Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

It's worth the try... I am tempted to set mine up on the floor, tilted toward me in a 6ft equilateral triangle to see how that sounds... some day.

2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Putting aesthetics aside, I guess the question is, is it a problem to have a speaker tilted upwards like that when the top tweeter is approx 38 inches off the ground?

3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I still have a pair of 5B's ...near & dear. I see nice ones all the time @ $100 and less...what a deal!

psulioninks likes this.
  4. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

I wouldn't do it but it's your taste - your money. I saw the combo from close when I auditioned the speakers and I think the stands are the star of the combo. If I had similar sized speakers I would have bought just the stands. I even thought of buying them to put my turntable and phono stage but the stand is not wide enough.

Completely wrong for the speaker to be tilted upwards in a non short stand.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

I just got the Lintons with the stands. Have to agree with everyone else...the stands are very nice (as are the speakers).

mreeter and Rick58 like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Agree the Lintons are nice but if you don't want retro looks and prefer floorstanders the Evo 4.4 is a better all round speaker. It's only £100 more than Linton+ stands in the UK. Can't agree with comments suggesting the Evo 4.4 is not so good with rock. Performs well with all types of music. Both speakers deserve to be used with a far more expensive amplifier though sound nice with the Audiolab 6000 if budget is restricted.

7. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I guess my reasoning went as follows:
    1. Wharfedale voiced the Linton with the Linton Stand.
    2. Wharfedale could have made the stand any height, but chose this height, knowing where the drivers were.
    3. Wharfedale could have angled the stand, but chose not to.
    Obviously, other factors like price/performance come into play. It's possible an angled stand could have been better, but too costly to produce. It's possible they just made the stand the way it is because they liked how it looked, sonics be damned. I'm choosing to trust the designer is what it comes down to.

Reesdog, Rick58, ChrisR2060 and 3 others like this.
  8. lechique

lechique New Member

Thank you! That sounds like my case: same loudspeakers (B&W 706S2) changed due to musical needs. I need to check EVO definitely. The problem is that I bought Lintons a week ago :) Still they're breaking in but I am able to draw first conclusions.
    First and foremost - Lintons really shine for acoustic and jazz music. The sound of acoustic guitar is so juicy and real. I'm really impressed. Vocals are also amazing. When playing jazz I'm immediately transferred to venue where music was recorded.

When it comes to faster music (hard rock, metal) I really like that sound is so huge. Unfortunately I am not impressed with clarity and separation. Especially when there is a lot happening on drums - I have impression like the sound is not able to get out of big boxes. The snare and bass drums sound recessed. I miss the attack and timbre. Similar with cymbals that sound compressed.

Interestingly on some recording I had impression that Lintons are adding a lot of vintage vibe which is not present at all on the other.

Don't get me wrong, Lintons are very good speakers. Musicality is excellent and you want to listen and play louder :). I spend a lot of time and there was no single moment I felt tired with music. With B&W 706S2 after half hour playing metal I had enough:)
    In the end I have mixed feeling. Half of my musical needs are completely satisfied but the other half is lacking.

bever70 likes this.
  9. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

ANd the designer was Peter Comeau.
    Peter Comeau: Wharfedale Speaker Designer - Audio Emporium
    It is a really musically fine speaker on really fine stands.
    But my theory is that he picks the stand dimensions based on the notion that you will eventually graduate to something like the Stirling Broadcast 3/6 or the Spendor Classic 1/2.

10. MayoStudenT

MayoStudenT Leonard Cohen Fan

Hello, does anyone know the thread size of the feet on the Linton stands? I am thinking of changing mine out but wasn’t sure which size to order. Thanks!!!

Jason

11. audioholic63

audioholic63 Well-Known Member

I know this is a Linton thread but as there seem to be a lot of people here with firsthand Denton 80 and 85 experience I was hoping someone could provide a useful comparison between them.

I am wanting to buy them as an upgrade to my office system so this is a near field desktop setup forming a roughly 36" triangle and about 11" from the wall. The room is 11'x14' with 8' ceiling and carpeted. Amplification is an Adcom 535 II (60w/8 ohm, 100w/4 ohm). Right now I am running a 20 year old pair of Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 high passed at 70Hz with an Outlaw Audio M8 sub. I recently swapped them in for a set of Sony SS-CS5 that I had been using for the past two years. Essentially they have exchanged roles between desktop and HT surrounds.

My primary system is Eminent-Tech LFT8b in a fairly large room driven by Cary SLM-100 amps. This is not any type of replacement for that.

Most of my desktop listening is moderately low volume. Genres are dominated by chamber music, small jazz, a lot of acoustic music, but some blues/prog/reggae and lots of Zappa (which is it's own genre).

My concern between the Denton 80 and the 85 is not based on cost or LF. I don't think the 80 will lack for bass nor do I think the 85 will overwhelm at these levels. It remains to be seen if a sub is still necessary for either.

Swapping in the 7.2's has really been a revelation of listenablity. There was nothing wrong with the Sony's but overnight I find myself just enjoying the music so much more as I spend my days chained to the desk (remote IT work). I want more of what I got and I have a good feeling the Denton may provide that but which one?

I just haven't found many really useful reviews of the 85's but there are endlessly long threads about the 80's. I would be very curious to hear a first hand pov on how they really differ in terms of mid-range and HF presentation. I am feeling from reading this Linton thread that the 80's may be more the predecessor to the Linton voicing and the Denton 85 is something else of its own.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  12. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

Dentons just like Lintons cover low frequencies well, maybe you won't need a sub. Apart from classical music I don't miss a sub in my Dentons 80. Having heard Lintons I can confirm they are voiced very simmilar to Dentons 80. Lintons have more open, bigger sound, more dynamic, maybe less smooth. Haven't heard 85th but I've read some reviews about them being a bit aggressive with high frequencies. I would say 80th are more balanced speakers and they also look nicer. I can imagine using them as a near field monitors. They will probably surprise you with huge soundstage.

