, i like it just as much as either of the first two.

24. chrism1971

Amsterdam certainly has a Museum of Torture, which I visited with a friend one rainy day a few years ago. There's a limit to the number of Iron maidens you can look at. Similarly I imagine my tolerance for waterbeds whips and dildos has an endpoint (though apparently there's a lot of 8mm cine film). Not crazy about this one. 2.5/5

There's a Seaford in NY state too:
    [​IMG]

bzfgt, TerpStation and brownie61 like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The verses remind me a little of the Yip Song. This is a decent track, 3/5

brownie61 likes this.