Wham! Netflix Documentary Gets First Trailer: Watch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FaithMonkey, Jun 17, 2023.

1. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident Thread Starter

The new movie charts George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley’s journey from school-friends to international pop stars. It arrives in Netflix on July 5, preceded by screenings in some UK theaters the week before.

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Looks like it will be fun.

ARK, theMess and Kelby A. Thomas like this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Based on the trailer it looks like any interviews with George and Andrew after they split are kept off camera which I think is a good idea as it maintains the illusion that they were both interviewed for this film under the same conditions.

Look forward to watching it.

stefjnl, BeatlesBop and Ryan Lux like this.
  4. This could be really good if it gets behind the scenes into their background and working relationship. Looks like it might.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  5. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

just started watching it

this is great stuff if you like/love wham/GM

6. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I watched it earlier today as well. Really good stuff. The off screen narration by George and Andrew worked brilliantly as well. I'll definitely re-watch this soon.

ARK, Ryan Lux, warewolf95 and 7 others like this.
  7. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Watched this today and really enjoyed it. Captures the moment and moves along at a brisk pace. One thing I didn't know was that they had Careless Whisper right from the start of the group, but held off recording until they knew they could get it perfect. Smart move that paid off bigtime. Highly recommend this for anyone with any interest in Wham or 80s pop.

8. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Ah damn, I'll have to watch this. Really curious to know how much Andrew really contributed musically.... I've heard varying reports.
    At some point I heard the "early" Careless Whisper.... Not sure when it was recorded, but they were smart to go back and recut it top-to-bottom.

I just recently caught the Freedom Uncut documentary, so I'm on a bit of a GM kick anyway. Gotta pull out the old vinyl of Faith and LWP!

9. Ken BArlow

Ken BArlow Forum Resident

I really enjoyed it. They come across as such great friends and Andrew just genuinely wanted George to achieve greatness.

I'm curious what the origins of George's narration are as Andrew clearly recorded most of his recently.

10. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Electric, Spot778 and C6H12O6 like this.
  11. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Looks very interesting but I don't want to support Netflix

12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Is it really somehow more “evil” than any other multinational I’m sure you do support? Is Rupert Murdoch calling it this week’s Boogeyman?

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't like that kind of exclusivity. Will this come on Blu-ray sometime?

14. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Yes, I wondered the same thing. I imagine his commentary was plucked from various interviews over the years? Regardless, it was great to hear George speak so fondly of his Wham! days (apart from one particular song!) because he was a bit disparaging about the songs once he went solo.

I absolutely loved the doco. It really captured the spirit of the times, as well as being a touching story of a friendship. The archival footage was amazing and the songs really shone.

15. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

new doc has AMAZING archival footage , if you love wham this is essential

90 minutes flew like a breeze , just great work made with obvious love/respect for them

16. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I didn't name any of my personal reasons and I will not discuss it.

HalHamburgers, Booyaa73 and hi_watt like this.
  17. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

It's already available to watch if you've got a computer and are creative enough. Don't support a platform you're not fond of, I wouldn't either.

18. What if you don’t like them but think their story could be interesting if handled right?

19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Yes, it could've easily been longer. Andrew presents himself as the most supportive friend in history! While I believe that was mostly true, they could've spent a little more time on his difficulty with the world leaving him behind. I thought the doc did a great job at balancing their perspectives. GM could be a little insufferable in interviews but he was brutally honest, and Andrew seems to be completely lacking pretention. I didn't understand why they had to stop writing together completely when a collab led to their greatest song. Also, did Andrew play at all on stage and record?

20. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I'm about halfway through at the moment and it's been really enjoyable. I remember at the time I was a teenage boy so I really wasn't keen on Wham! but I've grown up since then and recognise how special they were. It's sad seeing them going from the goofy teens to the serious adults though. At the time Ridgley was considered a joke but he's come out of all that madness in a great place in life and was no doubt an amazing support for 'Yog'. Without Andrew there's be no Wham! and probably no George Michael. I certainly respect Andrew a ton now.

Time to finish it now. It's been a treat.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What song?

22. Ken BArlow

Bad Boys

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

They both hate it!

24. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Senior Member

Yes, George’s commentary is pulled from recorded interviews he gave over the years.

pwhytey likes this.
  25. Ken BArlow

If George's dialogue wasn't gathered from one, maybe two interviews, then the sound designers did a fantastic job making it seem that way. Same for Andrew.

It really helped with the relaxed tone.

I've seen plenty of other documentaries (Oasis for example) where it's obvious that hundreds of sound bites were edited together to form a narrative.