ChrisR2060 and audioholic63 like this.
  13. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

The Denton 80th should work marvelously in a near field setting as you described. Sub will likely be entirely optional unless you are a real bass aficionado. I had mine in a much larger room with a sub but they worked well without it too. Everything they say about them is largely true.

Lintons are livelier than the 80th Dentons and with the scale and dynamics you’d expect from a larger 3 way. They do share listenability and I never got to the point where I tired of them.

Never heard the Denton 85th sorry!

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  14. audioholic63

audioholic63 Well-Known Member

I realized just now what it is that bugs me about the 85 as compared to the 80. It's the baffle. I wonder why they didn't do the 85 in a wood finish? I think the 80 with the grills off is so damn appealing. The aesthetic is the thing that first drew me to them.

Which raises the question, is the baffle on the 80 the same veneer as the rest of the cabinet or is it vinyl?

15. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

The baffle veneer is the same as the rest.
    The 85 and the Linton share the same tweeter, so I suspect the 85 is a bit more dynamic/brighter than the 80.

16. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

From what I understand, these speakers are supposed to be on the warm side tonally. I'm looking for a new amp and have been looking at the Cambridge Audio CXA81 (a really fun Swiss army knife) or the Yamaha A-S1200/A-S2200 (a beautiful, hand-crafted Japanese chef knife). Apples and oranges, I know.

Unfortunately, there's no opportunity for me to listen to these pairings in real life. The Cambridge Audio CXA81 is supposed to be engaging and with a top end that's quite forward. I thought the Yamaha's were supposed to be neutral sounding, but I read here at SH.tv that some people thought it was bright?

Would the Yamaha's make a good pair with the Wharfedale Linton's or would it sound too relaxed in the upper registers? I'm not a fan of bright sounding systems, but don't want the details to disappear either...

Thanks in advance!

Rick58 likes this.
  17. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

From my experience the A-S1100 (1200 is essentially the same sound) sound great with every speaker I have thrown at it, but that is limited to bookshelf speakers which include the Ascend Sierra 2EX, Buchardt 400s, Kef R3, Pioneer SP-BS41, and Dynaudio Evoke 10s. It had great detail with every single pairing and none were too bright, although the Kefs came close on some recordings.

happysunshine likes this.
  18. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

How did you like the Dynaudio Evokes? Not much talk here, but reviews have been stellar. I'm a bit of a Dynaudio fanboi but not overly so.

19. Vibrolux_Reverb

I liked them a lot. When I was buying new bookshelf speakers a couple months ago I auditioned them against the Ascends, Buchardts, and Kefs mentioned in my post. I was impressed by every speaker except for the Kefs and it really came down to preference between the Dynaudio and Buchardts. The Dynaudio had better detail and Buchardts had better bass extension and soundstage. The Dynaudio played well with any kind of music I threw at it, while the Buchardt excelled in some genres, but didn't in others. I ultimately went with the Ascend Sierra 2EX because it excelled at everything I threw at it and did what the other speakers did as well or better. The Evokes are very good though. If it weren't for the Sierra 2EX I would have likely chosen them due to their flexibility with other genres. Only the Kefs were a little too bright to me (not overly so, but still not to my tatse) and were the only ones that actually felt fatiguing just a little bit after about an hour.

The Sierra 2EX are amazing though. They really are all that imo, because they do absolutely everything so freaking well. I can't find a single fault with them for the price point, with one minor exception, which is that they can amplify sibilance a little bit on recordings that already have that issue. I have very very few albums where this is an issue though.

20. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I wonder if the Dynaudio's 7" woofer in their 20 series makes a significant impact over the 5.25" versions. I have the Excite14, and sometimes wish I had the Excite18 for the bigger woofer. Dynaudios seem to really like power too, so my next amp will be in the beefier end of things, and not likely a tube amp. Aren't the Buchardts a spinoff of Dynaudio employees? I would imagine they are only going to get better with time.

21. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Personally I wouldn’t match Lintons with an amp having a forward top end. That might work well for Denton 80 but the Linton is more extended and lively than the Denton 80. It might be too much. Other than my Rega amp I’ve only heard the Linton with the Audiolab amp. That was a fine match as well and they are often used together in demos. I’d aim for a neutral amp.

happysunshine and ChrisR2060 like this.
  22. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

It's been many, many years since I've listened to a Yamaha amp, but aren't these known for being very neutral? Some might even say they sound a tad boring and lifeless. NB: These are not my words but comments I've read on forums! Perhaps I should head on over to the Yamaha thread and check what they think about Yamaha's being "boring"... :)

23. Vibrolux_Reverb

Maybe for some models, but for the A-S 1100 and better (basically any of the models with VU meters) this couldn't be farther from the truth. They are stunning. They present a deep bass presence, exceptional detail without being fatiguing, and create a wide soundstage with a VERY lively sound. I literally think they may be the best amps that can be had for under $1800 ( if you look around and are patient for demo or floor models). There is a reason you never see used ones for sale.

happysunshine and Joshua Tree like this.
  24. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

My A-S1100 works swell with the Lintons.

Rick58, John Murray and happysunshine like this.
  25. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I am thinking about putting a Creek Evolution A-100 behind my Lintons. THat would replace the marantz pm-8004, which I find a bit too warm for the Lintons (and the Dentons).
    Any one here with Creek integrated?