Wey Wey Hep a Hole Ding Dong: Robyn Hitchcock the song by song, album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 15, 2020.

1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Ah, gonna have to re-open the thread @Lance LaSalle !!

bzfgt likes this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Yep. :)

zobalob, brownie61 and AlienRendel like this.
  3. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

This is odd. Last night on my Panasonic smart TV I went on the RHweb YouTube channel and found a video for Shuffleman, posted a few days ago. Great l ittle tune, in the genre of all the other 'men' songs (who Invented Himself, Lightbulb, Balloon etc), so hoping the album is in the same light and rocky vein and a little less self-absorbed than of late. However this morning here on my PC it's vanished...

4. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

5. Lance LaSalle

Sweet. Since this is coming out on the album in October, I'll just wait until a couple of weeks after the album to hold it up for rating. Thanks for the link!

I hadn't been aware that there was any release!

The YouTube page says "pre-order here:"...but doesn't say where. Anybody know?

6. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Great rocking tune. I have high hopes that he's able to follow up "Robyn Hitchcock" with something as strong as that album is.

zobalob, brownie61, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That would be amazing, but that seems unlikely....that one was rated highest of all his albums when we went through them track by track, recall....

AlienRendel and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

A man can dream! :)

Lance LaSalle and bzfgt like this.
  9. Lance LaSalle

I think we can hope it will be at least good!

chrism1971, bzfgt and AlienRendel like this.
  10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Haha! This is great! Love the kitties in the video! It scares me that I went to a cat show over the weekend with my RH fan friend, and we kept referring to Tubby and Ringo when talking about several cats being shown. :laugh:

chrism1971, zobalob and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

A pleasingly uptempo if rather unspectacular song but it suggests the album will be of the plugged-in variety which is a good thing. The video's awful and if the image at 1:44 is the actual cover, that's an absolute shocker too. I wonder why he has hasn't shared this with his Twitter followers.

12. Lance LaSalle

Pre-order link is up at band camp:

Shufflemania!, by Robyn Hitchcock

Physical copies will ship in September, while the digital apparently won’t be available until October. These are confusing times.

13. Lance LaSalle

I see Robin is definitely continuing on his late trend of having really really cheap looking, terrible album covers!

14. AlienRendel

He sure loves that cat!

brownie61 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

This one's got all the cliches. Cats, double decker buses -- which are green, I point out -- himself in a ridiculously loud shirt and sun glasses. It is perhaps the most Robyn Hitchcock cover ever. I prefer the nice looking ones, though.

AlienRendel, MEMark and brownie61 like this.
  16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

There are two cats. Tubby only has one eye. Ringo has two eyes.

Yes, I know it is sad that I know this, but I am a cat lover.

17. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

You're leaving out Perry! (Seems like RH did on the cover, too!)

18. AlienRendel

A friend of mine used to work at a local venue and was able to book Robyn there. On the night of the show, they went out to dinner and talked about their cats at which point they became text friends who would just send each other pictures of their cats. This went on for a couple of years.

19. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Saw his recent video on the facebook advertising the new record on blue vinyl.....really sad to see him using a $69 cartridge....come on robyn, step up your vinyl game so you can at least hear the record you are selling!

ROBYN HITCHCOCK ONLINE STORE

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  20. I haven’t’ found him to be self absorbed at all.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  21. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Thanks for posting all of the results on the last few pages. I wish I would have remembered to follow this thread! I joined in on Underwater Moonlight, but failed to keep up. This ranking seems a bit crazy! I'm shocked that the self titled is number one and Ole! Tarantula is much higher than I would have guessed. I would place 6,7,8,9 in my top five. You all made me just order the self titled LP. I liked a few songs, but wasn't overly impressed with the entire album when it was released. I need to re-visit some of his albums and read through this thread. I'll try to follow the along on the new album. I'm mixed on the lead single, and I think the album cover is terrible, but I'm hoping it's better than I expect!

brownie61 and sharedon like this.
  22. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I ordered the self titled album. Thought I was getting a great deal. $19 including tax and shipping. It was from a seller on Amazon. I just got a cancel notice that said it was mis-listed as vinyl and out of stock. Bummer. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it in the local shops.

23. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

I must be the only person who just "get" I often Dream of Trains.

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Wha?

25. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

I find it uninteresting. Dull