Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I'm impressed that the logo is on the outside though. Sheer luck or did someone read the manual?

athensdrums likes this.
  2. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Sheer luck, we established the manual wasn’t read per the plants :)

3. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Curious if anyone is running the Lintons on a Rega Brio Amp? I'm currently running Klipsch Heresy 2 speakers on the Brio and they sound great.

4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Rega Research Brio integrated amplifier and look at the measurements page at the end. Looks like 50W into 8 ohms and 80W into 4 ohms. This should be plenty for the Lintons at reasonable volume in reasonably sized rooms.

The Lintons are a somewhat demanding load but are decently sensitive. Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker Measurements

ChrisR2060 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  5. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

I had Lintons running with a Brio-R. I really liked the sound. I think they complemented each other very well and they were a joy to listen to.

I was auditioning the Lintons against the KLH Model 5. I’ve since gone with the KLH in my main system and just got a Yamaha A-S2200 to pair with them.

BUT…I seriously couldn’t send the Lintons back, so they’re currently in the second system with the tv and an AVR. Over time, I’m sure I’ll do some mixing and matching between systems and I’m looking forward to when I can pair the Lintons with the Brio-R again.

6. P194

P194 Member

7. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Yes, I am. Sounds good to me!

Rick58 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  8. P194

P194 Member

A refreshing review after doubt was cast over the Wharfedale Lintons when Danny Richie released his GR Research crossover upgrade video. I'm fine if Danny wants to offer an upgraded crossover for the Lintons but I did not appreciate his portrayal of the original design. Nevertheless I can appreciate The Cheap Audio Man. Maybe you have a different opinion, but I personally don't think it takes a masters degree in speaker design and critical listening to give your impressions of an audio product.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    mikedifr0923 likes this.
  9. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

A tweaker on facebook, presumably of the Danny school, claims the Lintons are V-shaped with recessed mid-range. That's simply not what I'm hearing.

Sometimes the cheapaudioman surprises me. The way he described the Lintons is very much how I see them too. No, not the last word in detail but tonally very balanced and instruments sound real. You want to keep listening.

Toneh and Joshua Tree like this.
  10. Audio Rx

Audio Rx Active Member

not true

11. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Now that I have added the tweak (see photo) I have to say that the Denton 85th is downright fantastic! With the 5 Watt 1 Ohm resistor replacing the positive bi-wire jumper, instruments like cymbals and hihats no longer dominate, and I've tried all the problematic (sharp treble) recordings. The sound is simply perfect. If you're looking for smaller speakers than the Lintons, do not hesitate, you won't regret it.

[​IMG]

For fun, I also played Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, and I couldn't believe how good it sounded.

Naka9 and Gizmo90 like this.
  12. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Had a lot of fun with my Lintons since I picked them up very cheap in January. Paired them with my Naim uniti Star then swapped this out for a Marantz Model 30. The Marantz model 30 was too much of a good thing as the sound signature is rich and thick but boy it excelled at richly textured music. Think, Enya and Enigma.. draw dropping, but sometimes I need to rock.
    Swapped the Uniti back in, searched for speaker tests on Tidal and played a 48min Speaker Burn in Sample on a loop for two days while we were away. Close to the rear wall, sock in one port they now fly. My wife hates the look. My kids and their friends (late 20s) love the look.

Toneh likes this.
  13. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

[​IMG]

So, I've measured my room response with Lintons and it looks quite nice, with the exception of that peak at 7000Hz, which is most likely due to bright Jantzen Silver 6.8uF capacitor, or maybe due to glass window. Will swap that cap for Audyn tri-reference and we'll see...

nosliw and Gizmo90 like this.
  14. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

My first speakers (I was a teenager) were a pair of Pioneer HMP-100 speakers. I bought them new for an incredibly low price. My latest speakers are the Lintons 85th Anniversary. I sold HPM-100s decades ago but now I can finally compare them to the Lintons! And the difference is ... shocking!

Listened with Denton 85, the dissecting scalpels of Wharfedale. ;)

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Dazz, mikedifr0923 and Fender Relic like this.
  15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Denton 85's sound best to me across the board.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  16. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

As much as I can tell listening this way they sound great! Can’t wait to get them.

Love the band/song choice by the way

17. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

19. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

20. raye_penber

raye_penber .

The Aston could be appealing ... I wonder what the price point will be in the UK, and what the top end/air/separation is like in comparison to the Dentons I'm currently using now.

magnet likes this.
  21. raye_penber

raye_penber .

22. Classicrock

Comeau claims it's designed to be a small form Linton in SQ. It's likely a similar price to the Chinese made Linton.

23. raye_penber

raye_penber .

It would be interesting to compare the two in terms of SQ, back to back. If the Aston isn't significantly better than the Linton, but is at the same price point, I can't see that many people choosing the Aston unless it comes down to an issue of space.

24. Classicrock

There were customer requests for a small Linton so they think there is a market for it. I think this will sell many more units than the Dovedale. Thing is for a small monitor that goes much lower than a Linton I would suggest spend a bit more on a Buchardt 400S II or maybe look at an ATC SCM11 or 19. These speakers will have a better resale value as well.

luckyno13 likes this.
  25. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I'm gonna say the Aston will
    Given their recent crazy pricing philosophy, I'm guessing the Astons will be more than £2000 with stands.