Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

I'm curious about your report, wim1983. I imagine that the Wharfedale designers were working on evolving the 80th Denton with the newer 85th. Is the result simply not to your taste? Can you say more, about the bass too, thanks

2. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

Obviously, it's a different design the 85th Denton, not the same as 80th, I dunno what's went wrong, could be the drivers or crossover, in the end the 85th just does not sound classic as the 80th.

3. DT31

DT31 Active Member

I have had a pair of 80th Dentons for 2 years now and have been very impressed with look, build quality and the way sound which just makes you want to keep listening to music - digital or analogue. My current setup is NAS/Allo DigiOne/Cyrus sig DAC and Cyrus Mono Xs. I have been thinking of buying another pair for a second system but have hesitated with the promise of Linton 85ths coming soon. Never really considered the Denton 85ths for some reason. They never seemed to be worth the extra money over their predecessors which I think are unbeatable price wise. I am waiting for the local Wharfedale dealer Audio Affair to get their - imminently arriving Linton 85ths and will have a look and listen. I do remember how thin the Dentons sounded at first. TBO the Lintons will have to sound pretty bad for me not to part with my money. Would love to hear personal experiences of those few who have taken the plunge from this forum.

magnet and Robert C like this.
  4. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

As the Linton started to ship tuesday, someone, somewhere in the usa must have a pair installed and playing some tunes... Who will be the first to post impressions?

ThorensSme likes this.
  5. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Indeed. Though the real question everybody wants to know is how do they compare with Harbeth/ Spendor? Of course a significant price differential to be considered, but so often in hi-fi that can amount to more or less nothing.

Robert C and ChrisR2060 like this.
  6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I have a $600 pair of headphones, the Beyer Amiron Home. And I have a $1400 pair of headphones, the Focal Clear. And don't get me wrong... the Focal's are 'better'. But you know what? I don't really care. When I'm listening to the Amirons I'm completely satisfied with the sound. I listen to the Amiron's more than the Focals.

I'm less interested these days in what is 'better' and more interested in what is satisfying enough to be enjoyable.

I'm sure the Spendors and Harbeths are better. But I suspect the Lintons might be good enough to be very enjoyable.

7. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I’m still debating these or a very interesting Seas DIY kit. If I end up pulling the trigger on the Lintons, I will certainly report back.

It’s hard to believe they would deviate so much from what makes the Denton 80th so good!

8. DT31

DT31 Active Member

Couldn't agree more. I am interested in a sound that is encourages you to listen without analysing and dissecting what you are listening to. good speakers put the jigsaw together. Musicality sounds pretentious from someone who is essentially tone deaf - but I describe it as an analogue sound but with a bit more clarity and channel separation than you get from a standard analogue system. Speakers are key. So is sensible price.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  9. wim1983

Spendor Classic 3/1 price is 5 times of Wharfedalde Denton 80th, I'm not sure I should take a bet? After all, the Spendor founder is pre-BBC designer? Sound forgiving ah the Spendor Classic line speakers? I do not go for A or D line, as I really enjoy classic sound, where my understanding is musical for most music genre without sounding harsh (high background treble noise level) even at moderate or high volume?

10. DT31

DT31 Active Member

Agree Spendors are great speakers and their heritage is unarguable. Not sure about the 5:1 qualitative ratio though. I have a pair of Spendor S5E's that have been my primary speakers for 20 years. They give a neutral, non coloured sound. A little unforgiving on poor 60s/70s recordings or awkward listening spaces. The Dentons are more 'likeable' to my ears. Would love to audition the Spendor classic 3/1 speakers but as the best I would get is to listen to them in a shop wouldn't that be an even riskier bet than doing the same with the Lintons?

11. wim1983

It's bad to hear "neutral", I have it enough with the neutral Sonus Faber Sonetto I, sound quite boring, old school music does not work, does not feel emotional engaging when listening...

jdev likes this.
  12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

13. wim1983

Perhaps a good speakers, not sure old school music can be played in most engaging way...choose Denton 80th in case you not sure.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  14. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Watching Mad Men on the Dentons... Not the Polk.
    Mary Wells "i'm gonna stay"

15. jdev

jdev Well-Known Member

I got mine last week. wharfedale lintons
    Crisp and punchy for what I listen to--lots of guitar+drums. Electronic stuff come through well too, clean. The only place I feel like they're lacking is in classical. They don't sound anything like the symphony hall, but I don't listen to too much of that anyway.

16. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I imagine that if the right-hand speaker didn't have to be so near the wall, that you'd benefit quite a bit, especially with symphonies.

olson, jdev and mreeter like this.
  17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Marvelous speakers, and yes, I found it necessary to tighten the driver bolts on my SP3/1R2's.

18. james

james Summon The Queen

I think this is true for most people. Especially since most rooms are the weak link, not the hardware.

FloriduhBoy and Helom like this.
  19. tmaynard

tmaynard Forum Resident

I have the original Peachtree Audio Nova - would that be powerful enough to drive the Linton 85?

20. jdev

jdev Well-Known Member

Yeahhhhh the ideal speaker+TV placement involves blocking the window. Probably worth it. Imgur

21. LittleFrancis

LittleFrancis New Member

I just received my Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers two days ago. I purchased the complete set with stands. Mine are in the Red Mahogany finish. They are stunning beauties for sure. Even the stands scream top quality.

As background, I also own both the Wharfedale Denton 80th and 85th Anniversary Edition speakers and love them both. I have concluded that - FOR ME - the Wharfedale signature sound is my favorite sound signature in speakers. I love the warm and luscious audio blanket in which they envelop the listener ... beautiful, full, and musically articulate bass, lifelike mid-range and vocals, and incredibly smooth but very detailed highs.

Having said all that, the new Linton Heritage speakers from Wharfedale have taken the Wharfedale signature sound to breathtaking levels of audio performance. My jaw dropped at the imaging and sound stage these brought to my music - and they have only gotten better in the last couple of days as they have begun to loosen up. Seriously, the sound stage produced by these speakers, at least in my setup, is so fricking realistic and present that they brought tears to my eyes as I sat there and listened to them. I can't get enough of them. I am pulling out all of my music just to hear it on these speakers, everything from Jazz to Classic Hard Rock, from Orchestral to Blues, from Vocal to Progressive Rock ... it all sounds gloriously realistic through these speakers. I am playing old Gene Krupa, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Art Blakey, Coleman Hawkins, etc and I just close my eyes as they play right in my room in front of me. But don't be fooled by those selections, as Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Humble Pie, Montrose, Thin Lizzy, Mahogany Rush, ELP, Kansas, Rush, etc all sound equally amazing through these speakers. I am also a drummer and thus I am particularly sensitive to the imaging and sound stage of drums in music. I'll just say that these Linton speakers present Ian Paice of Deep Purple in all his left-handed drumming glory, capturing every nuance of his finesse and chops. Very, very impressive.

Again, mine are not even fully broken in yet and they have me in audio ecstasy. The vocals, OMG the VOCALS ... it literally sounds like the artist is singing on stage right in front of me and I am right up against the stage! I knew from experience and what I had learned about the design of these speakers that they would most likely be outstanding speakers, but I had NO IDEA that they could, or would, be this good!!! Even though their ability to play low are outstanding all by themselves, I am now also pairing them with dual SVS SB3000 subwoofers because they also serve as my two main front speakers in my home theater setup.

All I can say is that music (my main love and focus) and movies now fill my room with stunning realism and presence. I played the Blu-ray of "Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's" and I was in tears during some of the performances. Amazing speakers and now my incomparable favorites. It is almost scary how good these might sound after they are completely broken in, which I expect will primarily improve their already amazing imaging and sound stage.

Amazing speakers and so glad I purchased them.

22. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Soo, I guess it's fair to say that you like these speakers? :agree: Glad you're enjoying them, and thanks for the Excellent review!

I'm thinking pretty hard about trying these beauties out one day.

23. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Awesome! Would love to see some detailed pictures of the Red Mahogany finish.

24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

What amp are you using with these?

25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I envy people who are easy to please.

bgiliberti, olson and bruce2 like this.