Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Bieske

Bieske Forum Resident

A reason why you got the 2000 pro over two 1000's?

2. RoscoeNYC

RoscoeNYC Active Member

Hello Folks,
    new here.
    First let me say thanks to you all as your forum was very helpful in gathering info to select my new home rig.

I recently purchased a pair of Warfedale Lintons with stands and a Leak 130 Stereo amp from Music Direct.
    I just got them set up on friday and I do understand there is a break in period for both the speakers and the amp.
    I've got the speakers hooked up with Audiquest CV-8 cables and I am really enjoying my new rig.

I have the speakers on the stands and the front of the speakers are 24 inches from the wall behind them.
    I can't really move them further away from the wall and into my room.

My question for you guys is has anyone used a Bass Port Plug or two with these speakers to tame the low end?
    I have pulled the bass down just a tad with the tone control on the amp but I was wondering if anyone had used any port plugs with these speakers.

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find it using the forum search.

Thanks in advance.

Rick58 likes this.
  3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow I bet that combo sounds really good. I don't know really, but possibly some room treatment (if it's at all allowed)? I couldn't do it in the last nice room I had, so used a KRK ERGO to decent effect, it's a 'room correction' device. I don't think that can work for the 130 tho, I see a pre out but no power amp in (or 'tape loop').

HEY, I bet plugging the ports would certainly do SOMETHING ... possibly like this:

[​IMG]

I based this on measurements from Stereophile for the Linton and the KEF Q350, for which he DID plug the ports ... I wish he would have for the Lintons, esp since he and the reviewer mentioned the bass response.

(PS: he did say (as usual for his measurements) that "The rise in response in the upper bass is due in part to the nearfield measurement technique. However, this graph does suggest that the port tuning is somewhat underdamped." Not sure why he says 'underdamped' as the complex sum looks very similar to the Q350 response ...)

SO IF I'm close to correct, looks like the bass would be attenuated by about 10dB by 40Hz (port tuning frequency) which is significant ("half as loud" possibly). This is the same amount seen in the Q350 measurements, BTW. A bonus if it follows 'typical' port un/plugged response, is that the low end is actually enhanced below ~30Hz a bit ... which MAY be an additional problem, esp if you have a large room. In that case ... room treatment or low bass EQ might be needed.

I'd say if a few clicks of the Bass tone control makes it sound great or acceptable ... probably that's the best/easiest solution.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    RoscoeNYC likes this.
  4. RoscoeNYC

RoscoeNYC Active Member

Thanks for your comment @Rick58
    As I just got this stuff setup on Friday I'm gonna let it break in and see how it goes.
    One reason I went with the Leak amp was because it does have bass & treble tone controls on the front panel. They do help. I guess it's a "we'll see" thing after the break in.

Here's another question.
    I've searched "bass port plug" and a bunch of similar terms and the only thing I find are some oval things for car stereos.
    I don't see anything like what I'm looking for at Music Direct or Crutchfield?
    Am I using the wrong term?

Again, thanks for the help. I am enjoying my new rig.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

You're quite welcome (from all who reply I'm sure). Not sure what to call them ... 'bung' is liable to get you things you don't want to see and can't unsee ... MAYBE need to make your own from soft foam? unless Wharfedale or others make some that will fit. Some speakers come with them ...? I got my MA Silver 8 tower speakers as 'scratch and dent' and they didn't come with the spikes (which was OK), they might have come with the 'bungs', I don't know.

Possibly some rolled up socks will 'do' as a test case? just something to keep (most of) the air in. Of course you want to be able to extract them afterwards! Some folks even do 'partial' blocking or stuffing, there's a term I forget that's between ported and sealed. Can give 'best of both worlds' if done properly (or something). Aperiodic? I think.

PS: Yeah, breakin! I don't know about the Lintons, and welcome your impressions, but the bass in particular might change over 10s of hours of playing. Same with other parts of the range. Possibly the amp too, but might be a bit less dramatic. Seems like you have excellent cables too (yes! I believe/agree they ARE important). SO all that might take some time. I imagine unless there's something/part that's really 'long term' that after 50 hours' playing, everything should be settled in (including your ears/brain perception). Also see you're a pro at mixing and playing ... so definitely welcome your impressions as things settle in, and esp how the Lintons (assuming they're a large influence on the sonics) impress you. I might like to get some at some point just to try as an option with what I have now (Parasound A 21 driving MA Silver 8s in one combo).

Port plug source? has some good suggestions (socks being one!)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Gizmo90 and RoscoeNYC like this.
  6. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I thought I wasn't going to get a new amp. Famous last words. I've been running the Linton's with the Denon PMA-1600ne the last couple weeks. These speakers rock and boogie like a mofo now. I would not recommend this combo blind as it is quite dark in tone and is not the most dynamic.

7. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Same experience with marantz 8004. A little too warm, and a limited dynamic range.
    So I have experimented with amps that have twice the power, class ab and d, and the one I kept is the ps audio s300.
    Lots of power, very dynamic, great match with the lintons.
    I bet it would work well with the Denton's; I will do that experiment a day I am really bored.

Rick58 likes this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Curious about other amps with the Lintons? I have the Parasound A 21, think it'd be a good match (pretty neutral, lots of power/current, highly resolving amp).

9. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have tried the parasound integrated 200 (class D), and the parasound 2125v2 (w/ 200 preamp).
    Both were great match, but I had to hear whether or not it was worth it to spend twice as much, so here came the PS Audio s300/gaincell pre, which clearly was exactly what I was looking for... ALIVE with great power reserves.
    I have no doubt that your A21 works well... Parasound makes really good gear.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. RoscoeNYC

RoscoeNYC Active Member

Ok, I've seen it mentioned and photographed both ways.
    Logo inside or outside?
    My boxes were labeled L and R and the way the speakers came out of them the dustcover logos are on the inside.

11. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Outside.

RoscoeNYC likes this.
  12. Gizmo90

I'll just post this again:

[​IMG]

The Denon PMA1600ne did not work for me ultimately. I am sending it back today. It is a very good amp, just did not pair well with the Lintons to my ears.

Schiit Aegir, Rotel A11 Tribute, or Muzishare x7 have my eye at the moment. I wish I could listen to these amps with out have to actually buy them haha.

RoscoeNYC likes this.
  13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I can't speak from experience, but seems like the Lintons "prefer" more neutral rather than smooth/creamy amplification? But I do see folks with Denons that apparently like them. Maybe the other amps you mention aren't overly smooth/creamy but it may be a trend/concern. They do seem to require a good 4 ohm rated amp (see Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker Measurements ) which it seems the Denon is. Some folks here and elsewhere seem to like the recent Yamaha integrateds ...?

Gizmo90 likes this.
  14. RoscoeNYC

RoscoeNYC Active Member

Thanks again for the positioning tips guys.
    The break in continues.

15. insoc123

insoc123 Well-Known Member

Hi. I also have ATC SCM7 V3 speakers and B&W 706S2. The 706 S2 I'm keeping them for my home theater and while I love the ATCs microscopic detailed sound there just something satisfying and immediately gratifying when listening to the Wharfedales. I'm still in the very early break in process of my Lintons but the Dentons, which have more hours (bought them last year) sound incredibly good. It's hard to believe those speakers cost less than $500, they make you want to stay hearing music all night!

16. insoc123

Hello. QUICK QUESTION: I'm using my Lintons with my NAD M22 V2 amplifier but I want to try them with my tubes PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP amplifier and said amplifier has 4ohm, 8ohm and 16ohm connections. Being that the Lintons are 6 ohms, should I choose 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Thank you very much.

17. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

Try both, you won't hurt the amp or the speakers.

Lintons need more power, none of these amps have that.

Joshua Tree, insoc123 and Gizmo90 like this.
  18. Gizmo90

Kostas, thanks for the input. I think your are probably right. I was now thinking about the Marantz Model 30.

My grandmother lives in Mararhon, GR and my grandpas name was Kostas, by the way.

19. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

Marathon is a suburb of Athens, better than living in the center, nice place and close to the sea.

If you can afford the Marantz try it. I have lower budget, I tried class D a few years ago and saw a difference. A powerful amp will drive speakers as it should and the result is a cleaner sound with no (or way less) distortion.

20. insoc123

Thank you. Yesterday I try them at 4 ohms, and they sounded just perfect. In fact, they just SHINE with my tube amp! They certainly acquire another character or personality in comparison when powering them with the NAD M22. They sound "brighter" and more transparent without being excessively detailed. I was listening to a Tidal's playlist called "Freak Scene: '80s American Underground" that includes a lot of unpolished early alternative rock and I could enjoy those songs with a being-there sensation without the harshness you could get with a very "analytical" speaker. The sound wasn't "toned-down", you could perfectly tell it was not an audiophile vocal jazz recording but still the Lintons reproduced the music in a way that you can enjoy it for long. Very happy indeed.

ranch 22b likes this.
  21. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

So interesting the different takes on these speakers.

I just snagged a pair and was at first...underwhelmed. I paired them with my tube amp (25w in triode/45w ultralinier). Sound was a bit polite and boring. Maybe even kinda flat.

Then I busted out my old Denon 3808ci (180w for 6ohm) and they came to life. They are SO fun. Not super refined or transparent but I knew this going in.

They are surprisingly full sounding. With a serious punch. I have them about 12” away from the rear wall and slightly toed in.

They’re absolutely gorgeous (mahogany red) and built like tanks.

Color me impressed for the price.

Reesdog, Rick58, RoscoeNYC and 2 others like this.
  22. gwompek

gwompek Forum Resident

I think the Lintons like a decent amount of power. I have them paired with a Denon PMA-2000IV and that is by far the best match of the three amps I have tried with the Lintons. They really do come to life with the right amp. I am still very happy with them several months in to ownership. I need to get around to writing my impressions of them one of these days. They aren't perfect, but they always put a big smile on my face.

Rick58, Gizmo90, Boyder and 2 others like this.
  23. brownmagic

brownmagic Well-Known Member

How much of an impact are side walls to the Lintons? What is the ideal distance and what is the bare minimum distance one would need before they start sounding bad?

Luc.Benac likes this.
  24. RoscoeNYC

RoscoeNYC Active Member

Side wall would make a corner and add an early reflection point.
    Corner's are universally problematic for almost any speaker.
    Some treatment could help a little if that's the only place you can put your speakers.

25. insoc123

Hello. As an owner of both Denton 80TH and Linton 85TH speakers, I have a question for owners of the Linton. While they sound great, somehow I still prefer the sound of my Dentons in the way they create imaging-soundstage-3d of the music I play. I have tried several positions with my Lintons (even with the Logo inside/outside) and just can't get that absolutely fantastic holographic sound staging and imaging the Dentons provide. Could it be because my room is not that big for bigger speakers than the Dentons? Could it be because by design, bookshelfs image better than towers? Or could it be because the Dentons are 2way and the Lintons are 3 way speakers?) I get the same great imaging/soundstage with other bookshelf speakers I have like the ATC SC7 V3 or the BW 706 S2 though none of them are as good as the Denton. ONE THING I haven't tried yet is speaker toe in. I never toe my speakers, maybe the Lintons need some toe in? Thank you very much!

ChrisR2060 likes this.